The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-05-2008, 07:14 AM

Default Simon & Patrick Pro owners help please!!

Recently I've came across a pro rosewood model for sale but it has a few things I'm not sure of... First of all the fretboard has the more traditional layout of markers where all the ones I've seen have had smaller dots to the side of the fretboard. Did they make them like that for a few years?? Also the headstock has the logo/name across the top (horizontally) in script.. Again all the ones I've ever seen have had it running vertically until they changed to the new design..The grain of the rosewood also looks slightly off to me and also the back strip is diffrent than others I've had...? Just needed some reassurance from some fellow AGF members ,that are familiar with the brand, that this is not a fake...
I'll try for some pics below..

Thanks for any insight you can offer! -Pix

'79 Yairi Limited edition DY-50 #031 of 900
Yairi Dy74, Dy75, DY77
S & P Showcase Rosewood AER
S & P Pro Curly Maple
S & P Pro rosewood
'64 Martin Baritone Ukulele
Kala LE Spruce & Spalted/Flamed Maple Baritone
Lanikai Mahogany Tenor
Lots of percussion stuff

Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule
Old 10-05-2008, 08:52 AM

It also looks like the simon and patrick logo is a sticker
Old 10-05-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff D View Post
It also looks like the simon and patrick logo is a sticker
I noticed that also... It has me puzzled. There are many other aspects that are right though.. Neck cut, heel design, Cut and shape of headstock is right on. Body build and back bracing all seems to be correct with the exception of the back strip but mine is a 6 years older and that could have changed...? I thought maybe the neck had been swapped with a lower end S&P but that wouldn't explain the face plate of the headstock. The lower ends are usually left mahogany... The label is also placed slightly differently. Mine is set with the top of the label against the higher back braces instead of the bottom making contact with the lower one ,like this one, but they may not have really controlled this consistently... The owner is no help either. He says it's 6 yrs. old and was owned by an older gentleman that passed away and he picked it up from a sale... He knows nothing else about it...

'79 Yairi Limited edition DY-50 #031 of 900
Yairi Dy74, Dy75, DY77
S & P Showcase Rosewood AER
S & P Pro Curly Maple
S & P Pro rosewood
'64 Martin Baritone Ukulele
Kala LE Spruce & Spalted/Flamed Maple Baritone
Lanikai Mahogany Tenor
Lots of percussion stuff

Life is like music; it must be composed by ear, feeling, and instinct, not by rule

Last edited by Guitarpix; 10-05-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:18 AM

Yeah I have never seen a s&p with a sticker logo but then again I have only olayed ones from the past three years. I'd be a little wary of this guitar though unless others more knowledgable post.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:21 PM

As you can see from my signature I own a 1994 S&P Pro Rosewood. From the pictures of the guitar in question that you've posted I see some similarities to my guitar and some differences. Although I can't see the details clearly the rosette, bridge and pickguard look to be very much like the ones on my '94. The fretboard dots on my guitar are of the type you describe (micro dots that are offset to the top side of the neck) and not the larger ones pictured. The headstock logo in the picture is very different from anything I've ever seen on a S&P (mine is of the vertical persuasion). The rosewood also appears to be very different from the darker straight grained wood on the back of my guitar although as we all know wood can vary tremendously.

If in fact it is a S&P my guess would be that it is older than my 1994 model. I may be wrong but I find it difficult to believe that the guitar is only six years old. Just a hunch but a serial number should clear that up.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 PM

Catdaddy is right. The serial number would go a long way to clear it up. Ask for it and relay it to Michel at Godin. Go to the Simon & Patrick site and find the contact address.

Best,
Bill

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion