The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2022, 07:35 PM

Default Best strings for Martin D Jr. 10???

What do you think are the best strings for the Martin D Jr. 10 for sound and playability?

Thank you, Doug
Old 06-21-2022, 08:06 PM

Most of the time I like Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze lights, but I didn't like them on my Martin Juniors. I thought they sounded a bit too muted. The Martin MM12 Retro strings really seemed to bring the Junior to life.

BTW, I emailed Martin a while back and asked about putting mediums on my Dreadnought Junior, and they responded with something like "You can try it, but if the bridge starts to lift, you should switch to lights." ...thanks, Martin...that's uh...good advice I guess.

Last edited by theghostwriter; 06-21-2022 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theghostwriter View Post
Most of the time I like Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze lights, but I didn't like them on my Martin Juniors. I thought they sounded a bit too muted. The Martin MM12 Retro strings really seemed to bring the Junior to life.

BTW, I emailed Martin a while back and asked about putting mediums on my Dreadnought Junior, and they responded with something like "You can try it, but if the bridge starts to lift, you should switch to lights." ...thanks, Martin...that's uh...good advice I guess.
I haven't tried the new "10" version but did have the original. I thought the little thing sounded marvelous, so that is not why I sold it. As you are likely well aware, these are lightly built with 1/4" scalloped braces. Not surprised that Martin told you not to use mediums and I appreciate you posting that response here. I'm seriously thinking about getting another one

And to the OP, welcome to the forum! I really think that strings are a personal decision but since you asked....

My favorite strings for the sapele top original I had ended up being DR Sunbeams. And while DR Sunbeams were the catalyst in my love for round core strings- there is something really great about Sunbeams, especially if you are a fingerstyle player. If you try them make sure you don't cut them until they are locked into pitch!
Old 06-22-2022, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Martin Lifespans work well on mine.
Old 06-22-2022, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Martin Lifespans work well on mine.
Good Morning! Thanks for the reply. Do you like the lights or different tension?
Old 06-22-2022, 07:58 AM

I love the way Martin Retros (Monels) sound on my D Jr-10. I use custom lights on everything.
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-75
Rubén Flores Classical
Old 06-22-2022, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

Martin Lifespan Lights

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion