The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper64 View Post
Like someone mentioned earlier... I assume this dealer... who has a great reputation... would do something to make it right if the guitar shows up and sounds unsatisfactory or even dead.
I wouldn't expect, or ask a custom builder to do that. Unsatisfactory is a personal preference and not a build error. I've played dozens of high end guitars that had I been waiting for it for months on a custom order, I would have been sick. Custom ordering something doesn't make it a great guitar, it's a gamble I would never take.

There are many of them online for sale at a deep discount.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-25-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
I wouldn't expect, or ask a custom builder to do that. Unsatisfactory is a personal preference and not a build error. I've played dozens of high end guitars that had I been waiting for it for months on a custom order, I would have been sick. Custom ordering something doesn't make it a great guitar, it's a gamble I would never take.

There are many of them online for sale at a deep discount.
I don't expect it to be sub par.... This is exactly the guitar I wanted and I think Martin will do the job Martin always does - TOP NOTCH! And at a great price....
[/B]"What does it profit a man to gain (all the greatest guitars in) the world and lose his soul" Paraphrased
Old 07-25-2017, 07:59 AM

It's odd how "risky" ordering a custom guitar is on this forum. It seems that a lot of the custom guys are happy with their guitars. It can't be that bad if they keep ordering custom after custom.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:08 AM

I think the OP has made a great move. He has ordered what he wants for his guitar... Isn't that the main point? It sounds like he's done his homework, and will be getting a good value in the process. That makes it an even better move.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
I think the OP has made a great move. He has ordered what he wants for his guitar... Isn't that the main point? It sounds like he's done his homework, and will be getting a good value in the process. That makes it an even better move.
...but what if he doesn't like it? What if Martin takes 1 week longer than expected. RUINED RUINED!
Old 07-25-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
...but what if he doesn't like it? What if Martin takes 1 week longer than expected. RUINED RUINED!

Or so some might say... ;-)
Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorplayer View Post
Then again, you're a Taylor Player. Most consistent factory guitars ever.

Of the big makers, Gibsons may be the least consistent in my opinion, and Martin falls somewhere in the middle. Any mail-order Martin, custom or not, is a risk and I personally wouldn't take it. Then again, I'm someone who constantly vacillates between thrifty and broke.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Then again, you're a Taylor Player. Most consistent factory guitars ever.

Of the big makers, Gibsons may be the least consistent in my opinion, and Martin falls somewhere in the middle. Any mail-order Martin, custom or not, is a risk and I personally wouldn't take it. Then again, I'm someone who constantly vacillates between thrifty and broke.
I can agree with all of this. As consistent as Taylor is, the custom shop isn't doing things like fanned frets, deep OMs, 28.6" scale baritones, etc.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper64 View Post
Like I said I got exactly what I wanted for a lot less money. BTW not impressed with the authentics. I played one before ordering this. GE forward shifted adirondack 1/4 bracing with a progressive tone bar is not far from authentic bracing and sounds better to me.
What is a progressive tone bar?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
Most of the higher end Martins I have purchased or played at shop have been pretty consistent( very very good).Under the $2k price point however is a different matter.

We have Olson just down the road here in the Northern twin cites suburbs.I have toured his shop and of course all of his product is all custom.

Each of his completed guitars that we tried that day were unique in it's voice.

Don't know how one can predict the true tone of the final product in any of the custom scenarios.

Part of the enigma with any unique naturally made product...
Remember with Mr. Olson...

He does not individually "voice" guitars. He builds all of them to the same basic spec's, and whatever difference you hear in the voice, he attributes to the specific individual differences in the wood of each guitar.

duff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion