The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Default A Father's day treat

New set of strings on my lovely old Martin. Long overdue - I tend to keep it in its case over the Minnesota winter, but it's more than humid enough for it to sit out now.

This is a 1963 0-16NY, which I bought for the princely sum of $340, back in 1984, when I first came to the US. The bridge is not original - Charles Hoffman's shop replaced it some 10 years ago - and the pick guard covers a couple of nasty divots, and a crack in the top, also taken care of during that visit to Charlie's. The tuners are also replacements - Gotohs, with which I am well pleased.

This little wonder has been in my possession for more than half my life, and I could never imagine being without it.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 06-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Nice guitar, and I'm glad you gave yourself some new strings on it for father's day. Play happy.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-15-2014, 05:19 PM

Just about the sweetest looking little guitar one could ask for. Nothing like new strings; always the quickest and easiest way to make any guitar sound better. Happy Father's day, man.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Oh, and BTW, it took me about 15 leisurely minutes to restring it this afternoon.

No blood was drawn.
Cordoba Stage

Old 06-15-2014, 06:15 PM

Really beautiful!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:02 PM
Charter Member

Great old Martin, David! Thanks for the photos!

I remember hearing Eric Tingstad (of Tingstad & Rumbel) play that model Martin in a concert. It sounded quite good.

- Glenn
Old 06-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Lucky guy to have such a nice life companion! She shows some years and some miles, but beautiful still and full of soul. She deserved that shiny new jewelry you hung on her.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:51 PM

Beautiful guitar......thanks for sharing!
Old 06-15-2014, 11:16 PM

Very nice. Looks like an old friend for sure.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 PM

Nice guitar, David. It looks well-traveled, well-played and well-loved.

This model is a great favorite of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, particularly on "Aqualung," "Thick As A Brick" and other albums from that era. He's indicated in guitar magazine interviews that he owns several of them, as well as similar small-bodied guitars by other makers.

So when you play it do you wear tights and a codpiece and play standing as you balance on one leg?

Years ago I had a friend back home in Kansas City who played a lot of ragtime and country blues on a Martin New Yorker. Sounded great in his hands. In my hands? Not so much...

Anyway, it's a classic design, and I find it kind of heart-warming in a way when the bridge HAS been replaced and a pickguard installed to cover some divots and some better quality tuners have the taken the place of the worn-out (or maybe just mediocre) originals: it shows that it's a workhorse guitar that's being used and has been used, year in and year out, for decades.

Nice guitar.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-15-2014, 11:43 PM

Lightbulb

Sweet,
Love it, has it had a fret job, they look in really great shape, nice shape guitar!!

Snark Tuner
Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 PM

Does it sound as comfy and timeless as it looks? Nice guitar--what strings did you give it?

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
This model is a great favorite of Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull, particularly on "Aqualung," "Thick As A Brick" and other albums from that era. He's indicated in guitar magazine interviews that he owns several of them, as well as similar small-bodied guitars by other makers.

So when you play it do you wear tights and a codpiece and play standing as you balance on one leg?
I first found out about this model precisely because of Ian Anderson! The inner sleeve of Minstrel in the Gallery has a picture of him with one.

Alas, my tights and codpiece days are over. About the only place I can think of where I habitually stand on one leg is in the shower
Cordoba Stage

Old 06-16-2014, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
Sweet,
Love it, has it had a fret job, they look in really great shape, nice shape guitar!!
It's never had a refret, to the best of my knowledge. When I had the bridge done, we talked about the potential for a neck reset somewhere down the road, but 10+ years later, it doesn't appear to have shifted at all. One day, it will surely need it, and I'll gladly foot the bill when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
Does it sound as comfy and timeless as it looks? Nice guitar--what strings did you give it?
It does indeed, Sandy - it's warm and surprisingly punchy for its size. I put a set of Elixir Nanoweb PB Lights (12-53) on it this time; it sounds its best with John Pearse PBs, but they don't last anything like as well as the Elixirs do.
Cordoba Stage

Old 06-16-2014, 05:56 PM

After I mentioned that Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull has long used Martin New Yorker model guitars, David wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I first found out about this model precisely because of Ian Anderson! The inner sleeve of Minstrel in the Gallery has a picture of him with one.

Alas, my tights and codpiece days are over. About the only place I can think of where I habitually stand on one leg is in the shower
My wife discourages me from sauntering around in tights and a codpiece, too, let's just leave it at that.

But, David, one possible solution for you would be to rent a storage unit, keep the tights and codpiece there, and then go there to wear them in privacy whenever the urge comes upon you. I mean, there's no actual reason that your wife should know about this secret arrangement unless you were to foolishly TELL her....

Just a thought.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton "SITTING On A PARK BENCH!!" Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion