The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM

Default Little Martin recommendation?

I have decided to get a Little Martin for my traveling and camping - they are not great sounding but for what they are they will serve my needs just fine.

I'm considering an LXM for the durability they offer but would also consider an LX1 with the solid wood top, if they sound a bit better than the M's.

Interested in any input as to whether one of the Little Martin models is better than the others - thanks!
Fender Baja Tele
Old 06-15-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnster View Post
I have decided to get a Little Martin for my traveling and camping - they are not great sounding but for what they are they will serve my needs just fine.

I'm considering an LXM for the durability they offer but would also consider an LX1 with the solid wood top, if they sound a bit better than the M's.

Interested in any input as to whether one of the Little Martin models is better than the others - thanks!
Between the LX1 and LXM I would take the LX1... Then again, in general don't like these at all. I highly recommend the Taylor GS Mini (any GS Mini) as an alternative

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 06-15-2014, 05:09 PM

I recommend no.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:27 PM

When I bought my LXME I could not hear any difference.
So I went with the most durable version.
I have never been able to get decent sound out of it.
I use mine only as a computer guitar for practicing youtube videos.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Between the LX1 and LXM I would take the LX1... Then again, in general don't like these at all. I highly recommend the Taylor GS Mini (any GS Mini) as an alternative
Pretty much that last sentence...

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 06-15-2014, 05:30 PM

Would not recommend one.

But if you must, I owned an LXK2 and I felt it sounded better than the LX1. The trebles on the solid top sounded less brittle, but as a whole, I felt the LXK2 sounded better.

That's about all I can say. The LX sounds okay for what it is. A GS mini sounds good, regardless of size or price.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:54 PM

I recommend the LXM. I love the all-HPL. For what you are looking for it can't be beat IMO. See my video review here. http://firsttimeguitarbuyer.com/review-martin-lxm/
Old 06-15-2014, 05:59 PM

I recommend the LX1 because it has the spruce top. I have this guitar and enjoy it for what it is and what I use it for. If the electric model would have had a tuner I would have bought it.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the input - greatly appreciated. I know the Little Martins have their shortcomings but I just need something I won't hesitate to take on trips, camping or leave at work at times. I did have a GS Mini and I hesitated to do those types of things with it - they are a little too nice IMHO for a 'beater'. Maybe I'd feel different if I could pick up a used Mini with that intended purpose - mmm....
Fender Baja Tele
Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 AM

Just wanted to tack on to my original post: is the Little Martin Ed Sheeran model worthy of consideration if looking at the LM's?

Thanks
Fender Baja Tele
Old 06-16-2014, 09:19 AM

I did a side-by-side between the mini martin and baby taylor over the wknd...I'm not a huge taylor fan, but it did win the sound battle.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 AM

Not that you need another person sharing the exact same advice, but I just bought my GS Mini a few weeks ago and demo'd a bunch of stuff in the process.

I really wanted to like the little Martins (not a Taylor fan here) but they just didn't sound nearly as good. That said, of the LXM and LX1 I tried, the LX1 was much better. The LX1 was almost good enough to forgo the GS Mini, but at the end of the day I just couldn't pass up the tone of the Mini and the sweet gig bag made the thought of taking it places exciting.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:48 AM

I have a Martin 000X1ae that replaced a GS Mini. I felt that to 000 had far better tone and I like the size a bit better.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la palma C View Post
Not that you need another person sharing the exact same advice, but I just bought my GS Mini a few weeks ago and demo'd a bunch of stuff in the process.

I really wanted to like the little Martins (not a Taylor fan here) but they just didn't sound nearly as good. That said, of the LXM and LX1 I tried, the LX1 was much better. The LX1 was almost good enough to forgo the GS Mini, but at the end of the day I just couldn't pass up the tone of the Mini and the sweet gig bag made the thought of taking it places exciting.
No worries - thanks for your input. There is no doubt that the GS Mini is far superior to the Little Martins. I regret a bit selling my GS Mini but have to keep reminding myself I did it to buy a Larrivee 00-03MT which is just a fantastic guitar. I just need a travel and knock-around guitar because I'm going to use the Larrivee for that
Fender Baja Tele
Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 AM

I'm not going to suggest the GS mini because it's much more expensive, but did you consider some other options in the price range of little martin that could be better for the money? Like alvarez, walden, seagull, a&l...

little martin is really thin sounding, kind of cardboard-y. I have a feeling that good share of that price goes to the logo. If you really have to, I'd recommend the koa version. To me it sounded the least bad and I actually considered buying it before finding out the other options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion