The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2024, 04:18 PM

Default Thoughts on a Tanglewood TW-60 SCVSB ?

A small shop about an hour's drive away from me has a Tanglewood TW-60 sunburst with a LR Baggs Element VTC pickup and preamp system.

It has the narrower nut width which I prefer and has a sunburst finish, which I don't have at all. It is a smaller-bodied guitar which I may also appreciate as I would probably use this mainly for open mics.

The main question is the ad says it has solid mahogany back and sides but the current model on the Tanglewood website says it has laminated back and sides. Moreover the newer model has a Fishman Presys pickup system ... not the LR Baggs.

So what do you think? Is the ad wrong about the solid back and sides (which I suspect) ... or is this an older model that has the solid back and sides and with a different pickup system. Or did the buyer put in a different pickup system?

This newer model could be a redesign as it is called the TW40SOVSE. I also read that the older TW-60 were straight-ahead acoustics with no pickup so maybe the LR Baggs was added later.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 05-04-2024, 12:41 AM

I am in the U.K. and in my younger days , owned several Tanglewoods at different times and always found them to be good, playable reliable guitars and good value at the price point. On a par Id say with similar priced Yamahas.
However nowadays they do themselves no favours by absolutely swamping the U.K. market with a bewildering choice of models ,all seemingly slightly different, the electro models seem to come with a range of different pickups . I used to see near identical ones advertised as all solid, or laminate back and sides or even solid back, laminated sides.
It seems they produce so many slightly different models (with bizarre reference numbers) that even the folk that sell them dont seem to know for sure which is which!
Too much choice it seems
Id say though if it plays nicely and fits you , buy it, surely the best reasons of all for owning any guitar.

Last edited by NotveryGood; 05-04-2024 at 01:16 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion