The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 11:58 AM

I have two hog guitars, a Standard D-18 and Pono cedar/hog parlor. I've tried Monels on both and though I really liked the warmth they broght to the lower wound strings, I could not stand the metallic "tink" on the B and high E strings. I left them on for two months trying to acquire the taste for them but just could not do it. I've since tried D'Addario Nickle Bronze on both but they didn't have the low end warmth of the Monels and they lasted about a month. They did seem to tame down the overtones of the Pono but now they just sound dead and will get removed over the next couple days. I'm back to Elixir nanos on the D-18 (nice sustain) and EJ-17s on the Pono. The PB strings just sound best to my ear. I don't mean to bash because everyone has different tastes but I will be staying away from Monels and Nickle Bronze strings.
Dirty 30's Parlor 7 series
2007 Redline Rambler Square Neck Resonator

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCB1...K6oxpANeRr1_oQ
Old 07-25-2017, 12:06 PM

Like I said in another thread, I jumped on the nickel bandwagon. With my Taylor (sitka/ovangkol), the Martin Retro strings made the Taylor sound even more articulate. Yeah, I lost overtones and some lows (from the Clapton's Choice PB's), but gained clarity, fundamental tone (which I really love), smoothness, playability and the fact that tone cuts through anything.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion