The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-13-2024, 10:33 AM

Default Coated Strings w/ Magnetic Soundhole Pickups?

Hi everyone. I'm sure it's been discussed here. I just got a box of Elixers as a gift. I've used them before on many guitars and I like them. I've always refrained from putting them on my regular gigging guitars because the 3 I rotate for shows all have Baggs M1s or M1As in them and I am worried the coated strings will affect magnetic output/tone. Does anyone have an opinion or experience on whether this is the case or should I have no issues?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2024, 10:57 AM

I assume you're worried about what happens when the coating starts to shed? There's nothing metallic in the coating itself. The coating is a polymer used to resist corrosion and oxidation. Your pickups will be fine.

Shayne
Old 02-13-2024, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electramone View Post
Hi everyone. I'm sure it's been discussed here. I just got a box of Elixers as a gift. I've used them before on many guitars and I like them. I've always refrained from putting them on my regular gigging guitars because the 3 I rotate for shows all have Baggs M1s or M1As in them and I am worried the coated strings will affect magnetic output/tone. Does anyone have an opinion or experience on whether this is the case or should I have no issues?

Thanks!
Magnetic pickups are unaffected by string coatings. The type of core material and composition of the wraps will affect tone, but not the coating material.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:20 PM

Great! Thanks for the advice. I was concerned about the tonal effect on the pickup. They are 80/20 which I use with my uncoated strings so looks like I'm all good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification