The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTP View Post
Year 20,014? Futuristic guitars made out of space age materials and being wielded by our great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildren?

Sorry, being a wise guy here.
Methinks that is a Denny Zager song.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:16 PM

GanstaPat - only listing the one Bedell in your signature? Signs of favoritism?
Old 09-25-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
GanstaPat - only listing the one Bedell in your signature? Signs of favoritism?
That one is the keeper. That guitar along with my D-42 and my Guild F-40P may be with me for the rest of my life or at least a long time. One of four things has to happen:

1. Someone takes it
2. It gets badly damaged or destroyed
3. I fall upon grave financial misfortune
4. Something with the same sound profile just blows it away and I can bare to part with it

The TB-17 and at least one of the other Bedells are already slated as gifts for family members.
In fact I may redo my signature to only include the "Permanent collection"
Old 09-25-2014, 04:25 PM

I know I'm going to get destroyed by all the Martin loyalists, but I'm only speaking the truth in my opinion and observations. So, after purchasing six of the Bedell's, 3 different OM models and 3 different dreads (though 2 were the TB-17-G), I have been consumed in playing each and every one of them, getting used to each one's voice and subtleties and enjoying every minute of it. It's not everyday (at least for me) that I can just walk into a room and have my pick of six awesome sounding and looking instruments to play. But, I also know while I could afford it, it's just not sensible to keep all of these guitars. So, I started by listing my TB-18-G on the AGF classifieds yesterday. Even as beautiful and sweet as she is, I have to start culling the herd somewhere.

Having become so immersed in these Bedell's I started to wonder myself if they really are this good? Is it my lack of reference of having nothing other than a Tacoma and Alvarez OM to compare them to really making them sound and look better than what they really are? So, on a whim, I headed down to my local GC after work yesterday to do some real comparisons against the big boys such as Martin and Taylor.

I started by picking up a Taylor rosewood dread, didn't even notice the model number and probably wouldn't have remembered anyway and played a few songs. The first few with a pick and then some fingerpicking thrown in. The Taylor sounded good but not noticeably better or worse than any of my Bedell's. So, then I picked up a Martin, the DCPA4 which is one of the Performing Artist rosewood cutaway dreads. The tag read $1,499, I believe. Anyway, I play one song and the guitar just sounded so lifeless. Maybe it was my playing or maybe it was the strings, but it sounded so underwhelming. So, now for the real test. I pick a D28 off the wall. According to the tag, it had the nitrocellulose finish. I'll be honest, what happened next was really a shock. It's been a few years since I played a Martin and then it was a vintage D-35 which of course, sounded like heaven. But this D-28 just sounded lifeless compared to the cedar Bedell's I bought. I thought, it must be the strings so I picked another one off the wall. Same thing - really no comparison to the cedar dreads or even the spruce/sapele dread for that matter. And then I really began to look them over. The fit and finish were not better or worse than the Bedell's, but after seeing so much real maple binding on a guitar, the white boltaron just looked ugly. And the price tag was $2,499.

Then it really hit me what a great deal this was. All solid wood guitars with appointments you only see on guitars much higher in price. The dovetail neck, ebony fretboard and bridge, the bone nut and saddle. I then got in my car, drove home, and removed the TB-18-G from the classified ads as quickly as possible. I know that you'll never convince certain people to buy a guitar unless it has a certain name on it or is manufactured in a specific country. But the bottom line is, I have six wonderful guitars in my possession that look, sound, and play wonderfully and all six cost less than what one "name brand" guitar would've cost me which makes owning and playing them even more enjoyable.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Just as an update about my mb18g......I love it.
I find myself grabbing it exclusively over my Yamaha, and it makes my fender sound like a dollar store toy.
I particularly like the ever-so-slightly wider nut and string spacing vs. the yamaha. It just feels right, plays nice, and sounds great. Now I'm almost afraid to go try a nicer guitar with a 1.75 nut.
I put some exp lights on it and didn't like the sound or squeakiness. I have some eb earthwood med/lights on it now, and while I don't think they're ideal, they aren't squeaky and they provide a nice warm tone with OK volume.
Overall, I couldn't be happier with this guitar for $339 out the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17sd View Post
I got my MB-18-G a couple days ago.
This thing is beautiful.
I would say that this is definitely a sreal at $3xx dollars.
Thanks AGF for informing of this great deal.
Congrats on the guitars! I am still loving my MB-18-G also, and pick it over the MB-28-G regularly. When I use a thick tortex pick it has much of the same punchiness of the MB-28-G but still retains some of the extra complex tone that I feel it has over the 28. The 18 has a sexy, breathy type tone that reminds me of Kathleen Turner's voice or something. It's less defined and still a bit less punchy than the MB-28-G but has some extra complexity. When strummed that breathy voice of the 18 translates into a familiar organic acoustic sound.

The narrower nut width requires unerring accuracy but when I feel like complaining I think of violin or mandolin players and then sit back down and get back to playing again. What these bring to the party far outstrip what they demand and while the feel and playability of my Yairi is superior, comparing the tone results in a fairly even affair.
2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341
Old 09-25-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
Sound port cover showed up last night. Pretty quick turn around. Piece of black rubber with the Bedell logo engraved on it. Fits snugly and securely without too much effort. Seemed to improve bass response but I did not have the chance to test it in a manner where I can really be sure. I just played for a few minutes before I called it a night. Unfortunately probably will not be able to for awhile due to my travel schedule.

They threw in a couple of nice looking picks too. Ironic because at the recommendation of my music mentor I have just decided to learn to use a pick despite the fact that I love using my fingers for everything.
Did you ordered it directly from Bedell?
Old 09-26-2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliangwb View Post
Contact Bedell, I emailed but others called, either way they have them and sent one out really quickly, free of charge. I got stickers with my port cover.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremiahB. View Post
I know I'm going to get destroyed by all the Martin loyalists, but I'm only speaking the truth in my opinion and observations.
Well, I like Martins but I won't destroy you for your opinion

I've been playing the MB-28 back to back with my D-18 and I like them both about equally. If Bedell used a thinner Nitro based finish, and it didn't have the blemishes mine has it'd probably put it over the top. I have played Martins that are better then the MB-28 but they also cost 6 - 10 times as much.

I'd easily say that it beats most of the Martin GP and OM body PA series which always sound a bit compressed acoustically to me. I really think those were designed more for amplified tone. Comparing apples to apples, the tone is reasonably close to a Martin M-36. The M-36 has more bass and doesn't overdrive as much under heavy strumming but it has a similar sound. The Bedell is slightly smaller then the M-36 and just a bit more mid-rangy. I'm really liking the trebles on it though. I think the sound of the MB-28 is better then the new Taylor 814 I tried a few weeks back (wasn't overly impressed with the new version, might have been a bad example, I need to try a few more to see if I played a dud) I didn't think the Taylor was bad, just not anything special and at that price, I'd want a lot of special

I'm not into bling so much so to me understated look of the wood binding and rosette on the Bedell are nicer then a lot of abalone or whatever. I do like the Martin bindings though, especially the tortoise binding on the new 18 series but the bindings on the 28 series look pretty classic to me as well.

I'm really happy with the purchase, just a great instrument overall. I think I need to get a pro setup done though, still having some problems tracking down a few buzzes on the bass side and I think strings 1 and 2 are cut just a little too low on the nut. I can deal with that though… setups are an issue with every guitar.

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 09-26-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliangwb View Post
Alian:

I called and talked to Anne about it. She was very personable and got the job done quickly.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Just as an update about my mb18g......I love it.
I find myself grabbing it exclusively over my Yamaha, and it makes my fender sound like a dollar store toy.
I particularly like the ever-so-slightly wider nut and string spacing vs. the yamaha. It just feels right, plays nice, and sounds great. Now I'm almost afraid to go try a nicer guitar with a 1.75 nut.
I put some exp lights on it and didn't like the sound or squeakiness. I have some eb earthwood med/lights on it now, and while I don't think they're ideal, they aren't squeaky and they provide a nice warm tone with OK volume.
Overall, I couldn't be happier with this guitar for $339 out the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17sd View Post
I got my MB-18-G a couple days ago.
This thing is beautiful.
I would say that this is definitely a sreal at $3xx dollars.
Thanks AGF for informing of this great deal.
I got my MB-18-G to complete my Bedell Trifecta, and I could be more pleased!
I was wondering whether I was getting guitars that would be too close in tone, but they all have an individual voice, and I love them all! What a great ride this had been-- and we'll have the Bedell Blowout Club (or Bedell Anonymous) folks to check in with re: experience, accessories, aging, or just people who will know what u're talking about when you say, "I love this guitar!"
Breedlove Passport All-Hog Parlor 2014
Larrivee OM-02 2004
Guild GAD F-130
Seagull Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo 2011
Zager ZAD 20 2004
Takamine GS430S
Martin LXM
3 Antique Classics

Good Things Come in Small Packages
Old 09-27-2014, 03:42 AM

Hey guys, can at least 3 of you go to NOTP's thread "Soundclip Shootout! Guess which clip is..." I want to know which is the Bedell, and he's waiting for 30 guesses...27 so far. Thanks!
Breedlove Passport All-Hog Parlor 2014
Larrivee OM-02 2004
Guild GAD F-130
Seagull Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo 2011
Zager ZAD 20 2004
Takamine GS430S
Martin LXM
3 Antique Classics

Good Things Come in Small Packages
Old 09-27-2014, 06:34 AM

I have several questions and some observations.

- What strings are you using on your TB and MB’s?

I didn’t care for the strings that came on the Bedell guitars so I put Elixer Nano-web HD light 80/20’s on all my acoustics, even the dread. First time I’ve tried these strings. I normally use Nano-web 80/20 lights.

They do give the smaller body guitars a bigger sound, but IMO, at the expense of the treble and they’re almost too balanced, if that makes any sense. They sound better on my Taylor than the Bedell’s and I also like them better on the TB than the MB. They add too much mid-range on the MB. They’re expensive so I wont change them out until its time, but I’m not overly impressed with the new HD’s.

- Is there a consensus on the best cases for the TB and MB’s?

I’ve read a few post, but haven’t seen allot of chatter about cases, which is a little surprising since these guitars came with a pretty cheesy bag. I’d like to find the Bedell cases designed for these guitars, but I’ve looked and can’t find anything.

- Are you putting on pick guards? If so, what are you using?

I’m primarily a strummer and even without a guard I don’t really tend to hit the top with my pick, but I’d like the protection just in case.

- Lastly, are you installing electronics?

I’ve read quite a bit on this subject and I’m leaning toward installing the K&K mini in all my acoustics. Any thoughts about these or better alternatives? I like a passive pick-up and these seem to fit the bill. Thoughts?
Old 09-27-2014, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dotson View Post

I didn’t care for the strings that came on the Bedell guitars so I put Elixer Nano-web HD light 80/20’s on all my acoustics, even the dread. First time I’ve tried these strings. I normally use Nano-web 80/20 lights.

They do give the smaller body guitars a bigger sound, but IMO, at the expense of the treble and they’re almost too balanced, if that makes any sense. They sound better on my Taylor than the Bedell’s and I also like them better on the TB than the MB. They add too much mid-range on the MB. They’re expensive so I wont change them out until its time, but I’m not overly impressed with the new HD’s.

I’ve read a few post, but haven’t seen allot of chatter about cases, which is a little surprising since these guitars came with a pretty cheesy bag. I’d like to find the Bedell cases designed for these guitars, but I’ve looked and can’t find anything.

I’m primarily a strummer and even without a guard I don’t really tend to hit the top with my pick, but I’d like the protection just in case.

I’ve read quite a bit on this subject and I’m leaning toward installing the K&K mini in all my acoustics. Any thoughts about these or better alternatives? I like a passive pick-up and these seem to fit the bill. Thoughts?
I'm using D'Addario EJ16's and they sound good on the MB-28-G. I am not putting a pick guard on but I am not using this guitar for heavy strumming. If I was I would probably get a clear one in the Martin OM shape.
Not planning on electronics, I don't have a need for them.
Still deciding on a case. The bag actually isn't too bad, I've been using it the last couple of weeks and it works to carry it around, not all that protective but against minor scrapes and dings it's OK…
-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 09-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dotson View Post

These are many of the same questions I've had. I have the mb18.
As for strings, I'm liking the john pearse pb lights at the moment, but planned to try 4 or 5 different sets. I've tried earthwood 80/20 med/lights that weren't bad but lacked a little sparkle, IMO. I didn't really like the squeakiness of the exp lights. I have a couple of sets of martins I'm going to try. The martin silk & steel lacked depth, but dang they play so easy.
One case that supposedly worked well with the mb18 is the tkl artcore for the ibanez AF75. I haven't tried it. I'm also interested in cases, but my fender hardshell works for now.
As for pick guards, I have no idea. I don't mind it without one, but I hear what you're saying. I sorta like them (and I'm sure many would fit or you could cut one), I just haven't really looked into it.
My next upgrade will be electrics. K&k sounds promising. That's exactly what I'd like to try.
Old 09-27-2014, 09:51 AM

I went into a local music store yesterday played a cedar topped Bedell guitar and if the neck had another name on it the guitar would of been thousand's. It truly sounded deeper than my Gs-7 I owned. I finally see/hear what all the noise is around these guitars. I was shaking my head in disbelief the whole time, neck felt great,sound was amazing and the guitar itself was stunning to look at.

I can't imagine picking one up for the blowout sale price.... you guy's must feel like you hit the lottery. Congrats to all and for those who haven't played one try one out they are really incredible.

Lots of very nice new and vintage electric guitars and amps.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
all solid, bedell