The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2003, 11:48 AM

Default To buy a Taylor or not....dillema

I visited the local Taylor dealer one day a few months back just to look. I saw a Big Baby that was on sale and picked it up. It sounded pretty darn good and the price was low so I bought it. After a couple months, I got bored with it and really wanted a bigger sound. I returned to the dealer, but what I really wanted was 5 times the price of the Big baby. I returned home with my head down. I was searching eBay and ran across this Tacoma DR20E for the same price I paid for the Big baby. It was used with finish blemishes and some worn frets. I bought it anyway. I stripped the finish and applied my own hand rubbed poly finish. I then took it to a Luthier friend and had it re-fretted. Man does this guitar sound nice! I then sold my Big Baby on eBay for the same price I paid for it. Now the Dillema, after hanging around this darn Forum for a while, I can't help but have the itch for a new Taylor. I went back to the dealer and played about 8-9 guitars. When I compared the sound to my Tacoma, I did not get excited until I played a 710. This is basically the same features as my Tacoma with the bonus of an ebony fingerboard. Then a 414CE LTD caught my eye also. I like to fingerpick and it sounded sweet. I can't afford 2 guitars right now so I am stuck with choosing 1. The Tacoma plays so nice and has 6 years of break in. The Taylor (s) I want will set me back quite a bit (plus wife needs major justification). So, do I be contempt with the Tacoma or take the plunge for a Taylor? I have played several of both brands and they both have that nice bright sustain that I really like.

Maybe I'll win that Taylor contest!
Old 06-25-2003, 12:05 PM

What yr is the 414LTD. If it is a 2003 summer LTD I would get it no questions asked. You will love it. You just have to make a decision about what you want and what you need. That being said I would get a Taylor!

Although is the Tacoma is doing everything that you need it to do, and your happy with it, then by all means keep it. You may also want to try to find a used Taylor, most Taylor owners take care of them and you can get some really good deals. Try calling Steve at www.guitartrader.com and he may be able to help you out.

TP
Old 06-25-2003, 12:25 PM

What's to think about? One word - "Taylor".

I just sold my Martin to put forward on a another Taylor. To me, there IS no other guitar worthy of my lack of musicianship but appreciation of "things that work".
Old 06-25-2003, 01:35 PM

There is 710 on sale until June 30 at 12fret.com. Go to their sale section and check it out. You need to get an email response for pricing as is the Taylor policy but I know it was a very good price. The store is in Toronto but they are an excellent place to deal with and specialize in high end new and used guitars that they ship most anywhere.

Good luck with your possible purchase.
Taylor '13 Custom 12 Fret Hog GC
PRS P22
Fender MIM Strat
Old 06-25-2003, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TimmyPack
What yr is the 414LTD. If it is a 2003 summer LTD I would get it no questions asked. You will love it. You just have to make a decision about what you want and what you need. That being said I would get a Taylor!

Although is the Tacoma is doing everything that you need it to do, and your happy with it, then by all means keep it. You may also want to try to find a used Taylor, most Taylor owners take care of them and you can get some really good deals. Try calling Steve at www.guitartrader.com and he may be able to help you out.

TP
The 414 was a Fall 2002 LTD (Imbuia). I really liked it, but now I figure I might as well get one with the ES if I'm going to buy new. I am certainly not against a good used one at all. I am constantly searching for a good bargain.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:31 PM

Only your ears will tell.
Old 06-25-2003, 05:50 PM

I think you would want to play them side by side. If the Tacoma still sounds fine after playing it next to the Taylor and you like well then stay with the Tacoma. If after playing both you think the Taylor plays better or sounds better then get the Taylor. For me it comes down to what sounds better and plays better.
Midnight Shadow
Old 06-25-2003, 07:54 PM

Cool It ain't a Taylor...big deal!

Quote:
Originally posted by BigMo66
.... I bought it anyway. I stripped the finish and applied my own hand rubbed poly finish. I then took it to a Luthier friend and had it re-fretted. Man does this guitar sound nice! .... Now the Dillema, after hanging around this darn Forum for a while, I can't help but have the itch for a new Taylor. I went back to the dealer and played about 8-9 guitars. When I compared the sound to my Tacoma, I did not get excited until I played a 710. This is basically the same features as my Tacoma with the bonus of an ebony fingerboard. Then a 414CE LTD caught my eye also. I like to fingerpick and it sounded sweet. I can't afford 2 guitars right now so I am stuck with choosing 1. The Tacoma plays so nice and has 6 years of break in. The Taylor (s) I want will set me back quite a bit (plus wife needs major justification). So, do I be contempt with the Tacoma or take the plunge for a Taylor? ....
After you've put some work into the Tacoma and had it broke in, you're willing to just let it go for a Taylor that will cost more? IMHO, you are in "contempt"! I'm presuming you said the Tacoma "sound nice"...what further proof do you need?
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 06-26-2003, 05:10 AM

Default Re: It ain't a Taylor...big deal!

Quote:
Originally posted by franchelB

After you've put some work into the Tacoma and had it broke in, you're willing to just let it go for a Taylor that will cost more? IMHO, you are in "contempt"! I'm presuming you said the Tacoma "sound nice"...what further proof do you need?
That is exactly why I posted this. I needed a little push. I am very happy with the sound and looks of the Tacoma, but it's easy to get caught up in the Talyor Fever. Every Sunday I listen to 2 people play Taylors on the Praise & Worship team and they sound great too! Here is what I am going to do. Keep the Tacoma because of sound & elbow grease involved, save up for the Taylor I really want and then see which one ends up on my lap more often. I'm sure a new Taylor will get max time, but I'm talking about the long run.

Thanks for your 2 cents Folks.
'Mo
Old 06-26-2003, 05:16 AM

Good decision. Never get rid of a guitar you like-save to get another.

Gardner

Old 06-26-2003, 05:53 AM
Undignified

Take your time. Check all the different models.

Keep the Tacoma and.....

Yes! Buy a Taylor.

2004 Martin OM28V

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion