The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 01:14 AM

Default Did you ever feel your Martin quickly lost some bass response?

Just before I changed the strings on my HD-35, bass response seem to diminish (Especially the D string). The Martin was made in 2012 and purchased last April. I put on my first new set of 13's (Martin SP 7200 Phosphor Bronze Lifespan Coated Medium) as recommended 3 days ago and still sounds thin, but they are new strings... I am mainly a finger-picker. Anyone else experience this? I just ordered Elixir's and Pyramid's 13-56's to see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:44 AM

You haven't been using a Tonerite have you?

If not, it's probably just the new strings. I often find scalloped braced Martins can sound unusually thin right after a string change. Takes a couple of weeks for them to sound "normal" again.

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 06-16-2014, 02:46 AM

Thanks, no Tonerite.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:21 AM

Why not try a set of lights? I've heard that the 35 responds very well to them.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Why not try a set of lights? I've heard that the 35 responds very well to them.

I use lights on my HD-35, they have plenty of oomph to drive its light top, and mediums can get mushy and "dullish", especially when pushed hard.

Could also be a change in the humidity...or a loose brace for that matter, but unlikely on a 2012.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:35 AM

It could be you, not the guitar. Nasal congestion can result in changes to the hearing. I have sometimes noticed a loss in apparent bass response in my guitars and bass because of colds or allergies. A few days later everything is back to sounding good.
Just an alternative theory.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLenison View Post
Thanks, no Tonerite.
There's your answer then, needs some quality ToneRite time.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:39 AM

My guitars change when the seasons change.

It's spring/summer now and they're all sounding deeper and more resonant.

Dunno why.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-16-2014, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

The humidity and heat seem top diminish the tone of some of my guitars during the summer. But I live near the beach in coastal SC. Humidity is a big factor here. I don't know if changing strings (12's to 13's or reverse order) will have a huge effect other than the 13's being a little more robust and maybe a little louder?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:55 AM

Mine literally gets better every time I play it.

and way too many picks...
Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
The humidity and heat seem top diminish the tone of some of my guitars during the summer. But I live near the beach in coastal SC. Humidity is a big factor here. I don't know if changing strings (12's to 13's or reverse order) will have a huge effect other than the 13's being a little more robust and maybe a little louder?
We live about as far from the ocean as possible. And it's very dry here most of the time although we get more humidity in the summer than in the winter.

I would think that acoustic guitars would sound better in the winter months when it's drier and the tops would be more flexible.

But like many theories, reality proves different than my thoughts and theories and that's not been the case for my own guitars.

They sound better and deeper in the spring and summer - the opposite of what I would think they would.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

I would think that humidity extremes in either direction would have negative effects on an acoustic guitar. But still think higher humidity is worse unless we're talking high desert like humidities? I have a sister in Albuquerque and it's seriously dry there. Every guitar is going to react a little differently I suppose?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLenison View Post
Just before I changed the strings on my HD-35, bass response seem to diminish (Especially the D string). The Martin was made in 2012 and purchased last April. I put on my first new set of 13's (Martin SP 7200 Phosphor Bronze Lifespan Coated Medium) as recommended 3 days ago and still sounds thin, but they are new strings... I am mainly a finger-picker. Anyone else experience this? I just ordered Elixir's and Pyramid's 13-56's to see if it makes a difference.
Were you using 12's previously?

I ask because mediums can in some cases restrict a lightly-braced top, which I would consider possible with the Hd-35 and its 1/4" scalloped braces. I don't know, just musing...
Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Were you using 12's previously?
Since owned, I've only changed the strings once using the mentioned Martin 13-56's. I wonder if they changed the diameter of their core wire since it was originally boxed.

For those suggesting humidity, I'm in Arizona which is 10% humidity (or less). I do use the Planet Waves Acoustic Guitar Humidifier hanging on the strings suspended inside the body.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:09 PM

The resonance of a particular note at a string position on a guitar can change with time especially early on. When a guitar is first built, the strings will react to the guitar's resonance as it is built. With time and playing, some of your playing style will be imprinted upon the guitar. The guitar can respond back in interesting ways. The most common way for a guitar played with a balanced style is a redistribution and equalization of the path of vibrational energy.

An example would be a new guitar being played on the open Low E string. The bass may or may not be full depending upon the guitar build. If it is not full sounding, it could be that too much of the energy is sitting right at the 82 hz which is not so easily heard by the human ear. As you continue the play the guitar, some of the energy will be transferred up to 164 hz and it will sound fuller. These redistributions of energy can rather significantly affect the response and tonal quality of a guitar. Playing only a handful of notes in just one position on a guitar is not good because the guitar then becomes too "hot" on those notes and lacking on all others. Similarly, putting indiscriminate music or vibrations is counter productive for balance. In most cases, this cannot be fixed and the guitar will maintain the poor balance for potentially, the life of the instrument. For these same reasons, it is not a good idea to be too far off pitch when tuning up a guitar. Alternate tunings are ok but unless you alway plan to use the guitar for a particular reference tuning (i.e. A=432 hz instead of 440), you are far better to stay away from it.

Frank Sanns

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion