The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2024, 06:55 PM
Charter Member

I have been using it for about three years. It’s especially effective on older guitars which may have not been touched in years. I have used on all types of fretboards with the same positive results.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:06 PM

for those of us that play other musical instruments made from Ebony; i.e. clarinets, oboes piccolos, & bagpipes, etc., Bore oil or Almond oil is used.

$10 bottle lasts me for 10 years on my 92 year old ebony fretboard; wiped clean (usually a small bit of alcohol) during string change, then just a few drops on a piece of cotton, spread it until everything looks shiny.

Any music store that sells woodwind instruments will have it in stock; and Amazon, of course.

Enjoy

Last edited by RADJJD; 05-03-2024 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add info
Old 05-03-2024, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADJJD View Post
for those of us that play other musical instruments made from Ebony; i.e. clarinets, oboes piccolos, & bagpipes, etc., Bore oil or Almond oil is used.

$10 bottle lasts me for 10 years on my 92 year old ebony fretboard; wiped clean (usually a small bit of alcohol) during string change, then just a few drops on a piece of cotton, spread it until everything looks shiny.

Any music store that sells woodwind instruments will have it in stock; and Amazon, of course.

Enjoy
I just ordered some of this to try from McKnight. I have been using Doctor’s Bore Oil for decades with no issues. I’m always game to try something new though, so I will check it out.
Martin D-41
Martin 000-18
Old 05-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
what data or information brought you to this realization?
Fretboard residue is what creates 'vintage tone'.
Old 05-04-2024, 09:36 AM

Default a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
So who shared this secret with you?
Old 05-04-2024, 04:14 PM

Quote:
why i lightly wipe the board with alcohol first, you ask?

Firstly, I'm not a germophobe.

However, Scientific testing shows hundreds of thousands of bacteria PER fingertip, mostly under nails.

Soapy wash will clear loose dirt, but won't disinfect.

So, quick wipe with alcohol, then a light dose of oil.

My 92 year old ebony board looks like it's a 12 year old, hehe
Old 05-04-2024, 04:34 PM

I too have been using bore oil (sparingly) for about fifty years, and nothing ever on my Martins.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 05-04-2024, 04:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Wow, I thought it was Buffalo Wild Wings and Deep Dish Pizza…
Old 05-04-2024, 09:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Wow, I thought it was Buffalo Wild Wings and Deep Dish Pizza…
…plus Crunchy Cheetos!

~ ~ Martin
Old 05-05-2024, 05:27 AM

The more genius's I hang out with, the smarter I get...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 05-05-2024, 07:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn556 View Post
I just ordered some of this to try from McKnight. I have been using Doctor’s Bore Oil for decades with no issues. I’m always game to try something new though, so I will check it out.
I received your order and your kit will go in the mail tomorrow. Please let me know, after receiving it, if you have any questions.

Thanks,
tim...
Old 05-05-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Years of experience/observation that I later found to align with the opinions of many luthiers/techs. Like this guy;
"Some players talk of "feeding" the unfinished surface of the fingerboard with oil. Fingerboards are not actually hungry and don't really need to be fed..." -Frank Ford
Exactly. Fretboard treatments don't "feed" the wood or add any substantial level of protection. Like other oil treatments for wood, including things like butcherblock oil, they will improve the appearance for a short period of time, usually a matter of a few weeks.

Like other hobby-related endeavors, guitar playing and maintenance have a significant amount of snake oil. In audio, it's things like $100 power cords and speaker wires that will improve the sound. Confirmation bias makes us believe these products make things better. They have to, since we paid way too much money for them!

If you want to learn about how various wood finishing products work, I highly recommend Bob Flexner's book "Understanding Wood Finishing."

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-05-2024, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Exactly. Fretboard treatments don't "feed" the wood or add any substantial level of protection. Like other oil treatments for wood, including things like butcherblock oil, they will improve the appearance for a short period of time, usually a matter of a few weeks.

Like other hobby-related endeavors, guitar playing and maintenance have a significant amount of snake oil. In audio, it's things like $100 power cords and speaker wires that will improve the sound. Confirmation bias makes us believe these products make things better. They have to, since we paid way too much money for them!

If you want to learn about how various wood finishing products work, I highly recommend Bob Flexner's book "Understanding Wood Finishing."
Don't omit the various permutations of fish tank pumps....
Old 05-06-2024, 02:56 AM
Charter Member

I’ve never deluded myself that applying oil to a fingerboard somehow ‘feeds’ or ‘hydrates’ it - the wood is dead, and doesn’t need ‘food’, and hydration involves moisture, not oil. But I do enjoy the look and feel of a very-lightly-treated fingerboard and, in this regard, the best product I’ve used on my boards, by a long, long way, is Tim McKnight’s Fingerboard Revival Balm.

I treated the boards on my guitars, following the instructions on the sheet that comes with the container of the product, two years ago, and they still look and feel as smooth and luxurious as they did back then.

To treat fingerboards or not is a personal choice, and everyone is entitled to do whatever they wish with their guitars but, for anyone who likes their FBs to look and feel smoothly luxurious, I have no hesitation in recommending McKnights.

As always, the standard disclaimer applies - IMHO. However, I realise that YMMV, and I’m cool with that.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 05-06-2024 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Don't omit the various permutations of fish tank pumps....
Yes, we do have an endless stream of amusing “I did X and it made a huge difference in tone!” or the charmingly human “I did Y and it made a subtle but definitely noticeable difference in tone” hopeful variant.

But this doesn’t seem to be that. People on this topic are talking about appearance. And the photos of the results do look impressive. Yes, there is a little bit of an undercurrent of taking proper care of the wood’s health, but mostly it’s about just making the fretboard look nice.

Nobody has mentioned linseed oil or teak oil. When I started playing guitar in the ‘70s I remember being advised to treat the fingerboard with boiled linseed oil. I think I might still have a tin of it somewhere.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion