The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-22-2022, 02:45 PM

Question Gibson Generation Collection: G-200 Super Jumbo Single Cutaway

Hello, I've read that G-200s have a thinner body to make playing it more comfortable. Have any of you found that this significantly diminishes its volume and projection? There's none near me that I can try.

Product L I N K
Old 06-23-2022, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo MacIntosh View Post
Hello, I've read that G-200s have a thinner body to make playing it more comfortable. Have any of you found that this significantly diminishes its volume and projection? There's none near me that I can try.

Product L I N K
Played one yesterday. Wasn't too impressed. You're not missing much.

I get it, there is a market for all price points. Gibson is finally trying to get some of that money.

It's business.

Just know the G series in no way compares to a real J-200.

Much like the walnut series. My dad fell for this. Buying a $3500 walnut 200.

And is now disappointed that it doesn't sound as good as his L-4 flat top.

Gotta say, I agree.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Played one yesterday. Wasn't too impressed. You're not missing much.

I get it, there is a market for all price points. Gibson is finally trying to get some of that money.

It's business.

Just know the G series in no way compares to a real J-200.

Much like the walnut series. My dad fell for this. Buying a $3500 walnut 200.

And is now disappointed that it doesn't sound as good as his L-4 flat top.

Gotta say, I agree.
Thanks for your informed and articulate reply. You prevented me from making a $2,000 mistake. I'd like a guitar with a soundport because the fellow I play with sings and strums so loudly, I sometimes have trouble hearing myself play.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

If you look at used Gibsons at GC, you see a lot of G series Gibsons in like new condition. That's not a good sign.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:40 AM

I am sorry and while it may be petty, if this model has that plastic sheet rock screw in the tail block others in that line have it tells me all I need to know about the workmanship which goes into them. You would be better off seeking out one of Bozeman's first budget line WM series guitars from the late-1990s and early-2000s.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:50 AM

I had a G-45 and it was thinner. I just couldn't get used to it. I also got half of what I paid for it on the trade. On the other hand, I just sold my Larrivee and got back what I paid for it two years ago- and I was selling it for much cheaper than they are going for now. I now have a J-45. I can say that it is head and shoulders above the G-45 that I had. I would save your money and get the SJ-200 if that's what you really want. Get an Eastman in the meantime. They are much better than any G series you will find.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion