The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-07-2024, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I'm mostly an acoustic player but have enjoyed getting back into electric for a while now. All through the week I play acoustic but on weekends I'll usually drag out my electric for some riffs. I've noticed that it takes me several songs before I begin to adjust my technique for electric and stop treating it like an acoustic. Then after spending all weekend riffing away, when I get back to my acoustic, I have to adjust for it again! Sometimes I'm flat out amazed at the lack of strength and nuanced touch it takes to really get around on the electric. The one I have is set up so well it almost plays itself.

Do any of your struggle a bit to adjust between the two?
I'd say I used to in the sense that I was not good at adapting my technique to electric and often mashed the strings out of tune. I read in an interview with Bill Kirchen where he said he had to learn to play with a light touch and that stuck with me. I adopted that approach consciously and carried it over to acoustic playing as well. There is a natural tendency to play acoustics hard, especially with a flatpick. Easing up especially on the fretting hand worked well for me.
Old 02-07-2024, 07:10 AM

They're not that different, so no, no big adjustment. Electric involves turning knobs, of course, so there's that.
Old 02-07-2024, 05:00 PM

It's a quick adjustment for me after decades of switching.

I agree with what others have said about developing a light touch.
That and proper setups reduce the differences.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-09-2024, 08:19 AM

I came from electric, but these days I am 90% acoustic. When going back to the electric, I notice my fretting hand gets very sloppy versus what I would consider good technique on the acoustic for the purpose of muting strings I don't intend to sound. Of course the strings are a little closer together too. No real problem or adjustment period though. I enjoy the change when it comes.

I guess the one thing that does take a minute is getting the feel for instantly prefect intonation on bends (say a full step) when switching between all these guitars and string gauges.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 02-10-2024, 07:28 AM

Developing a lighter touch has been a lifelong endeavor for me. I tend to overplay on acoustic and electric, though not as bad on electric. But everything really does sound better when I ease up with my fretting hand.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:06 PM

I switch between acoustic bluegrass style flat picking on a dred with 13s to southern rock Skynyrd/Rossington lead stuff on a Les Paul with 9.5s without thinking about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars