The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2023, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Default GHS string tension chart

Because of a recent thread I decided to check into “true medium” strings. GHS has a couple of offerings and I came across this chart for all their strings. I found it helpful.
http://www.ghsrep.weebly.com/uploads...ar-tension.pdf
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb & AC330e
Gibson J185 2016 J35 & LG2
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 11-19-2023, 11:30 AM

I can really nerd out reading this - it's really more gazing at and skimming than reading. Fascinating stuff. I can only assume that you feel the same because you did the deep-dive that fished this out of the internet sea.
There are a lot of alternate-tuning string tension threads out there that could have used this info-amo.
It's interesting to see how different the tension is from a set of extra-light to heavy (who is using heavy?), as well as the odd varieties (ground-wound, roller wound).
Very interesting share. I'm not sure it's food for thought, but it's certainly a tasty snack.
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 11-19-2023, 11:52 AM

Good info. I believe it's Santa Cruz that uses the phrase: Gauge means nothing, tension means everything... or something along those lines. I feel like I've been on the hunt for the perfect set of strings my whole life. I love the FEEL of lighter strings (as in the thinness) but wish they had slightly heavier tension. Just when I think I find the right set, I go back on the hunt. It's more fun than trying new guitars IMO.
Old 11-19-2023, 12:08 PM

I didn’t realize that GHS had a chart, but knew that D’Addario has one: D’Addario String Tension Specifications.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for sharing.

Creativity comes more easily with a good dose of fool
Old 11-20-2023, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Lillis,
Thanks for sharing your findings. I like to know this information in order to reassure myself that I’m less likely to damage my guitar with heavier strings even if tuned down.
I’ve been made aware (from a thread on AGF) of an app called StringForce that will give tension values of different string gauges at various tunings. It’s very handy.

In looking for a link to the app to share I cannot find it in the App Store. I’m not sure if it’s been discontinued but it was based on the second chapter in the book Guitarology. There are other string tension calculator apps available though.

Also, If you try the GHS “true medium” strings let us know what you think.

Best,
Tom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion