The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 AM

Default Adding a strap button

Is this do it yourself or does one pay for it to be done?
How much should the service and strap button cost?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 AM

The button won't cost very much but the question can only really be answered properly if we knew which guitar would get the work: different guitars have different issues with the neck joint, material inside that needs to be taken into consideration and so on.

Some guitar makers post info on their websites on the best way and best place to fit a strap button if there isn't one there already. Fitting a strap button with a screw that is too long could result in the screw trying to drill its way into neck securing bolts for example!

If your woodworking skills are good enough and you know if the guitar in question has any quirks regarding neck joint then you could risk it yourself. Otherwise leave it to a luthier/repairman - IF they also are aware of the particular guitars neck joint construction!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-18-2011, 07:33 AM

It's no big deal to add one yourself. What I do is mark the spot where the button is to go, then drill a tiny pilot hole. Then I drill for the strap button itself.

As Pieter mentioned, it's crucial that you know

A.) Whether there are bolts holding the neck in place;

and if so

B.) Where the bolts are located.

This information is available from the guitar manufacturers.

Gibson, Larrivée and Martin "Standard Series" guitars and up have dovetail neck joints with no bolts in them. Taylors, Tacomas, Collings guitars and many more do have the bolts. So if you're not certain, check with the manufacturers before you proceed.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-18-2011, 07:38 AM

It's actually very easy. I've done four or five with no problem. One good tip is to use a very strong magnet to see if there are any bolts in the heel. The whole process is very well described on www.frets.com
Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 AM

You can also get a useful little thing from sam ash-

Planet Waves Quick Release Attachment
(DDGS15-P)
Our Price: $5.99

it basically attaches to the end of the guitar neck-right past the nut, and it's a buckle which can be easily attached to the open hole on your guitar strap. i just got this and it works perfectly- only if you don't want to go to the trouble of installing the button.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:56 AM

I just did my own on my new Larrivee, but as others have said Larrivee is easy since there's no metal in the neck joint. That said, I was really nervous doing it, and it took me forever to decide on the proper location. As Wade said, pilot hole first. Use tape on the drill bit to prevent over-drilling. I bought the button and a felt spacer from Elderly.

JD
Rainsong S-OM1100N2
Old 10-18-2011, 12:18 PM

For the ten bucks it cost me to have a solid, nice, super-reliable button installed by a professional and trusted luthier, I didn't even spend a second wondering if I might be able to save those ten bucks and invest several hours of reading instructions, caveats and warnings/encouragements, then go out and buy a drill and search for the appropriate drill bit, then take the drill to my brandnew $1,500 Martin and get to work, all the while sweating bullets of anxiety.

I decided to spend those ten bucks.

Edit: I apologize - didn't realize this at first - apparently you were wondering about installing a front button. I was talking about the end-pin. Sorry if that renders my response pointless.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion