The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-20-2022, 11:44 PM

Default Thoughts on GS Mini Mahogany vs Martin 000Jr 10?

Hello all. With summer vacation on the horizon I got it into my head that I’d like a nice outdoor/travel guitar, even though another guitar is probably the last thing need. Basically I want something that’s easy to just toss in the car and head to the beach or park with. Likely take camping as well.

I’ve been looking at the GS Mini mahogany and the Martin 000jr 10.

To my ears both sound decent enough for what I want and what they are.

I’m not too concerned about the geometry/nut width or anything like that on either guitar.

I’m leaning toward the Martin, and like that is has solid back and sides and a slightly longer scale length.

I’m hoping to get some some input. My biggest concern/question is given the purpose of the guitar is for travel/outdoor/camping, would the Martin be more susceptible to damage from humidity/other factors due to the solid back and sides? If so the GS mini might be a better choice.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2022, 06:16 AM

I recently did a trade-up on my vacation guitar and was quite surprised by the Martin jr. It (and the GPCx I eventually went with). Both had the classic Martin tone, and were close enough that I had to have the salesman play them for me so I could clearly decide. The Jr was very nice, and being solid wood could be a plus too. UNLESS your are overly concerned with the humidity etc. as you mentioned, which is another reason I leaned towards the -x2; just a bit more tone from the bigger body, & the hopefully less worry of the hpl. (that is debatable apparently, as the top is still solid wood).

I tried a Mini years ago and wasn't that impressed - but haven't played one lately.

The Jr is a fine choice.

Last edited by jmjohnson; 06-21-2022 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2022, 01:44 PM

I travel with my GS Mini rosewood, cars and airplanes. I like it for travel because it is durable (laminate) and I have an SKB hard case which is very nice for air travel, should I have to gate check it. No experience with the Martin.
Old 06-21-2022, 02:06 PM

I've had two GS mini's including a mahogany model, and two Martin Juniors including a dreadnought model and a 000 model. I much preferred playing the Martins. The 1-3/4 nut is more comfortable to me, and even thought the scale is only half an inch longer (24" vs. 23.5"), it's noticeable.

That said, I do believe the GS mini would be more durable for toting around. But I would rather tote around a guitar I like that's less durable, so I'd still pick the Martin. This is not to say I think the durability would really be a problem, but you do need to consider humidity, especially if you're packing it in a gig bag in a dry climate.

In all fairness, the GS minis are nice guitars. I've just never been able to completely take to the Taylor sound.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:49 AM

If it's really going to be a travel guitar instead of just a small guitar, then you should go with the GS mini. As others have said, the laminate construction will be more durable and less affected by temperature and humidity. The smaller size is also critical. Have you been on an airplane lately? Holy crap it seems like everyone is flying and taking everything they own. The mini comes with an excellent case that's easy to fit almost anywhere, and hard cases are available if you want to check it.

Try some minis in different flavors. I have a hog and a spruce top with walnut back and sides. Can't really say which one I prefer--it probably depends on which one I've been playing lately.

Overall, I think the sound differences between brands of decent quality small guitars (also consider the Yamaha CSF models) are trivial. Yeah they sound a little different, but I don't know how you can claim one brand sounds better. That's up to you.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:20 AM

I have several Martin JR models. They play like real full sized guitars even with a capo. Its not even a contest imo. The GS Minis perform like toys. Put a capo on a GS Mini for a good LOL. I have yet to find a Mini that was not a thud monster when fretted on the low strings. Tone preferences aside the only 2 things the GS Minis have going for them is they have been on the market longer and they have bolt on necks. The JR is imo the best performing mass produced travel/short scale guitar in production today.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:57 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Helps make the choice between the two a bit easier. I hadn’t heard of the Yamaha CSF, so that might be another option to look into.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:10 AM

Love my Dread Junior. It sounds and plays exactly like a scaled down DRS1 (now the D10e) I used to have. Its alot of guitar for the money and one I’ll keep for life. I used to have a GS Mini too. It has good volume but the tone is held back bt the laminated back and sides and my fingers get crammed esp up the neck. Its less sensitive than an all wood guitar like the DJr but if that is not a factor no contest. D Jr all the way.
Yamaha FS800
Fender Player Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Special
Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols
Old 06-22-2022, 11:27 PM

Thanks again for the input everyone. After thinking through the input I received, I decided to go with the GS Mini mahogany top. I was able to compare it with the 000jr 10. The jr definitely felt a bit less cramped for my fingers. But I know I would have worried too much about the solid back and sides. I had gone intending to just look and was considering just getting a little Martin or baby Taylor to save a bit of money since I already have a nicer full size guitar, but the sales rep gave me a deal I couldn’t refuse. Here it is:
Old 06-23-2022, 10:46 AM

Beautiful guitar!
Old 06-23-2022, 01:42 PM

I bought my GS Mini last summer, and played everything I could get my hands on beforehand, including a Baby Taylor, a Little Martin, and a Martin Jr.

I went with the GS Mini because that's the one that said "Buy Me" when I played it. And I'm not sorry. I took it with my for a week-long trip to Maine a couple of weeks ago, and the wife, guitar, and I all had a great time.
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 06-23-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foleyone View Post
Thanks again for the input everyone. After thinking through the input I received, I decided to go with the GS Mini mahogany top. I was able to compare it with the 000jr 10. The jr definitely felt a bit less cramped for my fingers. But I know I would have worried too much about the solid back and sides. I had gone intending to just look and was considering just getting a little Martin or baby Taylor to save a bit of money since I already have a nicer full size guitar, but the sales rep gave me a deal I couldn’t refuse. Here it is:
Great guitar! I have a rosewood version and it's a great guitar! A little cramped but it sounds so good! My kids have took it away from me though.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:39 AM

Very nice looking top, congrats! I love my mini hog…
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion