The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-04-2017, 11:30 AM

Default Guitar happiness is a new set of strings

By the standard of many players on this forum I'm a pretty mediocre player, but my hearing is pretty sensitive and discriminating in a musical sense. I have love/hate periods with my instruments. And it often comes down to STRINGS.

I'd given my 814ceDLX a second Tonerite treatment and killed off a set of SUS strings, so decided to put a set of "new-used" Elixir Nano 12's that I'd used for a couple days of testing. They were ok, but never thrilled me, as they didn't when they were fresh out of the box (or I never would have taken them off in just a few days). With a couple week between gigs I decided to throw the Tonerite on again for a few days, knowing I was going to change strings today, two days before my next gig on Friday.

So I put on a fresh set of Straight Up Strings medium tensions, tuned it up, stretched em out, retuned and played for a bit. This guitar sounded glorious. With a new set of these specific strings it sounds like no other.

As a side anecdote, after playing for a bit I hung it up on the wall next to two other acoustics and sat down at my desk. Something got stuck in my throat and I coughed loudly... and could hear guitar strings resonating in the background for several seconds! The 814 is the furthest away, about 10 feet from where I was sitting WITH MY BACK FACING THE GUITARS. Was it all three, I wondered? So I went over, muted two, re-enacted the cough, then muted two more... And the 814 was the one, and only one resonating from the cough! I'm sure the lighter weight of this guitar aids in its resonance.

And while I might sound like I'm connected with Straight Up Strings I assure you I am not. My Martin gets DR Sunbeam 12's, my Epiphone gets Martin Marquis strings (or alternately MSP4100's) and my Yairi gets John Pearse. My point being that every guitar has a set of strings that brings out the best in each guitar. I'm sure glad that the preferred strings on my guitars don't cost $16/set .

JMO.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-04-2017, 12:35 PM

I can agree that Elixirs are not my favorite strings for my 814ce. I had one last set laying around and put them on a month ago just to confirm that I hate them haha. I used to love them, but I don't like them on the 814ce. I opt for John Pearse lights.

As light as this guitar seems to be built, I would be nervous putting mediums on it. I'm going to stick with lights from here on out....until I FINALLY get the nerve to sell it for a Martin.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:53 PM

See my signature.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

I agree with your thread title but fr me - it is always common or garden Daddario Ej17s.

For sme strange reason, late one night a couple of weeks ago,I decded to buy some Elixir Nanos 13-56 for my Santa Cruz, mainly because I'm leaving it out in my lounge at present and I thought it would be nice to have strings that wouldn't lose their new string look so quickly.

At first I hated the dull sound, but playing the guitar this afternoon with my pal Mando Bob, I was enjoying the sound - but I'm not changing from D'adds any time soon.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Interesting vibration across the room report.

If I want woody tone I go for other strings but if I want a modern, dramatic tone there's nothing like nano's. The lower finger squeak and the bounce back to my fingers is hard to beat.
I have 2 out of 7 acoustics with "woody" strings. And one with Monels (that are very interesting).
Old 10-04-2017, 01:22 PM

I have found that with the Straight Ups you get exaggerated overtones and sustain.
This can be highly beneficial on a guitar that doesn't have those characteristics by it's own nature. While an 814ce is a Rosewood guitar, I think it can be "souped up" with those strings.
I own a very resonant Eastman E 10 00 SS which is Addy and Mahogany.
The Straight Ups took that guitar to a level of "sweetness" that I really like.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-04-2017, 01:32 PM

I have also found that the age of the strings can spark off love/hate periods with my guitar. With a new set of D'addario EXP16s on my Crafter, I would be quite happy recording with it. By the time they have been on a few months, it sounds and feels cheap. However, not all strings are the same. I once tried a set of cheap Rotosounds - they were awful. At the other end of the price range, I dislike Martin Lifespan SPs as they take away the zingy sound that I love and make it sound more 'woody'. I feel there is a reason why guitars are shipped with a certain kind of strings - the manufacturers know what brings out the best sound.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Hi JMO,

Glad to hear your new strings have brought you better sound. That's how it works for me, too. New strings are almost as good as a new guitar!

- Glenn
Old 10-04-2017, 07:05 PM

I totally agree!

Martin acoustics
Fender and Gibson electrics
Old 10-05-2017, 04:17 AM
Charter Member

At the moment I get my string goosebumps from Newtone strings out of the UK, but after Vindibona's enthusiasm I am keen to try SUS.

Nice that we have so much choice!

Col
Old 10-05-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I agree with your thread title but fr me - it is always common or garden Daddario Ej17s.

For sme strange reason, late one night a couple of weeks ago,I decded to buy some Elixir Nanos 13-56 for my Santa Cruz, mainly because I'm leaving it out in my lounge at present and I thought it would be nice to have strings that wouldn't lose their new string look so quickly.

At first I hated the dull sound, but playing the guitar this afternoon with my pal Mando Bob, I was enjoying the sound - but I'm not changing from D'adds any time soon.
Elixirs usually take a few days to settle and develop. Mine always sound better after about a week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion