The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2009, 10:27 AM

Default Larrivee L-03 vs Seagull Maritime SWS Mini Jumbo

I'm on my way to getting the L-03, but I've been looking at the SWS Mini Jumbo. I've had the chance to play the entourage mini jumbo but not the SWS version. I just recently had a chance to play the L-03.

I've listened to youtube videos of the mini jumbo, but of course this really isn't helpful. I was just wondering if anyone had a chance to play both what the differences are between the sound of the L-03 and mini jumbo.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 09-25-2009, 10:36 AM

I had an L-03R which was a very good guitar, and I've had a few Godin-family acoustics, and they were fine, too. I've not played and SWS.

That said, one difference between the two will be the bridge string spacing at the bridge, if that matters to you. The Larrivee is 2 3/16" and the Seagull (as are all Godin-made string acoustic guitars, is 2 1/8".

Regards,
Bill
Old 09-25-2009, 10:50 AM

Is 1/16th a big difference in string spacing?

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 09-25-2009, 10:57 AM

For me, it's a bigger difference at the nut than at the bridge. I prefer wide at both (46.5mm nut and 60mm bridge). That said, I love my Larrivees to bits (and they're narrower than I would ideally want at the bridge). I find them some of the most comfortable guitars I've come across and the 03 series is phenomenal value...
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 AM

Well dragon, I've played both. I own an L03 as you can see from my sig.. I spent quite a bit of time playing all the godin sws guitars. The mini jumbo is my favorite. The size is what really makes this guitar for me. The sound it ok, but nothing that I'd write home about. However, it was brand new, so it would certainly open up with just a few hours of playing and in a month, it would probably sound great. I love the Larrivee, but I sure am hankering for a sws mini jumbo
Old 09-25-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbambino View Post
The sound it ok, but nothing that I'd write home about. However, it was brand new, so it would certainly open up with just a few hours of playing and in a month, it would probably sound great.
I'm looking at the SWS Mini Jumbo because it has the woods I want (spruce/mahogany), a body style that fits what I want (not a dread but loud with bass), the reputation of Seagull's build quality, and the cheaper than Larrivee price. I know Larrivee has a great guitar, but if I can get the same thing cheaper then I'm good with that.

How do you think the sound is compared to your L-03? While the Mini Jumbo is cheaper I wouldn't mind getting a better sounding guitar for a few extra bucks. I'm sure guitars open up, but I think the guitar has to sound good from day one as I suspect the sound will not change that much.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
Is 1/16th a big difference in string spacing?
It is to me, but it doesn't matter at all to others. It would be great if you could play both, of course.

Bill
Old 09-25-2009, 01:31 PM

I would go for the Seagull. They have a richer, more complex sound that my ears prefer. Closer to the Martin sound that I love so much. The Larrivee L-03 is a great guitar. I think the 03 series used to be a great value for the $ before the switch from mahogany to sapele. However, I find the trebles on Larrivees to sound too metallic. I also don't care for the flat fretboard radius on Larrivee. Even when the nut width is wider on the Seagull, to fretboard radius is more comfy for my hands. In case you have not seen it yet, acoustic guitar magazine has a written and video review of the seagull jumbo on their website.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 PM

So far I haven't had a chance to play the Mini Jumbo, but I'm looking. I've only been able to play the Entourage version. So I know I like the body shape and the neck. I just want to hear the sound of the Mini Jumbo for myself.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:19 PM

any more opinions?

p.s. I'm at the Alabama vs Arkansas game. ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Old 09-26-2009, 06:22 PM

AGF member Kindred Spirit played a bunch of guitars yesterday, I think it was, and told me that the Seagull SWS dread was the best-sounding guitar in the store, and that included a Larrivee L-03. He did say he thought the Larrivee strings were in poor shape.

Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion