The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
As for the guitars themselves, aside from a few minor cosmetic appointments they are structurally identical to Larrivée guitars, using the same symmetrical bracing pattern and body sizes.

So if you like Larrivée guitars, you'll like Morgans, and vice versa.

Wade Hampton Miller
Not exactly - the bracing is forward-shifted, and each top is individually voiced, unlike Larrivee, and more like other small shop boutiques.

They certainly hearken Larrivee, but certainly a substantial step up from Larrivee - just like Collings is to Martin standard line or Goodall is to Taylor, imho.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalowdwn1 View Post
Not exactly - the bracing is forward-shifted, and each top is individually voiced, unlike Larrivee, and more like other small shop boutiques.

They certainly hearken Larrivee, but certainly a substantial step up from Larrivee - just like Collings is to Martin standard line or Goodall is to Taylor, imho.
Well David Iannone (sorry if I misspelled), use to work with Jean Larrivee very closely I believe back in the day.

I have played several around Vancouver and they are quite nice, I havnet had the pleasure of getting one, it seems the music stores I see them in, have a very ridiculous price on them.

- Cornerstone Zion - German Spruce/Sinker Redwood Double Top with Madagascar Rosewood B/S and Koa Bevel/Binding

Incoming:
- MichaudMade OM-R Flamed Brazillian R/W & Euro Spruce
Old 06-12-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdvox View Post
Well David Iannone (sorry if I misspelled), use to work with Jean Larrivee very closely I believe back in the day.

I have played several around Vancouver and they are quite nice, I havnet had the pleasure of getting one, it seems the music stores I see them in, have a very ridiculous price on them.
Yes- he was an apprentice of JCL and even works out of the Larrivee Canada facility. His designs start with Larrivee, but my comment was the bracing is different.

I have to humbly disagree - his prices are dirt cheap (like Webber) considering you get an entirely handmade, solo-luthier, boutique guitar. They are typically less than $500 more than a similarly-appointed Larrivee. Imagine if an R. Taylor was only $500, or less, more than its cognate Taylor!

Morgan is one of the real hidden gems of lutherie.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalowdwn1 View Post
Yes- he was an apprentice of JCL and even works out of the Larrivee Canada facility. His designs start with Larrivee, but my comment was the bracing is different.

I have to humbly disagree - his prices are dirt cheap (like Webber) considering you get an entirely handmade, solo-luthier, boutique guitar. They are typically less than $500 more than a similarly-appointed Larrivee. Imagine if an R. Taylor was only $500, or less, more than its cognate Taylor!

Morgan is one of the real hidden gems of lutherie.

Sorry I didnt mean to say they werent a good price or deal, I meant the shops I have seen them at downtown vancouver (Tom Lee to be exact) have an exuberant mark up on them. If you purchase them from a different dealer they are a great deal.

And you get a great sound. I have seen a few around Vancouver (some at a store called Not Another Music Shop) and the prices were a bit better but still higher than what I have seen online!

- Cornerstone Zion - German Spruce/Sinker Redwood Double Top with Madagascar Rosewood B/S and Koa Bevel/Binding

Incoming:
- MichaudMade OM-R Flamed Brazillian R/W & Euro Spruce
Old 05-24-2024, 08:23 AM

Smile 2024 Update

Morgan guitars are the biggest sleeper out there.

It's hard to find used ones as the owners know the true value and hang on to them tightly.

Hand made with the best quality materials by someone who truly cares.

IMHO it was unfortunate that his innocent choice of names ended up being confused with a cheap, Chinese name "Morgan Monroe."

As stated earlier "pricey" is not my opinion of them. They are properly compared to Ted Thompson's, Boucher's, and other handmade shops for pricing. And I would say the combination of the name confusion and lack of general awareness of them has made them a bargain, if you can find one.

Beautifully constructed, tasteful appointments, a pleasure to play, and character.

Also I can personally tell you that they owner is outstanding. For example, a concert rosewood that we own (2009 CR) had a tuner knob start slipping and was stripped. He sent us 6 matching replacements (since the original could no longer be matched) to ensure it was still of the highest quality and aesthetics.

I have been fortunate to try many models when a friend was a music store owner in the early 2000's and they were all keepers. I ended up with a CCR and a CR. I have also owned the DM and it was a great playing and sounding dreadnought. I actually sold it back to my friend long after he had retired and he wanted one.

I have the highest respect for them and the owner.
Old 05-24-2024, 10:28 AM

Kind of a “Zombie- thread” , with 15 years between posts !!
I have a Morgan DM, it’s beautifully built, even deep inside there’s great attention to detail, the chosen woods really are very high quality, and it’s a joy to play with a quite uniform sound top to bottom. The neck is perfect for me, very like my 70’s Martin 000-18.
At 78, it really is the last dread in a long line of them.
Very fine guitars, IMHO.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

Ha ha. Back from the dead indeed. It’s fun to go back in time and see who was posting then and of those who still posts today.

Those who know know that a Morgan is a fine guitar. David Iannone apprenticed with Jean Larrivee. His last apprentice I believe.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 05-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

A couple of months ago there was a beautiful Morgan dread on the local FB marketplace: sunburst, mahogany, lots of abalone. Looked like as new condition. It was listed at $1800 Cdn, which is about $1300 US. I thought about it, but I just don't find dreadnoughts very comfortable to play. It languished on marketplace for weeks. DK if it ever sold.
Scott Ilott L00 myrtle/redwood
Scott Ilott telecaster
Old 05-24-2024, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TritoneMalone View Post
Is anyone familiar with Morgan Guitars? They seem to be hand made guitars at a reasonable price point. Just wondering if their tone tends toward traditional or more modern.
I bought this guitar originally sold by Dream Guitars. Click on the first picture for a sound clip.

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/in...organ-concert/
Old 05-24-2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
I had a Morgan D with Indian Rosewood...

So, I offered it up for sale but more looking for a trade. I ended up with a great, comfortable wonderful toned Tony Yamamoto OMY. The tradee was thrilled with the Morgan. So we both got to try out cool new guitars.
I have a couple of Tony's guitars; both are fantastic in every respect.

'11 MS-12 and '16 Talus VS-12.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion