The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-10-2014, 01:46 PM

Default The "Playing In" of wood - A Tale of Two Somogyi's

Had a rare opportunity this week to play two Somogyi's, both Sitka/Brazilian, both Dreads, one was built 1985 and one in 1986. The '86 was owned by a Windham Hill musician who played the heck out of it for many, many years. And it showed with all the scars that were visible all over the guitar. The '85 was owned by a guy who claimed the guitar had about 25 hrs. of playing time on it. And it showed, as this guitar was basically pristine. The difference in the sound was remarkable. Both guitars are nearly 30 years old and identically built but one sounded very, very aged from being played so much while the other sounded more like it was just off the shelf by comparison. The "played in" Somogyi had that dry, woody, airy sound reminiscent of the fabled pre-war Martins and Gibsons. The other guitar, while almost identical in build and age, sounded vastly different. To tell you the truth the pristine Somogyi suited my playing aesthetic better, but that is neither here nor there (it was actually a Mod D while the other was a straight Dread). To me, this was an excellent A/B comparison for realizing the effects of wood that has really been "played in" versus wood that hasn't.

Just thought I'd pass this experience on.

Bill
Old 06-10-2014, 02:03 PM

Interesting observation Bill. Sounds like a really fun experience, btw. (And, I'm sure that this give the tonerite crew some valuable ammunition )

Of course, there could be other factors at work, but your experience more-or-less mirrors my own, even with less vintage instruments. I'm not yet convinced that's it's necessarily a static condition, however.

It always surprises my how some instruments open up after a little playing time, my 16-year old Martin being a great example. She can be a bit of a cold-hearted *itch if she's been neglected for a while, but will eventually warm up with a little encouragement

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 PM

Interesting analysis, thanks for posting! Is the 86 Somogyi dread Mark O'Connor's old guitar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAZ7f2uy3ZY

Old 06-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

Though not exactly the same scenario as here, I am always a little dissapointed at how brittle, quiet and closed in new guitars are whenever I am occasionally in a shop. Sometimes there are exception and I get that open 3D sound - I'm suspicious whenever someone declares they are blown away by a brand new one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion