The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-15-2014, 10:22 AM

Smile

Way back when, I had an 0 size Martin that I sold for all the wrong reasons. When I went looking for a new guitar about 5 years ago, I tried everything from M, Dread, 000, of several brands. I ended up with a 000-16GT. After I felt that GAS attack, I found another 0 to replace what I had years ago. So I guess my reason is: I started with small bodies and I will always gravitate to small bodies. Now if I can find the correct 00....
Old 06-15-2014, 10:55 PM

The balance, intimacy, and they look so so so so much better. 000 and om's are my preference but I would get a 00 or parlor down the line. Dreads just don't do much for me. The only time I've been tempted after my initial switch was a new d-18 ambertone at gryphon strings. I imagine the new 000-18 would hit the spot.

I doubt I'll own another dread. The whole volume argument seems antiquated with all the amplification options we have these days.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 06-15-2014, 11:02 PM

"For me it had nothing to do with size (I'm 5'10" with longer than average arms and long fingers) and everything to do with tone."

Twinzees

Want volume, get a mike or learn to play the particular guitar.

I really like dreads, played them for 50 years. I can get what I want out of 000s and smaller. It's called technique. Dreads trash my previously abused right shoulder.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:50 AM

I started learning the guitar on a dreadnaught for about a year. Then, I picked up a breedlove concert passport without ever playing a concert shaped guitar. When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it was to play.

There was a trade off in the bass department, but it made up for it in projection and a warm focused midrange. (solid cedar top, laminate back and sides.)

It even had a a slim low profile neck... before this I didn't even know there were different sized necks. My first dreadnaught had a chunky thick neck and caused my fret hand to cramp up all the time, after switching to the breedlove, the cramping was alleviated immensely.

Palm muting sounds better on the dreadnaught however, it's a bit tricky for me to palm mute properly on the concert guitar, but I am still a beginner.

But yea, at the moment the concert guitar is my favorite shape, worth the trade off in bass for the comfort.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:36 AM

I like the sounds of my 2 smaller guitars.

However there are still situations for the dreadnaught to be used.

It is still a nice sounding and playing guitar.

Sorry to hear it has become a physical issue for some.

I learned how to play on a dreadnaught.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 06-16-2014, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

For me, it had nothing to do with shoulder pain. The smaller guitars are much more comfortable, but the dreads didn't cause me pain.

I was knocked out by the sound of my first 00… I loved its direct, focused sound. That guitar coincided with a move to almost all fingerstyle and the small guitars excel at that style.

And before my dread, I had played a smaller-bodied guitar for decades, so the decision to get rid of my dread wasn't really a difficult one. Now, other than travel guitars, every one I have is an 0 or 00.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 AM

I'm a fan of more balanced tone and easier playing, so I just have never bonded well with dreads. Although not exactly smaller, I do find that the narrow waist of a Jumbo or Larrivee L guitar gives me more comfort and more balanced sound without sacrificing much volume or having weak bass.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:57 AM

I play both dreads and smaller and love them all. They each have their own perpose. I couldn't play dreads for a while do to some healing injuires. But now I can again and love them more even than before.

and way too many picks...
Old 06-16-2014, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I have both. I play my smaller body guitars more it seems unless I'm in a group of players or a song circle and I'll usually play one of my dreads then. Unless we're plugging in and then it doesn't matter? And I do have a torn rotator cuff in my right shoulder so that does play into the decision making some?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-16-2014, 08:12 AM

I love the way my Taylor 710B sounds. It's a dreadnaught.

But it's so big it's like trying to dance with or hold a big woman - a woman to big for me and one I can barely get my arms around.

I have an almost intimate connection with my acoustic guitars and if they're to big I lose some of that intimacy.

My other three acoustics are all OM size and I can wrap my right arm around them so much more easily and finger pick so much more comfortably.

The sound is not as full, loud or bassy as my dreadnaught but my guitars are all real good sounding guitars and the sound is bassy and full enough.

Mostly, I'm just physically more comfortable holding and playing my OM's.

Playing my OM's is like I'd imagine holding Michelle Phillips might be like. Playing my Dreadnaught is like I'd imagine holding Mama Cass might be like!

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-16-2014, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Comfort is the obvious byproduct from playing a smaller guitar but the other thing that I have realized is that since I am small sized person, a smaller guitar feels more like an extension of my body and it allows me to be present with the music more easily. As a singer/songwriter that is important to me since I am trying to convey a message or set an emotional tone. With a larger guitar, I feel as though I have this thing between me and my voice, the audience, or whoever I am playing music with. So, I have developed a preference for parlors and OOs.

Best,
Jayne
Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRodgers View Post
Why did you do it? I know a lot of folks have shoulder issues and such. But, what other reasons? In a culture where biggest and loudest is better, why did you go against the grain and say the smaller body is better for me. I am excited to see some of the insight and responses on this. I ask because I may be faced with this scenario in the near future if present trends continue.
For me it was about tone and style of play. I still have my AJ and play it whenever I am jamming with friends because I need the volume. When I'm just by myself fingerpicking, I just like the way the small bodies sound and feel.

I've never had any pain or fatigue issues with the bigger guitars, but I am also pretty young so who knows what the future holds.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:17 AM

I switched because I am a short guy with xlarge hands. I tend to do alot of playing while sitting, and find big bodies painful.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Comfort is the obvious byproduct from playing a smaller guitar but the other thing that I have realized is that since I am small sized person, a smaller guitar feels more like an extension of my body and it allows me to be present with the music more easily. As a singer/songwriter that is important to me since I am trying to convey a message or set an emotional tone. With a larger guitar, I feel as though I have this thing between me and my voice, the audience, or whoever I am playing music with. So, I have developed a preference for parlors and OOs.

Best,
Jayne
That's right. That's the intimacy I was referring to and the same reason I prefer smaller guitars.

We're all different though and it didn't stop Joni Mitchell from playing her big D28 and singing and playing beautifully.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 AM

Comfort/size, tone and looks. After 37 years exclusively with a D-18, I found it had become increasing uncomfortable to play .. and, with the acquisition of some digital recording gear, I found all that Dred boom and rumble to be troublesome. Gave the D-18 to my nephew and acquired several 00s and an 000. Don't miss the Dred at all, and now find them to be rather ugly to look at.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion