View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 07:24 PM

I think what is really interesting about these guitars, is that very high level luthiers have decided to market affordable guitars that working musicians can afford, which sound and play way above their pay-grade. They do this (as I understand) by simplifying the entire neck construction (three pieces with a scarf joint at the headstock and a bolt on attachment to the body) simplifying all body decoration, including the finish, and making a lot of construction processes common to all the models—while at the same time making a very light body with a thin top, carefully considered bracing and very thin matte nitro finish, without filling the pores. These are guys who know a lot about what makes a guitar sound good and what makes it cost a lot. I am going up to Burlington and visit the factory in a month or so (I live in Vermont).

If you compare them to a big plant like Martin's or Gibson Montana, they seem to be more of a collective, a group of luthiers who control their supplier. As far as I can see, this is a very winning formula, but you are not going to get what you would with a high end boutique builder or high end model from a factory in terms of finish and glitz, but you are going to pay about a third of the price and it will probably sound great. I have not played one, but they have great word of mouth. I'm looking forward to the visit and playing their models (especially the Smeck and the ND200).
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter

Last edited by gfirob; 04-07-2022 at 07:30 PM.