The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
The resonance of a particular note at a string position on a guitar can change with time especially early on. When a guitar is first built, the strings will react to the guitar's resonance as it is built. With time and playing, some of your playing style will be imprinted upon the guitar. The guitar can respond back in interesting ways. The most common way for a guitar played with a balanced style is a redistribution and equalization of the path of vibrational energy.

An example would be a new guitar being played on the open Low E string. The bass may or may not be full depending upon the guitar build. If it is not full sounding, it could be that too much of the energy is sitting right at the 82 hz which is not so easily heard by the human ear. As you continue the play the guitar, some of the energy will be transferred up to 164 hz and it will sound fuller. These redistributions of energy can rather significantly affect the response and tonal quality of a guitar. Playing only a handful of notes in just one position on a guitar is not good because the guitar then becomes too "hot" on those notes and lacking on all others. Similarly, putting indiscriminate music or vibrations is counter productive for balance. In most cases, this cannot be fixed and the guitar will maintain the poor balance for potentially, the life of the instrument. For these same reasons, it is not a good idea to be too far off pitch when tuning up a guitar. Alternate tunings are ok but unless you alway plan to use the guitar for a particular reference tuning (i.e. A=432 hz instead of 440), you are far better to stay away from it.

Frank Sanns
Interesting concept Frank. Is there a scientific study you can reference that supports this? I'd like to learn more. Update: Nevermind, I checked out your referenced website. Very interesting indeed!

Last edited by Mike McLenison; 06-16-2014 at 02:13 PM. Reason: their to there - d'oh!
Old 06-16-2014, 01:44 PM

Not wishing to hi-jack the thread, but If what Frank says is absolute fact, then doesn't that absolutely, definitively, once and for all, close the case for Tone Rite and it's ilk ?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLenison View Post
Since owned, I've only changed the strings once using the mentioned Martin 13-56's. I wonder if they changed the diameter of their core wire since it was originally boxed.

For those suggesting humidity, I'm in Arizona which is 10% humidity (or less). I do use the Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Humidifier hanging on the strings suspended inside the body.
So you're saying it went from sounding pretty good with 13-56 to something missing with a new set of 13-56, yes? Thanks.

Best of luck figuring it out!
Old 06-16-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
So you're saying it went from sounding pretty good with 13-56 to something missing with a new set of 13-56, yes?
No. My original statement was: Just before I changed the strings
This was a sudden change. I realize putting on new strings generally sounds thin the first week of playing, but I'm still waiting to see if the old bass resonance gets restored. I been over a week now.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inked View Post
Mine literally gets better every time I play it.
My guitar wants to get better every time I play it. Unfortunately it's being held back by me.
Original Martin Backpacker
Little Martin
Lotus Dread (1st guitar)
Old 06-16-2014, 07:13 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstock64 View Post
My guitar wants to get better every time I play it. Unfortunately it's being held back by me.
LOL! Good one!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:13 PM

In my music room it is 67% rh and my D-28 sounds like old wet sock been stuffed inside. Three days ago at 28% rh, the action was low and it played great. Just have to deal with it.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 PM

Default Did you ever feel your Martin quickly lost some bass response?

I don't like those string hanging humidifiers. Wedging something in there, bending the strings to the side? I don't like that at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion