The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2024, 03:04 PM

Question Help between two guitars. Martin and others.

I'm looking into buying a new guitar asap. The only think is that I'm stuck between two and any suggestions would help.

1.) The first is an Martin GPC-11E Says its a solid wood Sitka spruce top with sapele back and sides $1,099

2.)The other is a Alvarez Masterworks MD60BG Dreadnought all solid wood bone nut and saddle. AAA Sitka Spruce , African Mahogany back and sides says more attention to braving and thinner top $799

Was also thinking about Taylor 214ce but I never play mic up and I like the sound of dreads so I don't know.
Also Martin 000-15m but that price I would like to stay away from unless it's that great of a difference in sounds.

There are no guitar shops anywhere around me so I have to rely on sound over the web.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Best to describe what your tastes are. There really isn't a "best to worst" scale when you're shopping within a price range as we're talking about musical tools and we don't all play the same music the same ways. Once you know what you're looking for (in terms of style and tone) then that's when comparisons and recommendations become more relevant.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:16 PM

Thank I understand. I mainly play new country and some older songs James Taylor, The Who along with some rock from the early 2000. I did just buy a all Mahogany OM guitar and the bass was lacking a little don't know if the wood or size or just the guitar. Thank you I know I need to figure my taste out a little more. By the way I used to play alot for years but haven't in the last 4 or 5 years.
Old 05-03-2024, 03:43 PM

Your choices seem like good ones to me. Alvarez is one the best value brands to me. I bought an Alvarez for my son.
Forgive me if you know this but the Martin GPC-11E and the Alvarez MD60BG have 1.75 inch (wide) neck width at the nuts. Whereas the Taylor 214CE and Martin 000-15 have narrower necks. Not that that bothers me, but it does matter for some people and the feel is different.

Since you say you like dreads you might look at the Taylor 210 and the 217, too. But they also have the narrow necks like the 214. I love my 114 that has a little "bark" to it when you lean in on it. Good for rocky stuff at the campfire.

There's a whole ton of good guitars in the <$1300 price range new. I wouldn't be afraid to buy something used. They can have cred (mojo, if you will) if they weren't abused.

Good luck and happy hunting. Hope this helps, _Roger
Old 05-03-2024, 04:52 PM

It's hard to give you a critical comparison because the two guitars are very different. If you want a dread, get the Alvarez. It's a tremendous value and a good guitar. If you want a Grand Performance guitar the Martin is one of Martin's better values. You really can't go wrong either way. If resale has any value to you, the Martin will likely have a better resale potential.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

I'd investigate Yamaha.

A 15 series Martin would be a much better guitar, but mahogany is not for everyone.

Eastman is also good bang for your buck.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-03-2024, 05:41 PM

Yamaha has some great guitars in that price range.
Old 05-03-2024, 09:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice, I have a dread already but it's nothing special.
Old 05-04-2024, 03:54 AM

Look closely at the all Solid sigma’s (especially the limited edition models) for Martin like tone at a great price point. I play mine more than the expensive guitars in my signature, they are superb once set up well. Excellent customer service as well.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 05-04-2024, 04:17 AM

On my recent trip to Australia I was blown away by the quality, playability and sound of Alvarez guitars. I was sampling Martins and Matons but on a whim picked up a pretty Alvarez and was stunned at how good it sounded! No wonder the shop had them hanging proudly among the "higher end" guitars.

I had an Alvarez Delta00-TSB that I sold not because I didn't like it or the sound it produced, but at the time I was looking for a smaller guitar and I had too many others of that size.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:30 AM
Charter Member

of the 3 listed the Alvarez would win by a landslide for me.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 05-04-2024, 04:43 AM
Charter Member

I'm a Martin guy, but of the guitars you listed, I'd get the Alvarez.

Alvarez makes some of the best guitars in that price range.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:36 PM

I was gonna tell you to get to a store, because all of those models can be found fairly easily in most guitar stores. But you can't, so...

I own an incredible example of the MDBG60. If you like a "punchy" bass and midrange, then this is the one for you. But be forewarned, these models can vary highly from guitar-to-guitar.

The other three will offer a little more balanced tone, though the 000-15m can be slightly bass-biased. I owned one of these for a short while: I thought it was an excellent guitar. Look used if you need to make your budget. The GPCs have great playability and balance, as do the 214ce models. I also owned a 214ce long ago when they were built differently. Had a lot of fun playing it, but I've not played a newer one in years.

All four are different, and your ears might be nothing like mine. But if it were me, I'd either choose the 000-15m for balance (and comfort) or the Alvarez for "punchiness" and heavier bass. Best of luck!
Old 05-04-2024, 08:55 PM

I lack the experience that many have on this forum. I became interested in the md60 after watching the oft quoted JP Cormier video where he pitted the MD60 against the D18 and I thought the Alvarez was the D18.
For my sins I would not confuse them now.
I found a MD60BG gently used on GC for $400. An absolute bargain. I have been playing the sh1t out of it since I got it.
A true upgrade over my first acoustic guitar the Yammie FG800.
I liked it so much that I got another one when I found it again at GC for around the same price.
I am at an intermediate beginner stage, can bang out about 50 songs, just completed Jason guitar's level 2.
The MD60BG is likely all the guitar I will ever need.
I have plated number of guitars at GCs the low-to-mid range and for me the Alvarez beats all comers including the Mexican Martins and Taylors.
Even at full retail it is a bargain.
The only thing that competes against it is a Yamaha in the same price bracket.
All IMHO of course.
But you really can't go wrong with a MD60 .
I also like their sales philosophy as comes through their videos on youtube.

Last edited by RiffRalf; 05-04-2024 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2024, 10:26 PM

I think the Martin would likely sound better. Many of the 'lesser' Martins sound pretty darn good. I like Alvarez, but I have played too many that were heavy, wooden and dead sounding. So, unheard, I would choose the Martin every time.
But look, you really need to go play them, your ears may find my advice, or others, not good advice for you and what you like.
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
alvarez, guitar buying, martin