The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2003, 12:39 PM

Default More Than One??

Every now and then I'll notice that somebody will have 2 or 3 of the same model guitar.

I don't mean 2 dreads or 2 GAs (I have that and they are different woods, etc), I mean somebody with otherwise identical 810s or a pair of DDSMs, that kind of thing.

I am wonderin' why.

Comments?
Old 07-09-2003, 12:42 PM

maybe they do some serious gigging and they want an identical backup in case there is a problem. Like a string break in the middle of a song. I don't know, just a thought.
Old 07-09-2003, 12:42 PM

i guess if you have the money for them

but I just cant see having to identical guitars. I can see having to of the same model ( a 1997 810ce, and a 2003 810ce) They are different, the NT neck, bracing, ES system etc) That I can see, but having 2 identical guitars is just hard for me to swallow.

That being said I would gladly take 2 914ce's though
Old 07-09-2003, 12:46 PM

You mean guys like Dave Matthews? Yea, he should spread the wealth around some and help some poor fans out there buy a 914 or 2!

Actually, I have a friend who has 2 Guilds, almost identical. He plays little clubs, coffeehouses, etc. and does not like to "change" his sound if he breaks a string at a gig.

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 07-09-2003, 12:54 PM

Joe
Good idea, I never thought of getting two identical Koa's. Oh wait I do have two K22 but not identical. I'll get back to you as soon as I get started collecting twins.................
Russ
Old 07-09-2003, 01:25 PM

They will still have different personalities. However, I don't think I would ever get to the point where I'd think to myself, "The next guitar I get is going to be one I already have."

How about it, Kent? Two CPSMs... They're great guitars, but why two?
Old 07-09-2003, 01:46 PM

Default Twins

I heard that Bradley. Well, let me explain. I purchased my first CPSM last year. I was so impressed with the quality of wood chosen and the concept on which the guitar was built that when I got a chance to purchase another one, I could not resist. I guess you could call it a love for the breed that caused me to buy my second and have it preened to perfection by the folks at Taylor. Now that you have brought my plight to light, I must take the chance to plug the fact that it is presently for sale to some lucky individual. $2200 and I will ship it straight to your door. I am sure that in the near future it will be worth more, but the economy is a little funny right now and has me motivated to sell so I can satify some other needs. You know, like a custom 612 I ran across the other day. In the meantime I don't mind having 2 CPSM's reside at my house. I've supplied the link below for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks,
Kent Holder
Old 07-09-2003, 02:41 PM
drickard

I have 2 (almost) identical 1997 model 814C's. I got a duplicate because I liked the first one so much in various tunings I wanted to have one set up a little higher and to keep heavier bottom strings on for Drop D and DGDGBE tunings. Plus, when one has to go to a luthier or is otherwise out of commission I still have one to play. In fact, one of them is at Taylor now for some work to correct errant luthier and gig hazards. I picked up a 1999 model 914C a couple months ago because I thought it was a good deal and sounds different from my 814C's, and because it's so beautiful, but I still play the 814's more.
Old 07-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Yes Meridian

I've Two DDSMs , Why?

Well for collection purpose had to have a natural /quilted numbered 1 of 200

And then well i love a black guitars, and so took the black custom shop Doyle in a trade .

Yes they do have differant voices and personalities, Love them both!

I've two K14c also ,but there the soundboard woods are differant (Koa and Cedar) so these aren't the same .

Now if some one will buy the Blk DDSM i could get another 814b
but with no C or E To pair up with my 814bce (brazillian / engelmann) LOTFs .

come to think of it i guess i dont have any dups.
If neather one of the pair were to sell ,Damm i'd just be stuck with , well Great Taylors

Last edited by GTomcan; 07-09-2003 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:35 PM

My all koa K22's sound very different. One is bright and sparkly, the other is warm and melodic.

I have two natural DDSM's. Ok, not totally identical, one has a three piece back, the other has a two piece, but they do sound different.

I already had an 814cebrz when they came out with the 25th. Anniv. models. That 814cebrz sounds different. You would easily be able to tell them apart just by tone. Close too, are my '97 714brz and the 25th. 714cebrz. One just has the cutaway. Still very different.

If they didn't sound different, there wouldn't be any point to keeping them both. As is, they are all unique. I think the two that sound the closest in tone are the W14c's. They are closer than the K14 and K14c twins. I can still tell them apart, though.
Old 07-09-2003, 06:50 PM

I have two identical sets of Elixer Polyweb lights. Well, I can't say they are technically identical, but they are very very similar. It may be that one is for a lefthanded guitar maybe.

Guitars improve with age. The older I get, the more I like them.
----------------
I gots me ....
some Martins
some Santa Cruzes
some Goodalls
some T*****s
Some other stuff
Old 07-09-2003, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GSnyde
I have two identical sets of Elixer Polyweb lights. Well, I can't say they are technically identical, but they are very very similar. It may be that one is for a lefthanded guitar maybe.
And they say I'M zany!
Old 07-09-2003, 09:18 PM

OK, I have 2 810WMB's. I loved the one sooo much, I had to have another when it came available. Further when I purchased them it was before the new dread was out. So I also was hedging my bet so to speak if I didn't like the new dread's sound.

I also have two TS 810 Ltd Cocobolos. One is a 2 piece b&s with 1 3/4" neck the other is a 3 piece b&s with a 1 11/16" neck. One is for strumming and one is for fingerpicking.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:20 AM

Talking

Hmm........maybe it's like in the old West when the gunfighter was sportin' a pair o' pearl-handled .44s.........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion