The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 AM

Default Shopping for the Leftys?

It really must be tough for the leftys to shop for guitars. Are there only certain models available? I've never thought about that before.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:50 AM

Default Lefty here...

As to your questions:

Yes and Yes.

The problem is not availability -many companies large and small offer lefty models. The problem is that no one will stock them.

It is a bit frustrating at times.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackajesusfreak View Post
It really must be tough for the leftys to shop for guitars. Are there only certain models available? I've never thought about that before.
Depends. Some make it easy. Taylor will sell any standard model in a lefty for example (Same price).

I think what is tougher is finding a dealer who carries them. They can order at no up charge.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:20 PM

Many companies won't make Leftys, they won't interrupt production lines. Most custom shops will now make a lefty with no up charge, of course getting to play before you buy can be a challenge. There are now 3-4 Lefty only dealers on the Internet and happily they are honest and very accommodating .
Old 07-30-2013, 08:44 PM

Taylor, Martin, and Larrivee all offer every single model they make as a left-handed version at no extra cost.

Jean Larrivee plays left-handed BTW.

The problem is stocking dealers. Only 7% of the population is left-handed, and a significant portion of lefties either play right handed, or play a right-handed guitar upside down. Thus the population of left handed players is in the low single digits.

I see LOTS of used left-handed instruments for sale though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-30-2013, 08:57 PM

This won't be a proper left-handed guitar thread until some right-handed guitarists chime in, in order to patiently explain to the rest of us that it would be so much easier for all left-handed guitarists if they'd just learn how to play right-handed....

This is always explained so earnestly and sincerely, too!

Wade Hampton "Leftist Tendencies" Miller
Old 07-30-2013, 10:20 PM

Default Shopping for the Leftys?

Different models are not really that big a problem. The problem is being available to try out a variety of different guitars since there are very few places that have an abundance of left-handed models to play.

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 AM

I play left handed and I've never had difficulty acquiring top quality instruments. I've had Gibsons, Martins, Guilds, Fenders, Gretschs and right now I have 4 Larrivee guitars. The real issue, as stated by others, is finding them in stock at a guitar store so you can try them out first. I've bought most of my guitars based on research and reading reviews and watching videos of guitars I thought I might want; Then ordering them or finding them on ebay or other such sources. Ironically, one of the guitars that I did find in a shop and played beforehand turned out to be one that I just never could bond with and I sold it after a few years. It was a Gibson Hummingbird. I think I was just so excited to find one hanging on the wall of my local guitar shop that I convinced myself I had to have it. Another Gibson, my 93 Gospel, was also hanging in a shop and I loved it then and still do.

It's so much better these days than it was years ago when us lefties usually had to resort to converting right handed guitars to lefties.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
This won't be a proper left-handed guitar thread until some right-handed guitarists chime in, in order to patiently explain to the rest of us that it would be so much easier for all left-handed guitarists if they'd just learn how to play right-handed....

This is always explained so earnestly and sincerely, too!

Wade Hampton "Leftist Tendencies" Miller
I was going to say "it wouldn't be a problem if they would have learned to play the 'right' way..." ba-da-bum... ding!

I certainly see the challenge of finding models to sample, but at least there is the comfort of knowing that they're readily out there at places like lefty guitars only or Jerry's.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffythepug View Post
I play left handed and I've never had difficulty acquiring top quality instruments. I've had Gibsons, Martins, Guilds, Fenders, Gretschs and right now I have 4 Larrivee guitars. The real issue, as stated by others, is finding them in stock at a guitar store so you can try them out first. I've bought most of my guitars based on research and reading reviews and watching videos of guitars I thought I might want; Then ordering them or finding them on ebay or other such sources. Ironically, one of the guitars that I did find in a shop and played beforehand turned out to be one that I just never could bond with and I sold it after a few years. It was a Gibson Hummingbird. I think I was just so excited to find one hanging on the wall of my local guitar shop that I convinced myself I had to have it. Another Gibson, my 93 Gospel, was also hanging in a shop and I loved it then and still do.
It's so much better these days than it was years ago when us lefties usually had to resort to converting right handed guitars to lefties.
+100%, exactly my experience in my 8 years of playing/buying guitars.

2018 Hinde custom 2 point Mandolin
2016 Kentucky KM-950 Mandolin
2016 Waterloo WL14 XTR "Tuxedo"
2015 Larrivee All-Hog 000-03 "Vintage"
2014 Ken Miller short scale slope dread
2011 Gibson "New Vintage" Southern Jumbo
2008 Fender Telecaster
Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 AM

This is one of the reasons that I build .
I shop in my wood pile , not someone else's .
You gotta wonder about the insecurities and egos of right handers .
Check earlier posts in this thread for verification .
Old 07-31-2013, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
This is one of the reasons that I build .
I shop in my wood pile , not someone else's .
You gotta wonder about the insecurities and egos of right handers .
Check earlier posts in this thread for verification

You must be reading a different thread...
Old 07-31-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post

You must be reading a different thread...
Cognitive issues ?
Since you are having difficulty understanding ...
I do my guitar shopping from my own wood pile and then build it . This way , I am not at the mercy of any shop other than my own .
Concerning the part that you highlighted , please refer to the Wade Hampton post .
Totally unnecessary and unrelated to the original topic .
Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Cognitive issues ?
Since you are having difficulty understanding ...
I do my guitar shopping from my own wood pile and then build it . This way , I am not at the mercy of any shop other than my own .
Concerning the part that you highlighted , please refer to the Wade Hampton post .
Totally unnecessary and unrelated to the original topic .
Regarding cognitive issues, I bolded the quoted text because that's what I was addressing. I couldn't care less about your woodpile.

I don't see WH's post as derogatory. You seem to have brought some baggage in with you.

Have fun with your woodpile and this thread...
Old 07-31-2013, 11:37 AM

A good luthier can adapt most any right guitar to left. In most cases it makes very little tone change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion