The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-02-2024, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post

Have you ever felt frets that are protruding beyond the edges of your fingerboard? Contrary to opinions the frets are not swelling and growing in length but rather the wood they are seated into is shrinking due to moisture loss. Ever have a fret end pop loose and requires a trip to your local tech to repair it? Again, this is caused by the fretboard wood shrinking due to moisture loss. Ever had a bridge, especially on a vintage guitar, show a ring of bare wood around it? Or had a bridge crack and split? If you don't mind those aforementioned inconveniences then continue on with not caring for the unprotected bare wood surfaces.
I!
Are you saying that the metal frets on my guitar do not expand and grow with moisture.? Wow I had no idea. Yes I'm being sarcastic.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:25 AM

Many years ago, a very good player explained to me that removing dead skin, oil, and sundry crud from the fretboard is bad luck. So I don't.

Haven't had a problem yet!
Old 05-02-2024, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
Where to order? I’m not seeing it anywhere.
I went to their website, then contact, and sent an email asking how to buy it. They were quick to reply with all necessary info.

~ ~ Martin
Old 05-02-2024, 08:40 AM

Quote:
. . . Most modern finishes do an exemplary job of protecting the outer surfaces from contaminates. In all reality those shiny finishes require little more than a slightly water dampened rag wipe down followed by a soft cotton cloth.
Not my experience! Nothing cleans up the top of my '76 Guild. I've tried blasting.

Quote:
. . . Have you ever felt frets that are protruding beyond the edges of your fingerboard?
Only on one guitar. I sold it to someone who didn't care.

Quote:
Contrary to opinions the frets are not swelling and growing in length but rather the wood they are seated into is shrinking due to moisture loss.
You'll find flat-earthers everywhere.

Quote:
Ever have a fret end pop loose and requires a trip to your local tech to repair it? Again, this is caused by the fretboard wood shrinking due to moisture loss. . . .
Now you tell me! (I probably would've sold it anyway.)

Quote:
Some have mentioned using "Lemon Oil" to treat their fingerboards. This will temporarily add [petroleum distillates] into the wood. I too fell into this trap many years ago. It temporarily makes the wood surfaces look nice and shiny but its only short lived. I would caution you that you may be doing more harm than good with the lemon oil products though. Petroleum distillates will clean the wood but they do so by pulling natural oils out of the wood in the same way that putting Naphtha on your bare skin as it will dry your skin out by pulling natural oils and moisture from your skin. Petroleum distillates rapidly evaporate and you are left with a dryer wood surface than the one you started with. . . .
Good to know. Your fretboard juice sounds like a great idea. Thanks, Tim!
Old 05-02-2024, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
It’s by far the best product I’ve ever used on my FBs and bridges, one treatment has lasted two years and my guitars are showing no sign of needing more. I believe you have to order it direct from Tim McKnight Guitars…

https://mcknightguitars.com/contact-us/

Or I guess you could PM Tim direct via the forum Messaging service

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 05-02-2024 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Not knocking any other suggestions here (part from lemon oil - eugh) but for many years now, I've cleaned and polished my guitars at every string change, with this stuff :

Most guitars get this treatment every three/four months ... but now I'm using XS strings ... ? maybe every 5-6 ... years ?
Old 05-02-2024, 06:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGITM View Post
How does one buy this product? I clicked the link that took me over to the other thread, but is there a link somewhere that will take me to an order screen of some sort?
Quote:
We don’t have a link on our website to purchase it, but I probably should. You can PM or send an email and it can be ordered direct. We can accept PayPal or money order, which ever is more convenient? I usually ship it the following business day.
Old 05-02-2024, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
We don’t have a link on our website to purchase it, but I probably should. You can PM or send an email and it can be ordered direct. We can accept PayPal or money order, which ever is more convenient? I usually ship it the following business day.
Very quick response. I received mine in two days. YMMV

~ ~ Martin
Old 05-03-2024, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
what data or information brought you to this realization?

I'm genuinely curious - not in the premise but in the foundational source of it
I was going to ask the same thing, show me your data and proof, why are you correct, and every luthier and guitar repair person I know says differently?
2021 Martin HD-28 1935 Sunburst
2022 Martin Special 16
2003 Alvarez AJ-60e
2018 Les Paul Standard
2020 61 SG reissue
2013 Fender Mustang Bass
Old 05-03-2024, 11:19 AM

I also use the McKnight product and find that it works great. I used it on my neglected 45 year old Yamaha that was dried out and pathetic and it made it look brand new!
Old 05-03-2024, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

The problem with quoting experts is that there are a lot of experts out there to support pretty much anything you want them to support.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-03-2024, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldstar View Post
I was going to ask the same thing, show me your data and proof, why are you correct, and every luthier and guitar repair person I know says differently?
That's not how it works. The burden of proof is to show why you DO need something. I understand the guy is selling a product and I don't want to attack him or his product. I think there is a valid (cosmetic) reason for using it so I have no problem with the product. Sounds like a great item for those who want to give their boards and bridges a darker look. But, the idea that a fretboard needs nourishment has never been proven to me and I can think of a number of well-respected luthiers (see my Frank Ford quote) who feel they don't need treatment.

If you want to tell me I need to oil my fret boards, when I've owned dozens of guitars over the years that went untreated and none suffered, then you are the one that needs to show some "data and proof" that I did some harm that somehow never manifested. If it's needed then certainly all makers who offer a lifetime warranty must require it, right?

Last edited by Bowie; 05-03-2024 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2024, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

I have to agree with the positive reviews on McKnight's fretboard revival. I've been using it with every string change (typically 2-3 times a year), for about three years. It's a fantastic product -- easy to use, long-lasting, no weird smell or residue, and makes the bridge and fretboard look fantastic. Highly recommended.
Scott Ilott L00 myrtle/redwood
Scott Ilott telecaster
Old 05-03-2024, 05:28 PM

greasy fingers
Old 05-03-2024, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks. Sending a PM…

Yes, you probably should have a direct link on your website. I would have already ordered it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion