The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
That's right. That's the intimacy I was referring to and the same reason I prefer smaller guitars.

We're all different though and it didn't stop Joni Mitchell from playing her big D28 and singing and playing beautifully.
+2

And I thought it was a D-18, but you nailed the point - she made that dread sound perfect, and it certainly didn't hamper her singing
Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM

They both have their uses. I will probably always utilize both. All dreads are not boomy and unbalanced. My 12 fret Collings dread is as well balanced as any guitar I have owned. I use smaller guitars mostly but there are times when that Collings is better to get what I have to say, across. There are no absolutes.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Found this on one of the Joni Mitchell websites:

"These days, Mitchell's main acoustics are a Martin D-45, a Martin D-28, and two Collings--a D2H dreadnought and the 3/4-size Baby seen in the cover photo--that she calls "the best acoustic guitars I've found since I lost my dear one." She says, "I need really good intonation, and one of the signs of really good intonation is how flashy the harmonics are with a light touch. You should be able to get them to bloom like jewels. Both those guitars have that capacity. Of the two, the big one [which was the primary guitar for Turbulent Indigo] records better, but the little one is so sweet to cradle. It's just the right size for sitting. I write a lot on it and I travel with it, which is kind of scary. I carry it on board with me, because I won't take a chance on it. I won't let it go into the hold and get mushed like my beloved." For performance, her acoustics are equipped with Highlander pickups, which she uses in combination with an external microphone."

When Joni is speaking of her beloved, she's speaking of the Martin D28 she used on all of her early albums. It was damaged by the airlines and then, later, stolen.

She does think the two Collings she plays now compare well with that old D28 - but that the Martin, in its prime, was even better.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 AM

Wink why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRodgers View Post
Why did you do it? I know a lot of folks have shoulder issues and such. But, what other reasons? In a culture where biggest and loudest is better, why did you go against the grain and say the smaller body is better for me. I am excited to see some of the insight and responses on this. I ask because I may be faced with this scenario in the near future if present trends continue.

Beyond the comfort of a smaller body to hold and play and the issues of aging etc........
Having a more intimate, less volume, more responsive acoustic led me to the 0 and 00 sizes. 00 is my preferred size, but the old dread still gets played once in a blue moon. But my #1 response...the 00 is to me the finest looking acoustic , ever. (might have something to do with the female shape!)
Old 06-16-2014, 09:26 AM

Actually for me it's dreads. I am very comfortable playing them and enjoy the sound they make and the volume they produce when needed. Now I have a Seagull Mini Jumbo that is smaller than a dread. It's a nice guitar that I use for finger picking. It is smaller and does feel right for finger picking but does not feel right when trying to play Bluegrass. One of the things I have learned is the strap on the Dread does make a differance in comfort. Now I do stretches for my shoulders, arms and hands and I am pretty flexible so thank God no shoulder pain or any medical issues of that nature that prevents me from playing my Dreads. I am 51 and reading issues that some people have as getting older has made me work on a stretching and exercise program years before I get to that point. I want to be as limber and fit as possible so I do not have to go to smaller guitars (Hopefully) when in my 60 and beyond.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
Found this on one of the Joni Mitchell websites:

"These days, Mitchell's main acoustics are a Martin D-45, a Martin D-28, and two Collings--a D2H dreadnought and the 3/4-size Baby seen in the cover photo--that she calls "the best acoustic guitars I've found since I lost my dear one." She says, "I need really good intonation, and one of the signs of really good intonation is how flashy the harmonics are with a light touch. You should be able to get them to bloom like jewels. Both those guitars have that capacity. Of the two, the big one [which was the primary guitar for Turbulent Indigo] records better, but the little one is so sweet to cradle. It's just the right size for sitting. I write a lot on it and I travel with it, which is kind of scary. I carry it on board with me, because I won't take a chance on it. I won't let it go into the hold and get mushed like my beloved." For performance, her acoustics are equipped with Highlander pickups, which she uses in combination with an external microphone."

When Joni is speaking of her beloved, she's speaking of the Martin D28 she used on all of her early albums. It was damaged by the airlines and then, later, stolen.

She does think the two Collings she plays now compare well with that old D28 - but that the Martin, in its prime, was even better.
Well, I was wrong! Thanks for posting that
Old 06-16-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la palma C View Post
Well, I was wrong! Thanks for posting that
That's not why I posted it.

But thanks!

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-16-2014, 09:50 AM

I only ever owned dreads. But then I discovered 00's and 000's and I played them almost exclusively. Now, I'm back to playing mostly dreads again, but still spend some time with my 00 and 000.

I came dangerously close to liquidating my dreads when first falling in love with smaller guitars. Glad I didn't. I love both sizes.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIntermediate View Post
I came dangerously close to liquidating my dreads when first falling in love with smaller guitars. Glad I didn't. I love both sizes.
Same thing happened to me only I did sell one of my two dreads.

I kept the best one but the one I sold was a wonderful guitar too.

I regret selling it but at the time (several years ago) I didn't know that I needed shoulder surgery and the reason I was having so much trouble playing my dreads was because I had a torn tendon and needed shoulder cuff surgery.

Oh well...I still feel more comfortable playing my OM's - although I love sound of my old Taylor Dreadnaught.

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 06-16-2014 at 10:02 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion