The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2018, 02:51 PM

Default New Performer

After years and years of playing and singing to just family members, I have started playing at a cafe during happy hour. I love it, but am looking for any tips and pointers that anyone has to offer. I've been playing outside, using a mic and an amp. I use ultimateguitar on an ipad for my songs/lyrics/chords, though I'm wondering if there are better tools out there. With the weather getting colder, I have just moved inside... it is a very small restaurant... about 10 tables. The owner thinks that I should go totally unplugged, though I feel the amp helps, especially with songs in the lower register. I'm working on that. Wondering if there is a solution that somehow takes the output from the amp and could send it to some bluetooth speakers (wiring is an issue in the cafe).
All in all, since I'm so new to this, I'm just looking for suggestions on all aspects of performing.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:00 PM

Default New Performer

I don’t know much about ultimate guitar but I use OnSong on my iPad and it works great. You can set up set list and scroll the songs easily. It also connects to chordie

I just got a Bluetooth stereo adapter so that I can run my phone songs to my stereo and play songs outside. It works great but the songs are in the phone and the phone is Bluetooth. I don’t know how you would make 2 non Bluetooth devices Bluetooth enable but that is a great idea. Maybe look at wireless instead of Bluetooth..

Tom

Toms Soundclick Page

Last edited by tammuz7000; 10-15-2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:36 AM

Little Bluetooth speakers are not going to make you sound good. The fact that the owner is suggesting no amp means you're too loud for inside - turn it down.

One suggestion - start memorizing/learning songs. Although some people can read/play well, doing it without constantly looking down and reading what to play/sing next will allow you to put more feeling and thought into your performance.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-16-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Little Bluetooth speakers are not going to make you sound good. The fact that the owner is suggesting no amp means you're too loud for inside - turn it down.

One suggestion - start memorizing/learning songs. Although some people can read/play well, doing it without constantly looking down and reading what to play/sing next will allow you to put more feeling and thought into your performance.
I agree with both of these statements. If you turn down so low that the amp is not providing any output, you've learned that you can, in fact go fully acoustic!

Also, though I only play songs that I have memorized, my memory isn't perfect I do have a tablet with the lyrics low and to the side. My memorization issues tend to be the first line of a verse so if I go blank, it's before I even start the verse. I can vamp on a chord while I glance down for the reminder.

Funny side story, I was once complimented on the way I built tension in the third verse by just quietly cycling through two chords for a couple of measures when, in reality, I just couldn't remember the first line of that verse.

I mean... Yeah, I TOTALLY meant to do that!!
Old 10-16-2018, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

I never play for any audience totally unplugged. If that's what they want, they want someone else, not me. Just turn down.

As for the iPad thing, memorization is best. I do not perform reading lyrics but do use an iPad while rehearsing. I bought a AirTurn Bluetooth pedal which wirelessly advances my lyrics, allowing me to use a larger font.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:47 AM

Do what the person signing the check wants unless it’s illegal or something you can’t do. If he/she doesn’t like the way it’s working, they will tell you to change. For a small venue I suggest a Fishman Loudbox Mini. It sounds great and will hold its own with 10 tables.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:53 AM

Good advice above!

I think it's critical that you get eye contact with your customers. Try and do as much performing as possible without staring at music sheets/iPads, or whatever.

In the situation you describe, I'd go pure acoustic and lay back on the volume.

Have fun!
Old 10-16-2018, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

I use an iPad for my performances and I prefer the OnSong app to organize my material. It's very versatile and I actually write my songs by typing them into the app as I write them. It's a great tool.

As far as the amp thing goes, you're going to be told to turn down a LOT when playing small indoor venues. It's just part of the game. I have a hard time going totally acoustic because I will blow out my voice trying to sing over my guitar on some songs. One thing you can try is place your amp in front of you tilted back like a monitor. That way you get more of the amp sound than the house does. You'll be able to lower the volume and hopefully make everyone happy.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-16-2018, 08:27 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I have no experience with the Bose S1 Pro, but its reviews are excellent. It may be the perfect small PA for your needs. It also runs on a battery with long power time. Perhaps learn more about it by searching in the “Acoustic Amplification” subforum.

Here are a couple of threads to get you started:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...hlight=Bose+S1
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=507371

Last edited by Acousticado; 10-16-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:39 AM

We generally prefer to play through an amp just because the added effects like reverb really take the performance to new levels. But playing unplugged not only offers you (and them) a different perspective, it's quite liberating to be free of all technology. Another thing playing totally acoustic will do for you is to take your guitar playing and singing to a whole new level.

Without the aid of amplification you alone will have to provide the dynamics both with your guitar playing and singing. I have found that playing unplugged is one of the best ways to improve both your singing and playing. Trial by fire. You very quickly learn where and when you need to play/sing louder or softer. I think everyone that performs should spend an equal amount of time doing so totally acoustic.

If the venue owner suggests you go unplugged, do it. It will be an excellent learning experience for you. You will be quite surprised how much you learn about yourself and your abilities. It's also great to NOT be worrying about your amplified tone and other issues like feedback, EQ, notching, gain-staging, reverb and effects, guitar/voice levels. The vast majority of my distractions when performing are wondering/worrying about the amplified tone!
Old 10-16-2018, 05:05 PM

When you amplify acoustic you have to get
a level of quality expected as if you were
actually playing acoustic . Some units can
obtain this at a level that's acceptable to
a quiet bistro crowd. Some units just can't get this
quality without breaching that threshold .
I am of the school that power is not volume.. Although it can be.
But power will give you quality at a lower volume.
You don't say what brand amp your using ?
But most amps are in the 30-100 watts range.
They have to be louder to get the sound quality
you want. Something in the 1000 watt range
will give better quality at a lower volume.
I too use the Onsong app. Best 20 bucks i ever spent.
The songs will scroll on your ipad. And you can adjust
the scroll time to suit your text zoom level.
so if your like me (Near sighted) then enlarging
the text is good but then you have to change the scroll time.
You can also change the key pretty quick.
Great app. Uploading tabs from ultimate
is slick and goes right to onsong. mp3s are attached
to the Tabs. Makes it a great practice tool. I can go on and on a bout onsong..hmm jingle.

Last edited by varmonter; 10-16-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:40 PM

Wow, thanks for all this input. Many of you made the same points:
1) Learn to play from memory... couldn't agree more. I feel that I connect much more with the songs I have memorized. I just need to add more songs to my memory. Great tip.
2) Give it a try unplugged. I will give it a shot... but one of you pointed out the issue I faced.... about an hour into playing unplugged, I felt that my voice was wearing thin. I also felt that anyone who was more than 10 feet away couldn't hear when I sang in a lower register. I may just need to work on a set of songs that are suited to unplugged.
3) Onsong seems to be a big hit. I'll check it out.

Thank you for all your responses.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:58 PM
Charter Member

I have a Fishman Loudbox Artist. I bought an amp stand, it angles the sound upward at about 45 degrees, maybe more. I keep the volume fairly low, but it can fill a small room this way, and doesn’t overpower the listeners. I have a wireless system, a Line 6 G10, and can check the guitar volume. I don’t have a wireless mic, so I may ask a patron or employee if the guitar and vocal balance is good. So, an amp stand may help.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion