The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Default Cleaning micromesh?

So I was advised on here that Micromesh was a good idea for keeping my nail edges smooth and trebles fatter and rounder sounding - this is indeed what it does. Specifically, I’m using 3200 and 16000 grit, as specified, every few days to a week and the difference from before is really noticeable! But I can’t seem to get the residue off of the Micromesh sheets- I’ve tried hot water and a toothbrush, but it’s not really working. Can anyone advise?
Old 05-02-2024, 10:06 AM

Might try a drop or two of Dawn or any other dish soap in the hot water.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

For polishing my picking hand fingernails, I use the rectangular nail buffers. Used to get five for £1, now they are around £2 each!
Old 05-02-2024, 02:57 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, I’ll try both those suggestions. The nail buffers I bought at the store weren’t doing a great job, but maybe I need to try some different ones.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Jimi2;

I've only rinsed Micromesh in water... but I'm wondering if what you think is residue on the Micromesh is not, in fact, just the Micromesh wearing out a bit... it IS a type of sandpaper, after all, and it will wear.

I find mine gets a bit "shiny" with use, but it still does the trick, just fine. I use the 3200 and the 8000 - the 16k is so fine that it really does next to nothing.

I trim the nails with a clipper, then use a Wolfram glass file to smooth and shape a bit, then the Micro mesh.

I typically get nearly a year out of the 3200 sheet and more from the 8000.

You sure it isn't just wearing off?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-02-2024, 04:43 PM

Try rubbing the surface with a natural gum eraser. That's what I use to clean sanding sheets when working with wood, and I'd think it should work fine for nail residue.
Old 05-02-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
So I was advised on here that Micromesh was a good idea for keeping my nail edges smooth and trebles fatter and rounder sounding
Micromesh is just a useful for keeping your pick bevels polished...with the same results.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Jimi2;

I've only rinsed Micromesh in water... but I'm wondering if what you think is residue on the Micromesh is not, in fact, just the Micromesh wearing out a bit... it IS a type of sandpaper, after all, and it will wear.

I find mine gets a bit "shiny" with use, but it still does the trick, just fine. I use the 3200 and the 8000 - the 16k is so fine that it really does next to nothing.

I trim the nails with a clipper, then use a Wolfram glass file to smooth and shape a bit, then the Micro mesh.

I typically get nearly a year out of the 3200 sheet and more from the 8000.

You sure it isn't just wearing off?
You may be right - it might be wear. I thought I had read somewhere that you’re supposed to clean it, but I can’t remember where that was. I’ve only been using it for a few months, but it seemed to be accumulating white marks, which I assumed were nail residue. Maybe not.

How often do you use it if it lasts at least a year?
Old 05-03-2024, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
For polishing my picking hand fingernails, I use the rectangular nail buffers. Used to get five for £1, now they are around £2 each!
I just got a pack of 12 from Temu for $2
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 05-03-2024, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Cool Frequently!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi2 View Post
You may be right - it might be wear. I thought I had read somewhere that you’re supposed to clean it, but I can’t remember where that was. I’ve only been using it for a few months, but it seemed to be accumulating white marks, which I assumed were nail residue. Maybe not.

How often do you use it if it lasts at least a year?
Probably 3-4 times a month? Haven't really kept track of how often I use it - pretty much whenever there's any sort of anomaly with my picking fingernails.

I realized when I was 16 years old or so that I would be playing guitar for the rest of my life, and it was a drag to break a nail - as that took any finger picking off the table until it grew back! So, I got really good at doing things left-handed while being very conscious about what I was doing with my right hand...

I don't break or ding up my nails much anymore - so I only tend to them when they need trimming or if I get a rough spot on one.

I have a lot of micro-mesh stashed around somewhere, as the only way I could buy it was in a much larger amount than I really needed... so I switch out the old for new pieces when necessary, but it doesn't happen very often.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-03-2024, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I've used it for years and my experience is that it wears faster than it clogs. Rubbing two pieces against each other lightly can break up heavy clogging but, for me, they just wear and need to be replaced periodically. I do have thicker nails than most so that may be part of it.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:59 AM

Can anyone provide a brand, or link to the preferred micromesh?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion