The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-07-2003, 05:00 PM

Default Cruisin'

Greetings all,

This is the first time I'm posting on the TGF. I've visited a few times and spoken with Jared Rogers, your fearless leader, J.R.

My name is David Lusterman. I am the founder and publisher of Acoustic Guitar magazine. (And yes, I do own a very nice Taylor guitar -- though the nature of my work demands that I be strictly non-partisan.)

I'm posting today with an invitation to all Forum members and visitors. You may already know that Acoustic Guitar magazine has organized an "Acoustic Guitar Cruise" in the Caribbean this fall. Bob Taylor will be one of six guest artists who are joining us for a week of guitar playing, guitar talk, guitar camaraderie, and even some activities like eating, drinking, swimming, dancing, snorkeling, and exploring that have little or nothing to do with guitars. We're expecting about 100 people in all, including many spouses, significant others, and family members (who aren't necessarily guitar fanatics).

I spoke with Bob Taylor recently and encouraged him to let everyone on the TGF know about this great opportunity to spend relaxed, quality time in his company. Of course Bob is way too modest to do something like that -- so I asked J.R. if I could do it instead. I know that the TGF is non-commercial in nature and I don't want to be the bull in the china shop (or would that be the bull in the shrine?). But J.R. agreed that this is a unique opportunity and there'd be no harm in bringing it to the attention of the forum members.

So that's the scoop. If you'd like to see details about the event, please visit www.acousticguitarcruise.com. You can also get in touch with me by replying to this post or emailing [email protected].

Best, and congratulations on building such a thriving community of Taylor players,

David A. Lusterman
Old 07-07-2003, 05:02 PM

Shoot, I thought he was going to offer us a discount.

Seriously, I think it would be really cool, and if I was rich I would totally do it. Unfortunately, I can't. Again, great idea and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:08 PM

Welcome David

I am a subscriber to your great magazine and would love to join the cruise.
But, I have to save all my money for guitars. Ha Ha
Seriously, I have considered the cruise but am also considering marriage so I have to wait to see what comes first. Hope I don't wait to long and miss the boat!
Russ
Old 07-07-2003, 05:30 PM

Hi, David, and welcome!

I had looked at the cruise before, but my wife and I decided on another cruise in December (we try and cruise once a year). Now, however, the December cruise may not be feasable, so we're going to revisit the Guitar Cruise. I'd really love to go.

BTW, do you think most people would be taking their guitar(s) with them? Can the ship handle that?

I'm also a subscriber to your magazine and love it!

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:28 PM

Hi Phil,

Yes, people will definitely be bringing guitars -- but I would recommend you limit yourself to just one, unless you choose a really big, expensive cabin!

Hope you and your wife can join us,
David.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:29 PM

Hey Russ,

This is the perfect set up for you. You can kill two birds with one cruise. Get married, and take your new bride on a lovely honeymoon cruise. If there just happens to be a bunch of guitar nuts on board, you can't help that.

Rick
Old 07-07-2003, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
Hey Russ,

This is the perfect set up for you. You can kill two birds with one cruise. Get married, and take your new bride on a lovely honeymoon cruise. If there just happens to be a bunch of guitar nuts on board, you can't help that.

Rick
Good thinking Rick,
if I could only get an all Koa guitar included with the cruise. It would be a done deal.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:59 PM

I'd be a bit worried about the humidity on my guitar. But if the big boat would go down we could always use our geetars for lifeboat paddles.

Seriously sounds like a neat event.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David Lusterman
Hi Phil,

Yes, people will definitely be bringing guitars -- but I would recommend you limit yourself to just one, unless you choose a really big, expensive cabin!

Hope you and your wife can join us,
David.
Well, my wife said let's call and check it out. We'll see what happens!

What to bring... What to bring...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:32 PM

David,
Thanks for putting this together and welcome to the forum.

The itinerary looks like it will allow players several opportunities to learn a few new licks, a bit of guitar theory and perhaps a few new songs, as well. In addition, many of us welcome the opportunity to pick up on the latest in the guitar world from "Uncle Bob". Perhaps the best opportunity, however may be just jammin' with fellow Taylor aficionados.

The cruise sounds great...let me run it past the boss...not Springsteen...the REAL boss ;-)

TJ
1999 Taylor 814ce
2000 Martin D-1
1996 Martin D-35
1993 Martin D-41 Sunburst
2002 Taylor Custom 810
Old 07-07-2003, 10:29 PM

David -
I signed up about 2 months ago. Can't wait too. Now to pick a guitar to bring. We'll be there and see you there. Great idea, btw.

dc
Old 07-08-2003, 11:21 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the warm and positive response to my post and to learn that Acoustic Guitar has so many readers in the TGF. Your support is most appreciated.

Dennis, I look forward to meeting you in a few months!
Old 07-08-2003, 12:17 PM

Default welcome

Hi David
It is always a pleasure to welcome someone who has made a significant contribution to acoustic music.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:24 PM

I want to go soooo badly. My kids are in school during that week and it would virtually impossible to pull them out for such an extended time. Would you guys ever consider doing this again during the Summer, or Spring break?
Old 07-09-2003, 05:47 PM

Hey, we'd consider doing this 52 weeks a year if we had enough company! But seriously, this is a maiden voyage for us and we'll just see how it goes and what kinds of sparks it kindles. We'll definitely be asking people about their preferences as to time of year, destinations, and so forth.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion