The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What is tonal quality MOSTLY derived from ?
Wood 14 14.14%
Finish 0 0%
Construction 64 64.65%
All equally 22 22.22%
Jury is still out 4 4.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Sure you would.
I would keep an open mind as far the tone goes.i wouldn't say that I didn't like it if it really sounded good.But theirs no doubt in my mind that those guitars are a ripoff.

He put it together literally using the cheapest wood possible. And then sold it to people for a giant profit.

Guitar prices really aren't based on how good they sound. They're much more based on a combination of materials, methods of construction, and reputation of builder
Old 06-15-2014, 10:29 PM

"Apparently you did not read what I wrote. The capability of the guitar is there already, the player does not change that, all the player does is bring it out. IT'S ALREADY THERE.

You wrote; "Elements just come together." Would that be all by themselves ?
Whatever is put into the instrument, is already there, it's takes the accomplished artist to bring it to it's ultimate potential."

It's obvious I did read it, and it's obvious you know that, hence your post.

You simply don't get it.

Poll lacks compass and the player is the key.

I admit, I don't have an open mind, (meaning I am not going to agree with you out of intimidation) 68 years, 54 of them playing guitar tells me what I need to know.
Building instruments since 1964 helps, owning over 100 guitars helps. Open mind, nope. Education and experience are my allies.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
But theirs no doubt in my mind that those guitars are a ripoff. He put it together literally using the cheapest wood possible. And then sold it to people for a giant profit.
I'm pretty sure his customers weren't coerced into buying. Your complaint seems to be that they agreed to pay more than you think they should have.

Quote:
Guitar prices really aren't based on how good they sound. They're much more based on a combination of materials, methods of construction, and reputation of builder
Then to those who bought the pallet guitar, his reputation and methods must be worth the price.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:54 PM

All accounts say the pallet guitar was a dog.

Do the research.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
I'm pretty sure his customers weren't coerced into buying. Your complaint seems to be that they agreed to pay more than you think they should have.

Then to those who bought the pallet guitar, his reputation and methods must be worth the price.
That's what I'm saying, they didn't need to be coerced into buying it, he knew that. He priced it at what the market would be bear obviously, I'm not saying he did anything wrong. If I could put together a guitar as cheap as possible and sell it for a ridiculous price I would do it as well, sounds like a good idea to me.

If he had sold just one of these, it might have been Something that gained value over the years. But he got greedy IMO and made too many, as so the prices are dropping like flies

Here's a quote from another member talking about the description of one of them

Quote:
To quote the description: It is important to note that there is a crack that runs 3/4 of the length of the guitar on the back, center. Not a full crack, this is a signature of the Pallet Guitar and will probably have more with time, as one Taylor Employee once said, "This guitar is Guaranteed to Crack".
I guess I'm derailing the thread a bit, I'll stop now. But It does kind of get on my nerves a bit

Last edited by Teleman52; 06-16-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

My thought is that up to a point, the quality of the build ( ie, skill of the luthier ) is absolutely most important, but that you reach a point where the skill becomes secondary to the quality of the material. I agree that a lot of fine material is wasted on inexperienced or poor builders ( but I may be in that group -). Finish can make a good build look horrible, but unless its REALLY badly done, or a completely inappropriate material used, it will have far less effect tonally.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:49 PM

Ive been studying construction for a long time and am an amateur builder and player whatever weight that may hold. My statement is that the tone is in the construction. Note the different sound that comes from different builders. It is the wood that modifies the sound. Notice the variation of sound within a builders products. There is a signature Lowden sound but the cedar top sounds different than the spruce. Similarly there is a Martin sound but the different woods make them predictably different sounding. Its obvious so I dont see what the arguement is about.
Having said that shoddy, materials or workmanship produce an inferior product. Taylors prove my thesis, they all sound like Taylors but vary by the wood used. A pallet or 2X can be used to build a guitar but it wont be a good guitar.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
If he had sold just one of these, it might have been Something that gained value over the years. But he got greedy IMO and made too many, as so the prices are dropping like flies
Here's a quote from another member talking about the description of one of them

To quote the description: It is important to note that there is a crack that runs 3/4 of the length of the guitar on the back, center. Not a full crack, this is a signature of the Pallet Guitar and will probably have more with time, as one Taylor Employee once said, "This guitar is Guaranteed to Crack".

I guess I'm derailing the thread a bit, I'll stop now. But It does kind of get on my nerves a bit
AFAIK, Bob Taylor did in fact make just one of them, at least initially. He received so many requests to buy the guitar (that he built to prove a point about workmanship versus materials) he decided to make a limited run of 25 to meet this demand. Again, he's a smart business man, but it's wrong to imply that it's somehow nefarious of a guitar maker to make instruments that people want to buy, even if those buyers wrongly conclude that it's a good investment.

It's also important that anyone coming to this thread at a later point realizes that the quote in italics above about the pallet guitar being "guaranteed to crack" is a quote (of a quote, of a quote) attributed to Taylor Employee from an Ebay listing that's trying to justify/explain the crack in the guitar being listed at the time. One should take that for what it's worth.

That anyone is apparently so bothered by the price of the guitar and its subsequent devaluation is surprising. These comments betray a misunderstanding of the purpose of the pallet guitar.

I guess we can go get pissed about people taking Zomething Already Grossly Evident Really, and trying to make money off it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion