The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
This won't be a proper left-handed guitar thread until some right-handed guitarists chime in, in order to patiently explain to the rest of us that it would be so much easier for all left-handed guitarists if they'd just learn how to play right-handed....

This is always explained so earnestly and sincerely, too!

Wade Hampton "Leftist Tendencies" Miller
So true! The last time I posted for recommendations for a left-handed guitar for my daughter I got a bunch of "why don't you make her play right-handed posts." It's kind of annoying actually.

Fortunately my small local store had a Taylor Baby and Big Baby stocked. We got the Big Baby.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:48 PM
Perennially Maladroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Concerning the part that you highlighted , please refer to the Wade Hampton post. Totally unnecessary and unrelated to the original topic .
I enjoyed Wade's post as he truly illustrates what eventually seems to happen in practically every left-handed thread. I'm not so sensitive about the way I approach my guitar-playing that I need to be rude to those who may have a different opinion.
This frees me up to be rude to a whole different group of people!
Old 07-31-2013, 07:39 PM

Otterhound, I was trying to humorously preempt those right handed guitarists who come onto threads about left-handed guitars just to ponderously lecture left-handed guitarists that they would make their lives SO much easier by playing right-handed.

If you didn't get the humor in my post, I apologize, but you must not have read enough of these threads - sooner or later there are always some sincere folks trying to "correct" all those who play lefty.

Why this should be, I have NO idea, but if you search the forum archives, you'll find endless examples of what I'm talking about.

Just for the record, I'm ambidextrous and play right-handed, but after more than thirty years of teaching stringed instruments I've learned that some leftys can play right-handed, but many cannot. I would be the last person to ever presume to tell someone else whether to play right- or left-handed.

Hope that makes more sense to you now.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 PM

And I made an observation concerning that plus added a comment .
I am not at the mercy of any dealer or manufacturer because I can supply myself as far as everything except electronics and hard metal parts .
I consider that to be at my advantage . It is a reality and I like it . I have worked hard to be in this position . Willing to bet that most of you would like to be in that position because as well because it is a good feeling .
It sure would be a pleasurable difference to see a lefty thread that does not include the cynicism of the " make them play righty " crowd even in jest . I find it boorish .
Old 07-31-2013, 10:32 PM

Okay, I got it. My apology is not accepted. Duly noted.

whm
Old 07-31-2013, 10:42 PM

I would definitely go to this if i live in the U.S

http://www.southpawguitars.com/
Old 08-01-2013, 03:52 AM

Smile

Hi All,
(Long post warning!)

I don’t post often but thought I’d chime in as it’s relevant to me. I’m a lefty and can relate to some of the experiences relayed here: certainly my Larrivee Forum compatriot TuffythePug’s tale sounds familiar.
It appears there’s some misunderstanding on the intent behind Wade’s post. Now, I’ve read many posts from Wade over time and have come to recognise his musings as well informed and sincere. In this case I’d say it was a show of witty empathy with the left handed community. I’ve also seen stacks of ‘lefty’ posts over the years and they do often come with the inevitable well-meaning lecture from a minority of righty handers (to which my response would typically be ‘Sorry. My brain doesn’t work that way. Deal with it!’)

I had the pleasure of meeting Jean Larrivee recently (another lefty as it happens, and a nice bloke too) along with his UK distributor. We had a bit of a chat about the commercial reality of retailers stocking left handers and came to the conclusion that:

A: There are probably more lefty’s walking around guitar shops than dealers realise – it’s just that they won’t bother engaging in discussion once they’ve looked round the room and realised nothing applies to them. (After all who wants to order in an expensive guitar especially ‘just to try it out’ only to find out that you don’t like it after all and the dealer then gets stroppy at having ‘gone the extra mile’ for you and attempts to make you feel obligated to buy? I’ve been there. It happens. Not a nice experience)

B: Dealers may surprise themselves if they devoted even a small corner of a room to an intelligent selection of lefties. They would probably pick up a devoted customer base prepared to travel to them for the novelty and who value the opportunity of a real selection (and education for their sound pallet) that I suspect righty’s may take for granted.

The US is lucky in having places like JerrysLeftyGuitars and Vic’s Lefty Guitars Only. It’s surprising that even in London with a glut of music shops a decent lefty is rare as hen’s teeth. However I would cite Holiday Music near Southend and GuitarGuitar in Epsom (and various locations Up North) as notable exceptions – the latter even going beyond the obvious mainstream brands and getting into some pretty interesting stuff. Credit where credit’s due!

When I win the lottery I’m ordering a batch of lefties and setting up a charitable research foundation to allow people to try things out. In the meantime, I reckon we lefties should take control and arrange some meet-and-greets to get together and play each other’s guitars.

As for shopping as a lefty: Yes, it can be tricky and there’s an element of ‘order and hope for the best’ about it. On the other hand, it’s saved me from any number of impulse purchases and GAS attacks over the years. As you take a risk ordering anyway, it may mean that going custom is the way forward.

G
Old 08-02-2013, 01:06 AM

Now that I've shopped for some lefties, I'm glad I can play righty ... though when I first bring up ordering a lefty, I get strange looks since I've been playing righty (and I play better righty). The only thing I regret is not playing lefty sooner, but I really didn't want to relearn everything ... and relearning is taking even longer than I thought it would.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapefruit1 View Post
Hi All,
(Long post warning!)

I don’t post often but thought I’d chime in as it’s relevant to me. I’m a lefty and can relate to some of the experiences relayed here: certainly my Larrivee Forum compatriot TuffythePug’s tale sounds familiar.
It appears there’s some misunderstanding on the intent behind Wade’s post. Now, I’ve read many posts from Wade over time and have come to recognise his musings as well informed and sincere. In this case I’d say it was a show of witty empathy with the left handed community. I’ve also seen stacks of ‘lefty’ posts over the years and they do often come with the inevitable well-meaning lecture from a minority of righty handers (to which my response would typically be ‘Sorry. My brain doesn’t work that way. Deal with it!’)

I had the pleasure of meeting Jean Larrivee recently (another lefty as it happens, and a nice bloke too) along with his UK distributor. We had a bit of a chat about the commercial reality of retailers stocking left handers and came to the conclusion that:

A: There are probably more lefty’s walking around guitar shops than dealers realise – it’s just that they won’t bother engaging in discussion once they’ve looked round the room and realised nothing applies to them. (After all who wants to order in an expensive guitar especially ‘just to try it out’ only to find out that you don’t like it after all and the dealer then gets stroppy at having ‘gone the extra mile’ for you and attempts to make you feel obligated to buy? I’ve been there. It happens. Not a nice experience)

B: Dealers may surprise themselves if they devoted even a small corner of a room to an intelligent selection of lefties. They would probably pick up a devoted customer base prepared to travel to them for the novelty and who value the opportunity of a real selection (and education for their sound pallet) that I suspect righty’s may take for granted.

The US is lucky in having places like JerrysLeftyGuitars and Vic’s Lefty Guitars Only. It’s surprising that even in London with a glut of music shops a decent lefty is rare as hen’s teeth. However I would cite Holiday Music near Southend and GuitarGuitar in Epsom (and various locations Up North) as notable exceptions – the latter even going beyond the obvious mainstream brands and getting into some pretty interesting stuff. Credit where credit’s due!

When I win the lottery I’m ordering a batch of lefties and setting up a charitable research foundation to allow people to try things out. In the meantime, I reckon we lefties should take control and arrange some meet-and-greets to get together and play each other’s guitars.

As for shopping as a lefty: Yes, it can be tricky and there’s an element of ‘order and hope for the best’ about it. On the other hand, it’s saved me from any number of impulse purchases and GAS attacks over the years. As you take a risk ordering anyway, it may mean that going custom is the way forward.

G
Greetings fellow UK-based lefty, perhaps we should try to organise a UK all-lefty jam!
You make some very valid points. The best selection of lefties I've some across in the UK is at GuitarGuitar in Edinburgh.
Are you on www.leftyfrets.net ?
btw, if you know any UK lefties looking for a nice 000 spruce/rosewood acoustic, I'm selling my custom short scale "Moon", seen below in the hands of her maker in Glasgow. I've just bought a Hummingbird & have decided I'm just not a small bodied guitar guy.

2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin
2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster

Last edited by Lefty Guy; 08-02-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:28 PM

Hi Lefty Guy.

A UK lefty jam sounds great - Hampshire's not too far away from Hertfordshire. If any other UK lefty's feel like getting involved send me a PM and we'll see if we can arrange something. I'm offline for a week or so but will get back in touch soon after that. Would be nice to have a decent taster session on a range of guitars (if anyone's got any UK custom stuff, that would be ace! I'd love a crack on an Adrian Lucas, Taran, Kinkade or Brook to see if those builders are up my street).

That's a nice Moon 0003 there: I met Jimmy and his wife at last year's London show. They brought a stock lefty 0003 for me to try. Felt lovely but it was just too loud in the room to really get a feel for the tone and I didn't feel I could take the risk (there was also a nice BSG small jumbo for half the price tempting me too). I've been impressed by Jimmy Moon's stuff and have a CZ3 on my shortlist if I can save enough money (I'd want to go for a 1.75 nut width though for picking friendliness).

I'll get myself hooked up to lefty frets soon.

All the best
G
Old 08-02-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Okay, I got it. My apology is not accepted. Duly noted.

whm
All I can say is that if it keeps the peace to say apology accepted , then apology accepted .
Opinions are always accepted . Even the ones that I disagree with .
Why fuel the attitude by introducing this where it looks to not be headed in the first place ?
I am self depricated to death on the lefty-righty thing and prefer to have it slide into the past where it belongs .
For us leftys to perpetuate it is like whipping oneself .
How about we just let it die and not conjure it up ourselves ?
Forgive my common sense approach .
Old 08-02-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapefruit1 View Post
Hi Lefty Guy.

A UK lefty jam sounds great - Hampshire's not too far away from Hertfordshire. If any other UK lefty's feel like getting involved send me a PM and we'll see if we can arrange something. I'm offline for a week or so but will get back in touch soon after that. Would be nice to have a decent taster session on a range of guitars (if anyone's got any UK custom stuff, that would be ace! I'd love a crack on an Adrian Lucas, Taran, Kinkade or Brook to see if those builders are up my street).

That's a nice Moon 0003 there: I met Jimmy and his wife at last year's London show. They brought a stock lefty 0003 for me to try. Felt lovely but it was just too loud in the room to really get a feel for the tone and I didn't feel I could take the risk (there was also a nice BSG small jumbo for half the price tempting me too). I've been impressed by Jimmy Moon's stuff and have a CZ3 on my shortlist if I can save enough money (I'd want to go for a 1.75 nut width though for picking friendliness).

I'll get myself hooked up to lefty frets soon.

All the best
G
Maybe you can get that lefty Paul guy to stop in .
Better yet , why not set up an all lefty world record attempt . Something like the single largest group of left handed guitar players to ever play the same song in the same place at the same time ? That would be some serious cool .
I gotta ask this .
Can someone explain to me why people seem so concerned about nut width when it comes to fingerpicking ?
Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Can someone explain to me why people seem so concerned about nut width when it comes to fingerpicking ?
The wider the neck the more room for string spacing which allows you to easier pluck the strings. If you have thin fingers it may not be an issue but for others It matters.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Back to the OP:

Yes, it can be limited at times in looking for quality lefty guitars. BUT... it's better today than EVER before thanks to dealers like:

Jerry's Lefty Guitars

Lefty Guitars Only

Folkway Music (Canada)

My Favorite Guitars (for Martin lovers)

Most luthiers will build a lefty with no upcharge. I know, I've had quite a few built in the past 10 years.

So, we're a minority but there ARE options available out there!

Gary

Last edited by Kerbie; 04-23-2019 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Removed advertising
Old 08-03-2013, 08:29 PM

Last edited by bzean123; 07-18-2019 at 02:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion