The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-22-2023, 11:55 AM

Default Deep gouge in Martin DM top

Hi all! I was standing with my guitar on, turned quickly in response to a sound in the other room, and put a serious gouge in the top of my beautiful Martin

I didn’t touch it for months, but last week I used steam followed by 1000-grit sandpaper and made more progress than I was expecting.

Now I need to finish the job and am wondering if thin CA glue will work to fill the deepest/worst part and then I can blend the finish together.

I’ve done a few finish repairs with CA glue followed by sanding and polishing, but never on an acoustic guitar. Would appreciate any tips especially on whether the CA glue will darken the wood in a good way to match the surrounding wood, and/or if I should use something else for the repair. I was also going to using shellac to blend in the satin finish but I really don’t know. Hopefully you can see the photos but I might have to work on that

Thanks!!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vZe...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oz9...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by seandco; 10-22-2023 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:15 PM

Default a thought - - warning - - never had this problem

Your Martin has a nitrocellulose finish. I think it's better practice to use materials compatible with nitro, like Duco cement, to fill low-ish areas. Spruce won't be pleased if it's flooded with CA. While it will take a good long time (weeks!) for any Duco buildup to more-or-less stop shrinking, the spruce won't object. This is not a fix-today-done-tomorrow problem.

In general I try to use finish materials that are chemically related, and that rules out CA. Making structural repairs is different.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:07 PM

One problem with superglue on spruce tops is that it can stain the top especially if the wood has been bruised from an impact, best to try and fill the void with nitro itself.

if you can only get nitro in a spray can, then spray some into a cup to dissolve out most of the thinners and then use a small tip like edge of a paintbrush etc to pic the nitro up and put it into the void
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-22-2023, 10:17 PM

okay awesome, thanks to you both, super helpful! I'll post pics of the result, fingers crossed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair