The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2019, 11:25 AM
Charter Member

I have experienced the "bloom" on he surface finish in the summer when i tend to wear short sleeves, and I am sure that the upper arm does have some damping effect, but nothing that I've noticed.

So, no my playing does not really affect my wardrobe but I do like to dress smart (casual) when I'm performing.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Spanks get the best tone with Rosewood.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 12-03-2019, 12:51 PM

I have to admit, I saw this post the other day and rolled my eyes a bit...

Yesterday I was playing my D-18GE, which has been in its case for a few weeks. Last time I played this guitar it was warmer here and I was most likely wearing a T-shirt.

The only difference is yesterday I was wearing a heavy long sleeve corduroy shirt. Same strings, pick, room, etc...

I noticed a different tone!

I thought, maybe it's some sort of brain-bending psychological effect, or something. So, I take off the over-shirt and I'm back to a T-shirt, and the tone is different yet again!

Head explodes!

I think what I'm hearing is that the fabric in the over-shirt is just deadening some of the overtones. The guitar "rings" less, maybe, but seems to have a punchier more focused tone.

It was actually so noticeable I made a quick recording on my iPhone and played it back this morning. Friends and neighbors, it really makes a difference.

Not sure I know what it means in the whole universe of guitar nerd issues, but I coud hear a difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion