The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2003, 08:18 PM

Default DDSM (ES, Color, Neck) Decision

OK, I"m thinking about exchanging an 810 and K14c for a DDSM. I might trade with the dealer or sell here in the forum. Weeks and sometimes months go by now with the 810 going unloved and after a recent play on a Desert Rose I fell in love with the feel and playability (tho' not the color).

Questions:

(1) Am I crazy?

(2) Whats the story on the DDSM amplification-wise, I know it doesn't have an ES currently. Will it?

(3) I'm thinking of going with a wider neck. I'm primary a fingerstyle player.

(4) I'm being encouraged to think about what color to go with. Is the black a stain or paint? Should I think about other colors? What are my choices? Is there an upcharge?

(5) Any other thoughts.

-=Tim=-
Old 01-30-2003, 08:37 PM

If you have doubts about orange, for Pete's sake, don't buy it. With all due respect to Doyle and the late, great Chet, I can't stand that color on an acoustic guitar. I'm not nuts about it on electrics, for that matter.

I'm not sure you'll have any other options, though, as it isn't a standard model.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:48 PM

For starters, I don't think you're crazy, many of us part with guitars to upgrade or to get more mojo.

Well, you said you played the DDSM and fell in love with it, so the action, tone, playabilty was to your liking. To me thats more important than liking the looks but not being fond of the way it sounded and played.

You say you don't play the 810 too often so there's not going to be a whole lot of love loss there.

Would you play the DDSM more than the 810? The W14c?

Go with the wider neck. I have an archtop that has a narrow and fast neck and its no fun pickin' it. It sounds nice, but I tend to fat finger a lot. Is that an option you can get?

Personally, I like the natural finish on the DDSM, it shows off either the quilt or the flame.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:10 PM

Never fear Chris, no way I'd go with a color I didn't like.

-=Tim=-
Old 01-30-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Re: DDSM (ES, Color, Neck) Decision

Quote:
Originally posted by TimBarwick

(2) Whats the story on the DDSM amplification-wise, I know it doesn't have an ES currently. Will it?
I don't know for sure, but I'd say "I doubt it." I think the hex pickup just fits Doyle's style. I'll be surprised if they don't keep the hex system there.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:59 PM

Hi Tim,

I'll have to concur with Bryan- Had the opportunity to
see Doyle play again in San Jose CA last week and in between
songs he was talking about the ES system and the
LR Baggs system on his DDSM.

Im paraphrasing but he mentiioned it would remain the system built on those models as it complimented the guitars design for tone along with the other features of the guitar as the GC depth and florentine cutaway.

The gretsch orange doesnt look that bad. In fact the color
started to grow on me as I watched Doyle- either
that or I was just mesmerized as usual while seeing him
play

I prefer the natural maple also but should I find
a NOS orange DDSM in three years at a blowout price,
Id snag it

Old 02-01-2003, 09:18 AM

HI Tim. I went through this same thing about 6 months ago. All I could think about was this guitar. I also had to part with a much loved 93' 612c to afford it. Having said all that, I must say the guitar is fantastic. I opted for the black, a personal thing, but the natural is truly a beautiful finish on this instrument. I don't care much for the desert orange. I can honestly say it plays better than any acoustic I've ever played. The LR Baggs system is very impressive. I haven't heard or played an ES system so I have no basis for comparison. I play it through a Crate AC 60, which I plan to upgrade, and patch it through my Fender Power Chrous. With a sound hole cover, it gives little to no feedback problems. I find that once you achieve your favored settings, the presence control is the only further adjusting needed between songs. Trust me, you'll love it and it"s worth the sacrafice. SwampRat.
01 455ce, XXRS #80, P Bass
Old 02-01-2003, 10:23 AM

As to the wider neck I would go for it. I have a couple of guitars with the 1 11/16 inch neck and then two Taylors with the 1 7/8 inch neck. I can do much better with the wider neck when I am fingerpicking. In fact, and this I don't understand, I seem to be able to learn a song quicker when I am trying to learn it on the wider neck and it is a fingerpicking song.
Midnight Shadow
Old 02-01-2003, 10:46 AM

Buy the orange one! It's an instant collectible.

I don't like the orange tho.

Maybe the best thing is to find an OCD* support group.

* for the uninitiated OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. TAS is a major subset of this condition.
Old 02-01-2003, 11:15 AM

My advice (for what it's worth):

1. Buy the guitar that you want. After all you will be paying for it!!!

2. Try to sell outright vs a dealer trade in. Think about it for a minute -- dealers make money buying and selling. I would advertise on the TGF... it's a great way to buy or sell.

Just my 2 cents worth -- hope it helps!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion