The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-16-2014, 05:50 PM

I love the way email4Eric put it... "I'm starting to consider Gibsons to be 'folk art' instruments that have a ton of soul and mojo but many 'rough edges' and 'uniqueness." I like that. And Love my J-35...rosette gap and all.

DC
2010 Trinity College TM375 Irish Bouzouki
2011 Guild F-130R (recently traded for GS Mini hog)
Old 06-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddie199 View Post
the person doing the rosette had the opportunity to fix it but let it go. That person doesn't care. The person performing the final inspection did not care.
More likely they figured, "Look, it's a millimeter of inconsequential cosmetic imperfection that has no bearing whatsoever on the sound or playability of an otherwise great guitar. Let's not send it to the dustbin over a decal glitch."
Old 06-16-2014, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
More likely they figured, "Look, it's a millimeter of inconsequential cosmetic imperfection that has no bearing whatsoever on the sound or playability of an otherwise great guitar. Let's not send it to the dustbin over a decal glitch."
Exactly.

My J-35 had more of a problem than a rosette decal. It was sent back on warranty due to ramping of the fretboard at the neck joint and because the frets had been dressed down so much to get it within Gibson spec, that the luthier couldn't do a setup! The guitar was "fixed" by having the bridge sanded down for clearance and a new, taller bone saddle installed. This approach worked but it seems that it shouldn't have been needed.

It still sounds fantastic but I'm a bit bummed that this occurred, that Gibson are such cheapskates with regard to their warranty claims, and that I had to go through the hassle and aggravation. But the guitar now has a story, remains a stunner, and most importantly, I didn't have to start the search over again (It took 6 copies to find "the one"). Gibson rusticity and loose tolerances may be related to that.

I still prefer the sound of an excellent Gibson over, say, a Taylor which will be impeccable in construction, nearly identical copy-to-copy, and flawless in finish. The Taylor likely will not have a decal problem but won't sound as individual as a Gibon will.

I'll put up with the flaws for the uniqueness and sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, j-35, quality control