The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-29-2024, 12:03 PM

Default Summer Camp in Bar Harbor

https://www.guitarintensives.com/
Anyone else going? Toby Walker is on the faculty this year and it’s limited to like thirty people. I’m going and am looking forward to it.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 04-30-2024, 02:55 PM

Not going. Nice town, nice campus, nice national park, all close together. If you can squeeze in some sightseeing, do it!
Old 05-02-2024, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Bah Hahbuh.
Old 05-02-2024, 08:38 AM

I was tempted, but I still haven’t worked out the mechanics of saying to my wife, “I’m going to guitar camp in Bar Harbor for a week. See ya.”

Weekend workshops worked out well, but I’d feel very guilty taking a whole week. We really do like hanging with each other, even after 40 years!

BTW - I have taken many workshops with Toby. He’s a wonderful teacher.

Rick
Old 05-03-2024, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
I was tempted, but I still haven’t worked out the mechanics of saying to my wife, “I’m going to guitar camp in Bar Harbor for a week. See ya.”

Weekend workshops worked out well, but I’d feel very guilty taking a whole week. We really do like hanging with each other, even after 40 years!

BTW - I have taken many workshops with Toby. He’s a wonderful teacher.

Rick
I do feel a little guilty but my wife is very supportive of my (relatively) new hobby. She’s probably going to drop me off and come back at the end of the week and we’ll hang out for the weekend. I’ve done multiple of Toby’s videos and I’m really excited to learn from him and the other faculty.
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 05-03-2024, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

That looks like a great program, which is about 60-70 minutes (depending on traffic), from my home. But that would be too easy. So I will be heading in the opposite direction to the Alaska Guitar Camp this August. Wicked excited. Laurance Juber for finger stye and Steve Kauffman for flatpicking, as well as other notables. I am five years in with the guitar and have finally reached a stage where I have sufficient skills and confidence to really benefit (hopefully) from an immersion like this. And, though I grew up and still live in Maine, I have to admit that AK is a whole 'nother world of magnificence.

Have a great time in my "backyard." Make sure, if you got the time, to get up to Schoodic Point. It is about an hour from BH and is quintessential Maine bold coastline. A mile plus long slab of pink granite featuring black basalt dykes that slice through in patterns down to the ocean, which beats its fists mercilessly on the shore. The unstoppable force vs immovable object in real time. In storms, it is best to stay away. Rogue waves pluck the unsuspecting off the slab to a near certain outcome.

In the first decades of the last century, at the behest of John D. Rockefeller, who donated some 11,000 acres to create Acadia National Park on Mt, Desert Island (Bar Harbor), the Navy built a state of the art listening station at Schoodic Point, in a building that looks more like a library than a military post. https://schoodicinstitute.org/the-na...choodic-point/
It has been restored, is hands-on, and offers a fascinating glimpse into the tech of the day. Remember, there were German U-boats that patrolled the East coast, and sank at least one merchant ship not far from where I live.

During the Cold War, an over-the-horizon back-scatter radar system was built in that same area - in the middle of blueberry barrens. It was designed to detect low-flying aircraft up to 1800 miles away. Infrastructure from the system, including massive radio towers and signal collectors remain as a reminder of our vulnerability.

Apologies for the thread drift. But, should you come here, there is a unique experience beyond the musical content.

David

Last edited by Deliberate1; 05-03-2024 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2024, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
Not going. Nice town, nice campus, nice national park, all close together. If you can squeeze in some sightseeing, do it!
Absolutely! Been to Bar Harbor and it's a great place. Great restaurants too!
Old 05-03-2024, 08:17 AM

Not to sound cheap but I didn't see the cost on the overview, meals and lodging, or otherwise unless I missed it? I guess you have to contact them?

???
Old 05-03-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Not to sound cheap but I didn't see the cost on the overview, meals and lodging, or otherwise unless I missed it? I guess you have to contact them?

???
I think I did have to call. It’s $1500 for the week of instruction, a private room with shared bathroom, and meals.
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 05-03-2024, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I do feel a little guilty but my wife is very supportive of my (relatively) new hobby. She’s probably going to drop me off and come back at the end of the week and we’ll hang out for the weekend. I’ve done multiple of Toby’s videos and I’m really excited to learn from him and the other faculty.
Now there is trust! Are you SURE she is coming to pick you up at the end of the week?

Further down the thread the cost of the week is mentioned. If $1500 for the whole shebang, that seems quite reasonable to me and it sounds like fun.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-07-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
That looks like a great program, which is about 60-70 minutes (depending on traffic), from my home. . . .
Where are you, David? I'm in Augusta.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write