The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-09-2023, 11:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Steam Bending versus Neck Reset [who can do it in NYC]

Hi, I’ve inherited a 1950 Martin OM18, which plays decently when detuned to open C tuning, but rather tough in E standard. Could the neck be steam-bent? Would you recommend? If so, who? Also, Who in NYC performs neck resets? A few folks have rejected the undertaking. Hoping this isn’t a baritone forever.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codygibs1 View Post
Hi, I’ve inherited a 1950 Martin OM18, which plays decently when detuned to open C tuning, but rather tough in E standard. Could the neck be steam-bent? Would you recommend? If so, who? Also, Who in NYC performs neck resets? A few folks have rejected the undertaking. Hoping this isn’t a baritone forever.
Cody,
Martin did not make an OM-18 in 1950, first and foremost, but no matter. If you look at the neck block it will clearly be stamped with a model and serial number. You probably have a 000-18, which while similar, has a shorter scale than the OM models, along with other details.

There was never a steam bending technique for neck straightening. The method you're thinking of involves a heating element in a rigid metal box. It's place directly on the fingerboard, and the intention is to get the fingerboard glue to temporarily 'let go' while the neck relief is bent backwards, to a point, and then allowed to cure again in the straight alignment.

It's a very iffy technique.

There are plenty of good repair people in the NYC area who do neck sets. I would take the guitar to Rudy's in Soho, and ask them who they recommend, but I'm sure there are many others.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 09-10-2023, 10:49 AM

I took a classical guitar with a bowed neck to a tech who straightened it out with a heat blanket. I was very surprised that it worked as well as it did.

Sorry that I don't have details about the temp., the time and so forth.
Old 09-10-2023, 11:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

There are a number of ways to straighten a neck that has too much relief, but a neck reset isn’t one of them. These are two different sets of problems and solutions. A good tech can tell you what you have in a few seconds.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:23 PM

AND if the idea of steam was something you ran into regarding a 'steam neck reset', as far as I can tell this is probably the technique promoted by a luthier in Australia via the usual video site starting about four and a half years ago. Although a lot of amateurs are raving about it, it's perhaps a bit early for it to catch on widely in professional circles where a) risky procedures with customer guitars are not a favorite thing and b) procedures with uncertain short term longevity, ditto.
Old 10-15-2023, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Chris at the American Guitar Museum in Nassau County, on Long Island, rescued a Guild Orpheum D 12 fret for me. It was unplayable. It took a couple of months, but using some sort of steam process he straightened both a twist in the neck and a bow that the truss rod couldn't reach. Highly recommended. If you go to him remind him of the Guild he fixed for me.
Martin: HD-35, M-36; Gibson: J-200 Rosewood Limited Edition; McIlroy: AD-30; Guild: Orpheum D 12-fret; Yamaha: NXT-1200R; Eastman: AR804CE (with floater), DM-1; HsianMo: Art Gallery SJ-200 (Euro Spruce with Sandalwood b/s (!); Journey Overhead OF660; Eastwood: MRG Studio Resonator; MRG Octave Mandolin; Gretsch: Country Gentleman '59 VSE; Gibson: CS ES-355; more electrics . . .
Old 10-21-2023, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

In terms of people you could take the guitar to in NYC, I would suggest Evan Gluck or Tom Crandall, or Mamie and Chloe at Brooklyn Lutherie. If you are in the UWS, heading over to Ian Davlin at Lark Street Music is another option. Not sure who the tech is at Rudy’s these days—who knows, maybe the next Butch Boswell, who used to work for Rudy bitd.
Old 10-24-2023, 02:07 PM

Default Steam neck reset

Hello, if you have four weeks, a table to spare and adding the necessary clamps and a steamer + the guts too, this method by the Australian luthier; John Miner, has been discussed a plenty in the forum recently. I'm trying it for the first time on one of my own guitars now. Good luck what so ever!

P.S. Psst promise to don't tell any luthier in the NYC region, they will probably "inform" you that it doesn't work.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair