The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-12-2014, 03:38 PM

Default J-45 Gibson Logo Pick Guards

On a Gibson J-45 ADJ (made between 1966 and 1969) with rosewood bridge, does the Gibson logo pick guard add to, detract from or have no effect on its perceived value as compared to other Gibson J-45 made before or after this time-period?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:21 PM

Default Pick guards

They weren't original equipment, but you could add one if the original needs replacement.

If you plan to sell it to a collector it might make a diffence, but to a player it probably wouldn't matter.

What kind of shape is the rest of the guitar in?
Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Hi Phil,
I'm thinking no difference. You're talking about that Norlin badge, right? I've seen them on some 60s 45s, not on others. Gibson is Gibson--whatever was in the parts drawer would find its way onto whatever guitar happened to be there.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-13-2014, 11:13 AM

Default Shape

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Bernie View Post
They weren't original equipment, but you could add one if the original needs replacement.

What kind of shape is the rest of the guitar in?
Thanks for responding. My mom bought me the guitar in late 1968 or 1969 new. It came with a pick guard with a Gibson logo (with orange dot) splashed just below the sound hole at about 4 o'clock. Everything except strings original. There's some finish checking of course. In 1969, I remember my guitar instructor at Brook Mays said for what my mom paid (about $200), the guitar sounded really good. It still sounds good, but the sustain does seem much longer now than when new.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
Hi Phil,
I'm thinking no difference. You're talking about that Norlin badge, right? I've seen them on some 60s 45s, not on others. Gibson is Gibson--whatever was in the parts drawer would find its way onto whatever guitar happened to be there.
Thanks for the reply. If Norlin era J-45s are identified by pick guard with Gibson logo, then the guitar I'm talking about is a Norlin era J-45, though it was likely made in 1968 or early 1969.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNBend View Post
Thanks for the reply. If Norlin era J-45s are identified by pick guard with Gibson logo, then the guitar I'm talking about is a Norlin era J-45, though it was likely made in 1968 or early 1969.
The pickguard with the logo has no more to do with Norlin than the adjustable saddle bridge or 1 9/16" nut. An Ecuadorian company ECL purchased a majority stock in CMI (Gibson's parent company) in December 1969. The following year, ECL changed its name to Norlin Industries (the "in" being Arnie Berlin who took over CMI in 1965).

A 1968 J-45 though will have heavier top bracing than a guitar made in 1967. In 1969 the top bracing got even heavier. 1971 is when the now infamous "double X" bracing shows up.

Last edited by zombywoof; 06-13-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:37 PM

Thanks for this information about the bracing on the J-45 guitar. Until today, I never heard of the Gibson "Norlin" era. These forums are really helpful educating the public of which I am very much a member.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Hi Phil,
Is it slope shouldered? I'm betting it is, and therefore more likely a 68.

Show us a pic.

Zombie woof is right about the history.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-16-2014, 06:40 PM

Default Pictures

Here are some pictures as requested.

Hope this works. It's my first time to post images on this site.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful slope. That's pre 69.

Optima dies, prima fugit

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion