The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2022, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I’ll second a Yamaha of some sort. I have a couple of inexpensive models and they are good sounding guitars that are very well made. They can take some punishment without getting damaged.
Agreed. I don't understand why Yamaha even makes their all-laminate models since their FG-800 has a solid Spruce top and is priced at $219. "I've played a half-dozen of them at Guitar Center just to amuse myself at how good a "cheap" guitar can sound if set-up properly.

Nobody deserves an all laminate guitar so long as Yamaha keeps producing these.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Guild M120 Westerly. 00 all hog with 1.75" nut. Close to what you own already but much cheaper (you may even find one second hand).
True, those are pretty good! And easily portable due to the small size; scale length is 24.75” I think. I got mine with electronics for $400 as a b stock and it’s pretty great. Kinda boxy, not much bass, but it’s tiny so that’s expected.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:25 PM

I have a a Yamaha FG150 red label and an Epiphone Bard from the 70s. Both have been great beater guitars and sound pretty good for old laminates.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:21 AM

I first bought a GS mini for my beater and realized the scale was a tad too small for me. So now my kids play it. I now have an Eastman E1OM. It works flawless for me. In my opinion the best $500 guitar you can buy. Some times it makes me double think why I own guitars that are way more expensive...
Old 06-20-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmore Fan View Post
Agreed. I don't understand why Yamaha even makes their all-laminate models since their FG-800 has a solid Spruce top and is priced at $219. "I've played a half-dozen of them at Guitar Center just to amuse myself at how good a "cheap" guitar can sound if set-up properly.

Nobody deserves an all laminate guitar so long as Yamaha keeps producing these.
Durability, that's why...
Old 06-20-2022, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Durability, that's why...
I don't know...does the typical beginner even know or care about solid wood vs laminate in terms of durability? I think they're just trying to tap into the ultra-cheap market.
Old 06-20-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith28 View Post
I don't know...does the typical beginner even know or care about solid wood vs laminate in terms of durability? I think they're just trying to tap into the ultra-cheap market.
Of course they are. The laminate top costs less to make, so they can sell it for less. Beginners know less about care, though, and so the durability could come into play. Humidity and temp changes effect them less too.

Makes a good beater...
Old 06-21-2022, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Got a Recording King RO 328 to use as a beater. But I like it so much and it is such high quality that I'm keeping it in a hard shell case. So, don't know how much of a beater it will turn out to be.
I think this holds true for many so-called 'beaters.' We don't tend to buy stuff we don't like, and if we like it, we don't want it to get messed up. As many have found out, an inexpensive guitar does not necessarily make it less pleasing to play than a more expensive one, and, in some cases, the beater may even be more satisfying.
Old 06-21-2022, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I think this holds true for many so-called 'beaters.' We don't tend to buy stuff we don't like, and if we like it, we don't want it to get messed up. As many have found out, an inexpensive guitar does not necessarily make it less pleasing to play than a more expensive one, and, in some cases, the beater may even be more satisfying.
Very true. I have some cash set aside for a "good" guitar but I'm struggling to find anything that I prefer to my <$500 beaters.

I am a guitar shops nightmare customer as I say it how it is.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 06-22-2022, 12:16 PM

Default Yamaha L series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Yamaha L series.......
That would probably be my choice also. Solid spruce top with laminate mahogany back and sides: Yamaha LL6M ARE for a larger bodied ("original jumbo") guitar or Yamaha LS6M ARE for a smaller bodied ("concert sized") guitar. In the U.S.A., each of them sells for $550 (after paying shipping and sales taxes).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion