The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Default Collings OM1C Vs Martin OM-28C Video comparison

Here is a brief video I made today comparing my Collings OM1C (Sitka/Mahogany) to a Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway (Sitka/Rosewood).

The Martin is a 2017 build and has Adirondack Golden Era bracing and 1/4" braces. I'm not sure if that thickness is standard on OM28's.

I am not sure what strings are on the Martin but they are new and sound really good. I'm gonna guess daddario based on my experience. .012-.053. The strings on the Collings are about 6 weeks old, Daddario EJ16 .012-.053.

Your thoughts and opinions are welcome. No right or wrong here. Both are excellent guitars and even though they are from different builders, I think they depict the tones I would normally associate with their respective tone woods. I.e. Mahogany versus Rosewood.

Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Martin OM-28 Custom Cutaway
Gibson EC Ebony Songwriter Custom
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Fender 61 Wildwood 10 Strat
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-01-2024, 11:47 PM

They both sounded good, for some riffs the Mahogany seemed to sound better, for other, the Martin. I play a super shallow Lyrichord bowl of an Ovation Applause, Sitka Spruce top, Ovangkol neck & fretboard. It's gonna sound different in it's own voice just the same. Strings are D'Addario 12-53, tuned to Standard D.
Old 05-02-2024, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
The Martin is a 2017 build and has Adirondack Golden Era bracing and 1/4" braces. I'm not sure if that thickness is standard on OM28's.
It is and I found the Martin far more pleasing and with more HD. What are your thoughts in terms of which one you like more?
Old 05-02-2024, 01:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosphere View Post
It is and I found the Martin far more pleasing and with more HD. What are your thoughts in terms of which one you like more?
Thanks for the confirmation. I just looked up the bracing size as well. Indeed they are 1/4" braces. The upgrade on this custom is that they are Adirondack braces. I don't believe that was standard on the OM-28.

Which do I like more? I have been a Collings fan boy for a long time and even owned an incredible OM1A several years ago. But I always wanted a cutaway. The OM1 I have now is absolutely stunning. I love the percussive midrange that is present but not overbearing. There is an overall sweet organic woodiness to the sound of a mahogany/sitka guitar that just rocks my world. So If I had to choose one, it would be the Collings OM1. But I just got this Martin OM-28 Custom cutaway yesterday and I need some time with it. I don't have a pickup in the Collings yet so the Martin OM-28 will see 5 gigs over the next 4 days in a row. (Doing a double header on Sunday)

The OM-28 Custom has a Fishman Aura VT Enhance PU and I have to say it sounds really good. It's time for the Martin OM-28 to show me how it will do at my solo shows. I'll report back. Having played at home, I am encouraged.

Here is an amplified demo I made at home. I think I had a little too much treble EQ on my amp and the EV Everse 8 Tweeter was aimed right at the Zoom Video cam mic. So the treble is a little sharper than it should be. Still, it sounds pretty impressive IMO through my Fishman Loudbox Artist/EV Everse 8 rig.

Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-02-2024, 04:54 AM

Very cool, hope the audience is blown away by your playing which is no doubt enhanced by the guitars!
Old 05-02-2024, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosphere View Post
Very cool, hope the audience is blown away by your playing which is no doubt enhanced by the guitars!
Thanks for the kind words.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-02-2024, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

“Better" is definitely in the ear of the beholder.

I liked the warmth and blending of overtones on the Martin, but the mids are scooped as many EIR B/S guitars are.

I liked the elevated midrange, presence, clarity and note separation of the Collings. As said in a previous post above, the riffs also sounded better to me on the Collings.

Your overall take is mine. The Martin sounds like a classic Martin and the Collings sounds clean and pure and has more presence. The Martin has typical bass-bias and the Collings is more balanced across the tone registers. Some of the difference can be explained by the B&S woods.

If a person was a singer who uses the guitar with few or no fills and riffs or solos, the Martin works. If the player plays lots of riffs, fills and solos, I would choose the Collings as it can do it all. You did not demonstrate them strumming, but I wager the Martin would shine at it. In your hands and playing style, the Collings is a seriously excellent tool.

You have some great guitars and you are very worthy and deserving of them all with your musicality. I appreciate your work.
Old 05-02-2024, 02:42 PM

Gary, I always enjoy your videos. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Collings, but that's likely due to my personal preference for mahogany. The Martin sounds great as well, but the mid-scoop always kinda bums me a bit. Wonderful guitars, both, and your playing is excellent, as per usual!
Old 05-03-2024, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Gary, I always enjoy your videos. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Collings, but that's likely due to my personal preference for mahogany. The Martin sounds great as well, but the mid-scoop always kinda bums me a bit. Wonderful guitars, both, and your playing is excellent, as per usual!
Thanks Treemewt. If I had to pick one it would be the Collings OM1C also!
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-03-2024, 03:46 AM
Charter Member

Great sounding OM’s…both of them. Choosing just one? I would also pick the Collings, but the Martin is no slouch.

The descriptions already used, are how I hear the two, with the Collings being more balanced and the Martin being more scooped. The mahogany vs rosewood stereotypes are very much in play, as well.

For a pair of OMs, I think this is one heck of a pair!
Old 05-03-2024, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

As you noted in the video, the comparison is as much if not more a comparison between mahogany and rosewood as it is between Collings and Martin. I have a personal preference for mahogany as a tonewood over rosewood (e.g., six mahogany dreadnought variants vs. three rosewood, etc.), and I find that guitars with mahogany backs and sides tend to record better than guitars with rosewood backs and sides (or said another way, the mahogany-backed guitars are more forgiving to mic placement, room treatment, etc.). Rosewood-backed guitars can often sound muddier in a recording than they do in person.

All that to say, I preferred the sound of the Collings, but the OMC-28 was no slouch. It definitely had more of that natural rosewood “reverb.”

It’s interesting that Martin has made very few production OM-18s in their history. The longer scale than on a 000 really changes the character. I’m a big fan of the 000-18 as well, but I think the OM-18 is a nice bridge between the 000-18 and the D-18.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

Nice video/review/comparison - thanks!

I'd be happy with either or both - which, as noted by others, really show off both the tone woods and (IMO) the characteristics of the brands. (FD - my only [2] guitars are a mahogany and rosewood OM, so maybe a little biased, though neither a Collings or Martin!)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
As you noted in the video, the comparison is as much if not more a comparison between mahogany and rosewood as it is between Collings and Martin. I have a personal preference for mahogany as a tonewood over rosewood (e.g., six mahogany dreadnought variants vs. three rosewood, etc.), and I find that guitars with mahogany backs and sides tend to record better than guitars with rosewood backs and sides (or said another way, the mahogany-backed guitars are more forgiving to mic placement, room treatment, etc.). Rosewood-backed guitars can often sound muddier in a recording than they do in person.

All that to say, I preferred the sound of the Collings, but the OMC-28 was no slouch. It definitely had more of that natural rosewood “reverb.”

It’s interesting that Martin has made very few production OM-18s in their history. The longer scale than on a 000 really changes the character. I’m a big fan of the 000-18 as well, but I think the OM-18 is a nice bridge between the 000-18 and the D-18.
I was able to play an OM-18 and 000-18 back to back a few years back and I could not agree more. The long scale on the OM-18 gives it more of what I personally like. I do however admire 000-18's. They are great too. But I prefer the OM-18.

Thanks every one else for sharing your insight and thoughts. I agree this was as much a Mahogany versus Rosewood comparison as it is Collings OM (OM1C) versus Martin (OM-28C)

I am still have a trial return period with the Martin and I do prefer the Collings. I will be gigging the Martin 4 more times over the next 3 days. ( have 4 gigs) No pickup in the Collings OM1 yet so it stays home for now.

I gigged the Martin OM-28C last night but this was one of the loudest restaurant/bar venues I play. The crowd noise was almost giving me ear fatigue so it wasn't ideal to hear the Martin. Long story short, the Martin OM-28 sounds great but it is a bit lean and pristine for a loud room. My larger dreads got the job done better last night.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 05-03-2024, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

The Collings has the typical articulation that some love (I do) and others don’t care for. Add in the dry mahogany thing and you’ve got a guitar that will give what it gets.

I had an OM-28e-MD for awhile and found the onboard Aura to sound quite good but it does have a fair amount of sheen. I tended to roll off a bit above 5k with that guitar.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 05-04-2024, 12:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
The Collings has the typical articulation that some love (I do) and others don’t care for. Add in the dry mahogany thing and you’ve got a guitar that will give what it gets.

I had an OM-28e-MD for awhile and found the onboard Aura to sound quite good but it does have a fair amount of sheen. I tended to roll off a bit above 5k with that guitar.
Hey Todd, always good to get your thoughts. I am in complete agreement with you. I agree the Aura has a lot of 'sheen'. It is surprisingly good in ways although I remember trying one many years ago and the battery life is like 27 hours if memory serves? And they die with no warning so I will have to commit to installing a new battery every 4 -5 gigs for good measure. This guitar is a 2017 Custom shop order so I imaging the Aura VT Enhance is from the same era I have experience with.
Collings D1 Traditional
Collings OM1C
Emerald X20
Emerald X30
Martin OMC-28 Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC

www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion