The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 09:47 PM

Default A Trip to Gallagher Land

We took a trip to Gallagher Guitars in Wartrace, TN. The purpose was to return Gary's Doc Watson for refinishing. I took my Custom Rosewood D to see if I could find out more about it.

Wartrace is a cute little town in the beautiful rolling pastureland of middle Tennessee, with picturesque small horse farms and tidy white fences. Gallagher is located right in the middle of town. Three people work in the workplace; Steve Gallagher, third generation Gallagher constructor, an associate builder, and a young woman in the office. That's all. Several years ago there were five or six emloyees, but Steve says he's happier and it's easier to go with a smaller output and smaller staff. It leaves him more time to actually build guitars instead of being stuck with bookwork.

We first looked at my guitar. Steve said he remembered working on it. It had been ordered through a store in Atlanta. The finish is poly, but still in good shape, although there had been some slight lifting on my neck, which I had repaired. He said that my soundboard was either Alpine spruce or Adi, although he guessed Alpine.

The Doc Watson had moderately serious finish issues. Steve said that he would remove the poly and replace for $600. He also offered a return of the Doc Watson in exchange for credit towards a new Gallagher of Gary's choosing. Gary jumped on that offer, as he had been wanting one like mine. Steve already had a completed rosewood body with Adi top. Gary wanted a slothead and 1 7/8" neck. All that is left is the waiting.

We then drove over to the cute little burg of Bell Buckle for a home cooked meal at the Bell Buckle Cafe.

A fun day for all.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:34 AM

Great place and wonderful people . I've been there . No doubt they gave you a tour of " The Book " . In fact , if you are having work done there , you are in it . While you are in the area , you may want to find some Sourwood Honey . Dotson's Produce Market on 41A between Winchester and Decherd will have some if you get that way .
It is such a beautiful area .
Old 10-13-2017, 08:43 AM

I assume you are George, who is Gary? Did you take any pictures while you were there? Would love to see the shop, town, and guitars.

........Mike
Old 10-13-2017, 10:13 AM

I am George. My friend Gary is a small time guitar builder and owner of various nice instruments. We also took Chuck, fellow picker and owner of some nice instruments as well.

We took no photos. I don't know how to post them anyway and appear to be too sorry to learn!

Steve Gallagher showed us a number of guitars he is making of of cherry. He said that he had discovered a stash of cherry wood in his grampa JWs garage with enough aged cherry wood to last him a lifetime.

Steve Gallagher has a shop dog which he claims is the smartest canine on Earth. When Steve asks "Would you rather play a Gibson or be a dead dog?" the pooch hits the floor and appears as if grave yard dead!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion