The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2024, 02:53 PM

Default set up adjustments: how low can you drop nut height?

I have a guitar I want to lower the action on, particularly near the nut. Is there any guidelines on how much you can take down a nut by sanding bottom before you have gone too far? In the past I have gone slowly, a little bit at a time but that requires restringing guitar every time to test it. IE what clearance on the E strings at the first fret is as low as you can go?
Old 05-07-2024, 03:01 PM

Quick answer would be nut height a 'smidge' higher than first fret. Refer to Frets.com for more.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Nut height is generally adjusted from the top with a file at each individual slot, not from the bottom with sandpaper.

The general rule of thumb is that if you hold the string down at the 3rd fret, you want there to be just the slightest hint of clearance at the 1st fret.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 05-07-2024, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
Nut height is generally adjusted from the top with a file at each individual slot, not from the bottom with sandpaper.

The general rule of thumb is that if you hold the string down at the 3rd fret, you want there to be just the slightest hint of clearance at the 1st fret.
This is the good advice. The only negative is that you should cut each slot the right shape but that’s easier than sanding from the bottom.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

The dimensions and shape of the nut are formed to snugly seat it in its groove. Then the slots are filed from the top for proper heighth and roll off angle. Its two main functions are string spacing and having the strings clear the first fret when played open. Nut fitting and grooving is not the most difficult task, but attention to details (and microns) will pay huge rewards in playability.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 05-07-2024, 03:43 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...nutaction.html

”Stumblebum Blues” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
”Hydro Genesis” on the Walker Clark Fork (Advanced Jumbo)
Old 05-07-2024, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Keep in mind, it affects intonation. Even most high end guitars I've played have not been intonated as well as they could have been because people tend to cut the nut for action, not tuning. Depending how far forward or back the nut is will determine how tight you can get the intonation while also having ideal action.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

File the nut slots, not the bottom of the nut. If you don’t have nut files, go to Ace Hardware and ask for a set of torch files. There will be files in the set the same diameter as your strings. Match the size file to the nut slot and take it down. Please note - A LITTLE AT A TIME. Go very slowly.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-07-2024, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
I have a guitar I want to lower the action on, particularly near the nut. Is there any guidelines on how much you can take down a nut by sanding bottom before you have gone too far? In the past I have gone slowly, a little bit at a time but that requires restringing guitar every time to test it. IE what clearance on the E strings at the first fret is as low as you can go?
Here's what you are looking for. Do NOT "sand the bottom of the nut" to set nut slot depth!

Many makers of guitars use the "half pencil" to rough in the slot depth before they fine tune the exact depth.

Old 05-07-2024, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

My local independent store did a fine job of filing down the nut of my D-18. Hammer-ons on a G chord are a breeze now, as is a barre F.

I’m thinking of taking my J-45 to him — not to lower nut height but to widen a couple of string channels. The B string doesn’t get sharper as I wind up the tuning head! A string a little bit, too. Arghhhhhh.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 05-08-2024, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestubbyone View Post
Hi tso…
Nut slots are cut just a touch higher than the first fret. They are NOT the mechanism for lowering action.

Slots are cut individually from the top (nut files can be purchased on Amazon for not a lot of money), not by removing and sanding the bottom. And they are angled from the soundhole edge backwards downhill slightly. If you go a bit deep, mix some of the dust from filing with super glue and build it back up.

Just because it's buzzing near the nut doesn't indicate that the nut is the issue.

Here's a video on adjusting action (which usually solves buzzing).

Twenty-three minutes of really useful information with visual aids…

Order of adjustment…for most of the great techs who have helped maintain my instruments.
Neck relief set (truss rod), and nut slot at proper depth THEN adjusting saddle height.

Hope this helps…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion