The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-23-2018, 07:48 AM

Default Using just fingers and thumb

Hi,
I have been practicing for a little while now, (just a few months). Been using JustinGuitar. I just wondering if any one has gone thru his beginner course just using your fingers? The reason I ask is because I had a hand injury, (picking hand) a few years back and it is painful and hard for me to use a pick, which has kept me from practicing for any length of time. No more than a few minutes at a time. I have tried strumming with my fingers and thumb, and it is a lot easier on me. Since fingerpicking is what I would like to after I get some basics down, is it OK to go thru a beginner course like this?
Thanks,
David
Old 07-23-2018, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruce View Post
Hi,
I have been practicing for a little while now, (just a few months). Been using JustinGuitar. I just wondering if any one has gone thru his beginner course just using your fingers? The reason I ask is because I had a hand injury, (picking hand) a few years back and it is painful and hard for me to use a pick, which has kept me from practicing for any length of time. No more than a few minutes at a time. I have tried strumming with my fingers and thumb, and it is a lot easier on me. Since fingerpicking is what I would like to after I get some basics down, is it OK to go thru a beginner course like this?
Thanks,
David
Hi David…

Some of us (who have never endured injury) and only use fingers and thumb to play guitar (acoustic and/or electric).

Of course it's fine for you to go through the course with just your fingers and thumb. There are no hand-police passing out tickets or fines for not using picks!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-23-2018, 10:58 AM

Go for it, David. Play with just your fingers. Many players never use a flat pick. At some point you may decide to use a thumb pick, but many of us just use our fingers.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:08 AM

You may use only fingers and thumb when playing guitar.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:00 PM

Another non-picker here! Go for it!

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 07-23-2018, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Jeff Beck and Vince Gill both spend considerable time playing with just their fingers, so you can too

https://on.soundcloud.com/ZaWP
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 PM

I don’t use a pick—one less thing to keep up with.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 07-24-2018, 04:27 AM

Another fingers-only guy (not even a thumbpick):
Old 07-25-2018, 05:06 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone. I am going to continue studying but with out the pick. Thanks again.
David
Old 07-25-2018, 12:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

absolutely. If it sounds good, it is good, I always say
Old 07-26-2018, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruce View Post
Hi,
Thanks,
David

You'll be fine.

I have a medical issue in my picking hand too so really need to fully commit to making the switch to playing without a pick (why cause myself pain if I don't have to right?). When I do, I figure I will use stuff from his site to get me going on it (and good on you for choosing a good site to learn from).

I am not sure if you want to play just using fingers to pluck the strings, or if you want to go to full on fingerstyle (ie. patterns and such). For me, I just want to pluck with my fingers instead of a pick (ie. like Jeff Beck does). If that is your goal fair enough, but if you want to go full on fingerstyle then you might want to consider the fingerstyle course in Gibson's Learn and Master Guitar series.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:33 PM

I started with fingers for two reasons -

1. They were already a natural thing for me to use versus learning to use a flat pick.
2. By sheer weight of numbers they create more musical variety than a flat pick ever will even in the most skilled hands.

Stay with it, learn picking patterns and then learn to mix them.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Stay with it, learn picking patterns and then learn to mix them.
That's when the real fun started for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write