The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-04-2013, 05:21 AM

Default JJB Prestige 330 Five Stars

Just chiming in to rave about the JJB Prestige 330 pickup.

Installed on a guitar that i just acquired, not my main but very much loved nonetheless, Recording King RD-10.

Just tested it at a rather loud volume for what could be a cafe or a small club, just sitting in front of a 45degrees tilted Roland KC-350 keyboard amp ...

... not even the faintest beginning of feedback ... !! ... wow ...

I'm impressed, and that means that with my regular gear that has a feedback suppressor (Zoom A3) i guess i have some margin before considering clogging the sound hole. The top is vibrant so i thought i would have feedback problem right away, well, nope.

Installation drew buckets of sweat from me, with two hard to admit fails (slight string imbalance) but now i have such a gorgeous sound, no more nor less than my gorgeous and deep and warm RD-10.
And absolutely no EQ was necessary to suppress some nasty resonance peaks, you know, like around 800 Hz - 2 kHz , typical SBT problem.

Really awesome SBTs, and so affordable ... unbelievable ...

Couldn't be happier !

Now considering this brand for a Loar LH-650 archtop.

Really, thank you JJB Electronics.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:37 AM

Yup, JJB pickups are as good as anything comparable on the market.

I use them more and more.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:59 PM

Great to know, Jessie from JJB is a great guy to work with, he replied all my email in no more than 30 mins, very helpful and accept all of my annoying requests
Old 09-04-2013, 11:04 PM

Not only is it as good as anything comparable, but according to my own experience it is (slightly) better and (way) more affordable.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:33 AM

Default Could you share your experience in installation?

[QUOTE=xuoham;3609489]Just chiming in to rave about the JJB Prestige 330 pickup.

Installation drew buckets of sweat from me, with two hard to admit fails (slight string imbalance) but now i have such a gorgeous sound, no more nor less than my gorgeous and deep and warm RD-10.

Hi Xuoham,

I have a set of JJB Prestige 330 waiting to go into my Dreadnaught as I have already finished enlarging the endpin hole for the jack.

I tried using double sided tape to temporarily fix the transducers with no success (they just fell off after a few hours), but I am worried about using superglue in case I need to adjust the positions.

You mentioned two trials before finding the final optimal positions. Can you share with us your experience and how you adjust the positions of the transducers (did you use superglue)?
Old 09-05-2013, 02:07 AM

Hi,

I strictly followed this link provided by Jessie as a complement of information.

I can't see myself doing otherwise than using this cardboard template : you might have all the lights and mirrors in the world, once your hand is in the sound hole you can't see much. Wish i had an endoscopic camera !

1st fail : i followed the proposal of slightly offsetting the treble disk.
Well, it absolutely did not work for me, string imbalance and weak b string.

So i took off (what a pain) the third treble disk with a cutter blade. I actually was cutting through the disk - !! - convinced i was detaching it from the guitar, well, i noticed on time and reglued it ! It looked horrible though and i thought i screwed it up !

2nd fail : OK, the bass and mid disks were ok, just had to reposition the treble disk, but my second carboard template was a bit thick (waffle like carboard) and when i pressed the template inside the guitar, i guess i did not press perpendicular and the disk was perfectly in the middle of the e and b strings but too far from the saddle. ( sigh )

mmmmbullaiwazkoool !! The second disk detaching went like a breeze (thank you Lord of Mercy kind of feeling ) and i reused the same carboard template but this time i made sure it was well crushed and flattened.

I took me the whole afternoon, i cant believe some said they installed in 10 mn.

But hey, it definitely is worth the trouble ! Tears of joy, literally, after so much stress, plug into my gear, check well with the headphones, rhaaaaa ! wonderful !

There is a two weeks old thread you should search where i cry for help, and you can see how it looked.

Here is what it looks like now :

Good Luck !

Oh yeah, i forgot : as a precaution (unlikely but you never know), make sure you have some thin vinyl glove when you press strong for 40 seconds, you sure don't want to end up with a finger superglued inside your guitar, lol.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuoham View Post
I can't see myself doing otherwise than using this cardboard template : you might have all the lights and mirrors in the world, once your hand is in the sound hole you can't see much. Wish i had an endoscopic camera !
If you have two Apple devices, you can use one as a camera inside the guitar. When I installed a different SBT in my guitar, I stuck my iPhone into the guitar and connected to it through FaceTime with an iPad. That way you can see what you're doing clearly in real-time without having to peek and guess!
You can do this with Skype, too. Any smartphone with skype into the guitar, and connect to it from a computer, laptop, tablet, another phone, etc.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:33 AM

Nice One !
Old 09-05-2013, 02:34 AM

Default Thanks a lot Xuoham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuoham View Post
Hi,

I strictly followed this link provided by Jessie as a complement of information.

1st fail : i followed the proposal of slightly offsetting the treble disk.
Well, it absolutely did not work for me, string imbalance and weak b string.

So i took off (what a pain) the third treble disk with a cutter blade. I actually was cutting through the disk - !! - convinced i was detaching it from the guitar, well, i noticed on time and reglued it ! It looked horrible though and i thought i screwed it up !

2nd fail : OK, the bass and mid disks were ok, just had to reposition the treble disk, but my second carboard template was a bit thick (waffle like carboard) and when i pressed the template inside the guitar, i guess i did not press perpendicular and the disk was perfectly in the middle of the e and b strings but too far from the saddle. ( sigh )

mmmmbullaiwazkoool !! The second disk detaching went like a breeze (thank you Lord of Mercy kind of feeling ) and i reused the same carboard template but this time i made sure it was well crushed and flattened.

I took me the whole afternoon, i cant believe some said they installed in 10 mn.

But hey, it definitely is worth the trouble ! Tears of joy, literally, after so much stress, plug into my gear, check well with the headphones, rhaaaaa ! wonderful !

There is a two weeks old thread you should search where i cry for help, and you can see how it looked.

Good Luck !

Oh yeah, i forgot : as a precaution (unlikely but you never know), make sure you have some thin vinyl glove when you press strong for 40 seconds, you sure don't want to end up with a finger superglued inside your guitar, lol.
Will try my luck soon!

Pippin
Old 09-05-2013, 04:13 AM

Gonna install one for my guitar this weekend. Thank you so much for your infomation.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyLuo View Post
If you have two Apple devices, you can use one as a camera inside the guitar. When I installed a different SBT in my guitar, I stuck my iPhone into the guitar and connected to it through FaceTime with an iPad. That way you can see what you're doing clearly in real-time without having to peek and guess!
You can do this with Skype, too. Any smartphone with skype into the guitar, and connect to it from a computer, laptop, tablet, another phone, etc.
Brilliant!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification