The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-01-2024, 02:55 PM

Default Folding/camp chair for guitar?

Just came back from buying (another, long story) D-16GT and stopped on the way home to hang out by the Ocoee River since it was such a crazy beautiful drive along the gorge.

Had a generic quad chair with me...but they are not well suited for guitar, especially a dread. Need something taller. Yeah, I have the walmart collapsible stool which would work but I'm seeking out something more camp-ish.

Side note - Today I messed with my brief medley of: Two songs both in F, that were both written by Jimmy Webb, and both made hits by Glen Campbell...Wichita Lineman & By The Time I get To Phoenix. Similar chords too, but they're such...great...chords
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 05-01-2024, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

I would be interested in folks suggestions as well. I need a good outdoor guitar chair too. Heck, I need a good indoor guitar chair as well. So far I just use a memory foam cushion purchased from Amazon, sitting on a piano bench.

I do have a Coleman folding seat made of foam and heavy fabric, sort of like a stadium seat. Not too great for sitting on the ground unless you don’t want to ever get up.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:18 PM

I am interested in answers to this question too. I have been looking at the Gator Frameworks Guitar Seat-- anyone have any experience with those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
Just came back from buying (another, long story) D-16GT and stopped on the way home to hang out by the Ocoee River since it was such a crazy beautiful drive along the gorge.

Had a generic quad chair with me...but they are not well suited for guitar, especially a dread. Need something taller. Yeah, I have the walmart collapsible stool which would work but I'm seeking out something more camp-ish.

Side note - Today I messed with my brief medley of: Two songs both in F, that were both written by Jimmy Webb, and both made hits by Glen Campbell...Wichita Lineman & By The Time I get To Phoenix. Similar chords too, but they're such...great...chords
Old 05-01-2024, 04:27 PM

I learned about the MityLite flex chair on this forum and gave it a shot even though it seemed pricey for a card table type of chair. It did not disappoint and I went back for a set of them. I’ve left them outside for months and they look brand new. Very comfortable. The best price I found was at Home Depot, their “HDX” chair is the mitylite flex.
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 05-01-2024, 04:35 PM

17.3" seat height triangle stool with back rest

Fender armless collapsible chair with guitar stand

Comfy chair with adjustable armrests
Old 05-01-2024, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canehorn View Post
I learned about the MityLite flex chair on this forum and gave it a shot even though it seemed pricey for a card table type of chair. It did not disappoint and I went back for a set of them. I’ve left them outside for months and they look brand new. Very comfortable. The best price I found was at Home Depot, their “HDX” chair is the mitylite flex.
Close, but NOT the same. The Flex 1 has a much higher load rating (1000 pounds) and has other differences in the construction details. I outlined the basic differences here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...9&postcount=25

I have both. The HDX is a fine lightweight version of the Mitylite, but is about a third of the weight rating.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-01-2024 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been using a square topped telescopic stool for outdoor guitar playing. With a cushion it is comfortable for me. Some of them, like the one that came with a cushion, are made such that they creak when you move. If you get one of those I’d send it back. These stools get a lot of use in our household. I have one for inside and one for outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2896.jpg (9.0 KB, 208 views)
Old 05-01-2024, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Close, but NOT the same. The Flex 1 has a much higher load rating (1000 pounds) and has other differences in the construction details. I outlined the basic differences here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...9&postcount=25

I have both. The HDX is a fine lightweight version of the Mitylite, but is about a third of the weight rating.

News to me since it shows on HD website as a MityLite Flex 1 chair with the same 1000 lb rating as shown on the MityLite website.
'04 Martin D28
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 05-02-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canehorn View Post

News to me since it shows on HD website as a MityLite Flex 1 chair with the same 1000 lb rating as shown on the MityLite website.
Here's the Home Depot HDX folding chair on the Home Depot website. The weight rating used to be 350 pounds but it is now shown at 600 pounds. They do change their offerings periodically.

Home Depot HDX folding chair

Searching the Home Depot website comes up with no match for the Mity Lite Flex One.

Honestly, I have both and they are not identical. My photos in my linked post specifically show the differences between the two. As I related, the HDX is a great chair, just a bit lower quality for overall construction.

Last edited by Rudy4; 05-02-2024 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:12 AM

That’s strange, I see the specs with 600lbs but that green flyer image shows it as a MityLite with 1000lbs. [emoji2373]. Wonder if just posting more conservative number for liability issues or if MityLite actually cut some corners on an oem version. No worries, for me 600lbs is plenty so I’ll take the discount. :-)
'04 Martin D28
Old 05-02-2024, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Default camp chair

I've tried many different variations, here is my go-to camp chair for guitar playing:
https://www.camptime.com/collections/chair

Lightweight, portable and surprisingly comfortable. 3 sizes available, I prefer the larger size (21") to sit higher. The lower back support is nice too.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

…just google armless folding camp chair…I just did and got a boatload of products
Old 05-02-2024, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

If you read the reviews, you'll find at least a few of those folding chairs that have almost eye-popping load ratings. But the number folks that are looking at the load capacity need to pay attention to is the seating area width, and possibly length. I saw one reviewer remark that even though the chair should have held his weight, he suggested that the load could only be achieved by 10x100lb people stacked on each other's lap; or something like that.

BUT, I'm pretty sure that capacity is more a measure of impact load calculations than a static capacity. So, if a 6' tall, 200lb person has their legs go out from under them and they hit the chair, they'll exert some multiple of their weight for a very short duration, and the [1000lb] chair's gonna sag (briefly, at least the first time), depending on the actual height and other stuff. Make that a 300 lb person and it's probably pushing the limit if they don't ease carefully into that narrow seat...
Old 05-02-2024, 01:40 PM

True but still think I’m safe with a 600lb static rating. I’m <190lbs and if I’m in condition to drop hard onto a chair, I’ll probably miss the chair (camping, tequila & beer can do that…or so I’ve heard [emoji41]). Also I def won’t have a guitar in hand in such a hypothetical which is the OP use case. YMMV. :-)
'04 Martin D28
Old 05-02-2024, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

I can't remember what the name of mine is, but I did find that for solid, lasting folding chairs, the choice was much better from fishing retailers than stuff sold for camping.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion