The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2022, 09:57 AM

Default Clear up my misconceptions about strings!

Hey,
since I play a lot in alternative tunings I was wondering what sort of strings would be the best (both for 6- and 12-string guitars).
So far I've been playing with the factory strings only (D'Addario EXP presumably) but I also bought a set of Elixir's Nanoweb 0.12s.

Should I get thick gauge strings for tuning low? Open G and Open C are mostly what I use and I'm going for a Daniel Bachman sort of sound (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKvFhPF0xYA - I don't mind some buzzing but I'd also love to retain good intonation which was a huge problem for my 12-string in lower tunings).

I'd be glad for any help!
Old 11-03-2022, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

I seem to do ok using 12s for tuning down, though I do best on my 2 standard scale guitars as compared to my short scale one. Now that I have a few guitars I’ve thought about using mediums or dadgad strings, but I haven’t done so yet. I sometimes go down as low as B on the 6th string and haven’t had any real problems.

Love Daniel Bachman by the way.
Old 11-04-2022, 05:54 AM

Takamine comes with D'Addario, but the last one I purchased got change to Elixir almost as soon as I walked in the door.

I use Elixir on all of my Takamine's. The only reason I don't put them on the on my less expensive guitars is I have a hard time justifying a set of strings that list at 1/3 the cost of the guitar.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 11-04-2022, 05:59 AM

The quickest way to find out is to put those 12s you purchased on the guitar and tune down. It's a matter of both sound and feel. The more powerful your thumb stroke becomes might also be a factor. If the 12s feel/sound too loose on that low G you know to purchase 13s next time, assuming your guitar is built to handle them.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 11-04-2022, 07:52 AM

I replaced the 0,012 with 0,013 while detuning to C.
Otherwise, I keep same string gauge.

I choose my strings according to the sound I want :
So I tried and used a bunch of different types and brands.
Old 11-04-2022, 09:36 AM

Thanks for your suggestions. So is it irresponsible to string up a 12-string with 13s? Is it going to bulge up the bridge area?
Old 11-04-2022, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

When I was spending all of my time in DADGAD and lower tunings I would use medium strings, including Pierre Bensusan's DADGAD set. I found though that because I capo'd often, the 56 6th string would tend to sound a bit wonky/dead as compared to the other strings. I moved away from strings that had that gauge 6th string.

I found that the mixed gauge set Elixir Nanoweb HD 13 17 24 32 42 53 work well. The Pierre Bensusans are 13 17 23 32 42 56 for comparison. Another brand, Woodtone's Country Series is 12.5 16.5 25 33.5 43.5 and 54.5 which work well also.

Now that I'm using standard more often I have gone back to 12s for all of my guitars for now.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 11-04-2022, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbuz View Post
Hey,
since I play a lot in alternative tunings I was wondering what sort of strings would be the best (both for 6- and 12-string guitars).
So far I've been playing with the factory strings only (D'Addario EXP presumably) but I also bought a set of Elixir's Nanoweb 0.12s.

Should I get thick gauge strings for tuning low? Open G and Open C are mostly what I use and I'm going for a Daniel Bachman sort of sound (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKvFhPF0xYA - I don't mind some buzzing but I'd also love to retain good intonation which was a huge problem for my 12-string in lower tunings).

I'd be glad for any help!
Hi Arbuz
As for intonation when I have guitars set-up and intonated, I provide a fresh set of strings for the intonation phase, and ask that the guitar be tuned down to D on the bottom string (C in your case) and intonated there.

I talked to professional players who frequently use alternate tunings and they were having lowest string intonated at the lowest pitch they regularly tune to.

I've had mine intonated to D, and still tuned down occasionally to C without issues (other than they are really easy to over-press…and they go sharp).

Started this about a decade back having them intonated this way, and it improved my intonation on the bottom string. The other issue is when I tune a string down one or two steps it is much more slack and it is VERY easy to overpress it and make it go sharp. VERY EASY…

I had to re-train myself to play much lighter when fretting strings 5-6. It improved my intonation on my electric as well (just lightening up my touch).

On a 12 string, I can only imagine this being even-more-the-case. Those octave strings are going to bend out of tune (by pressing them too hard). Bending strings is not only side-to-side, but an up-and-down side effect.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-05-2022, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Most of my guitars wear 11-52's. Action set extremely low. I use multiple tunings.

Standard, Open G, Open D, Drop D, Open Gsus for Rain Song, and Standard Dm for Yesterday.

Play both fingerstyle and with a pick. Seem to work fine for me.
Old 11-05-2022, 09:44 AM

Santa Cruz has a DADGAD set.
I found the lower E on the Cruz set was more robust than
Elixir.
I have a set of D'Addario Mediums on my Cruz Dread for low tunings. Works fine for CGDGAD.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:02 AM

12s are fine I just need extra D and G strings as those tend to be more prone to breaking with all the tension changing.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-05-2022, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I find that a bluegrass set 56-12 works best for open c on a 6 string….as far as 12 strings…I tune to open g and slack it down 1-1/2 steps (B to B) using Richard Gilewitz’s D’Adarrio EJ37 54-12 (with a wound octave on the low g) or slacked down 2 steps (A# to A#) using mediums 56-13. It just depends on the guitar…lots of trial and error. Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion