The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-05-2024, 07:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
Mark, that is a beautiful combination! Irony happened when I saw those tuners a couple days ago and thought wow those look fantastic!

And then this morning I took down my Hanika Classical and noticed it had these tuners on it:

https://www.rubnertuners.com/hauser-...o-light-series

I have been very happy with the Rubners. I'm curious how the Scheller's would compare they look to be world class.
Thanks Aspiring. I don't have direct experience with Rubner tuners to compare them with Schellers. I see their higher end line has some of the better features that I admire on the Schellers.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 04-05-2024, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks Aspiring. I don't have direct experience with Rubner tuners to compare them with Schellers. I see their higher end line has some of the better features that I admire on the Schellers.
The one on my Hanika and the one that I linked are their top end line. From the photos the finish on the Schellers seems up another notch (although I think the Rubner already look quite good). The tuning action on the Rubner I have is up there with anything I've tried and I'm sure that some of the features that Scheller also has, like the Teflon bushing bronze gears and sealed ball bearings, contribute.

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-05-2024 at 01:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Really looking forward to seeing & hearing this guitar. Have any videos been made yet?
Old 05-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Really looking forward to seeing & hearing this guitar. Have any videos been made yet?
Well I can post a couple videos of my MH Josie Sm Jumbo Now granted this is Rosewood back and sides but does have the Western Red Cedar top. So maybe slightly different tone BUT Marks same sonic goals are at play

Now understand these are not pro studio quality so there is some room noise in the the demo I did for my new guitar. And then some performance large venue sound in the live performance video

So here is a quick demo I did when I first got it. Also note I use a pick for virtually all my playing so the quick finger style is pretty amateur
But what you can glean from these videos is some of what Mark was referring to as his over all goals for sound --how well balanced and fundamentally clean

There is a bit of room reflections going on, but you can get a basic idea

This is a performance at the Jackson Hole Center for the Arts. So this a decent "in action" video and you can see the mic is closer to my mouth, but the projection of guitar comes through nicely (the video glitches are someone bumping the camera tripod)

This video demonstrates the versatility of it. I am just strumming with the side of my bare thumb but it still carries the rhythm with clean power and presence and yet leaves sonic room for harmonic and fill note guitar parts

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2024.3 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 05-25-2024 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-25-2024, 12:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Kevwind, thanks so much for putting up those wonderful demos! I don’t have any for the Leopardwood Josie. I have other guitars out getting demos and it will be awhile before I will have this one.

Those who have played a number of my guitars know that I have a prominent voice which is affected by model and woods but my goal is always aimed at rich fundamentals.

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 05-28-2024, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Thanks KevWind for posting those demos. Yes, a wonderful sounding guitar you have. Love strong fundamentals....your guitar really cuts through the mix! Even with just that one mic on stage every note stood out.

Unfortunately, there have not been many guitars built with Leopard wood. I have played one guitar with Leopard Wood back and sides, and listened to a couple of videos. Each time I was intrigued by the sonic character of this wood.
Old 05-29-2024, 06:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
Thanks KevWind for posting those demos. Yes, a wonderful sounding guitar you have. Love strong fundamentals....your guitar really cuts through the mix! Even with just that one mic on stage every note stood out.

Unfortunately, there have not been many guitars built with Leopard wood. I have played one guitar with Leopard Wood back and sides, and listened to a couple of videos. Each time I was intrigued by the sonic character of this wood.
I find Leopardwoods’ character, specs, and tone are similar to Wenge. Like Wenge it is on the rosewood side of the spectrum with good tonal balance and a lot of presence.

Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop